autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Undercoating a summer only car

Hello,
    Just wondering - should I rust proof a summer only driven car? The car is 11 years old, but it's in immaculate condition with no signs of rust anywhere. I'm gonna keep it in heated garage all year round, and only drive it during the summer. Is rust proofing something I should consider if I want to keep it in perfect shape or would it be a waste of money considering that I won't drive the car in winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Undercoating a summer only car

Are you sure that your car is not already rust proofed?

Post Thanks / Like

All steel panels including frame is galvanized steel.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably doesn't hurt nothing. We're not talking about a Mecum auction 1969 Yenko Camaro where you might depreciate its value.

But what's to gain if it's a garage queen? We have no idea where you live. Even if high humidity, I really know of no people who say live in Florida with high humidity, and find a need to resort to such measures.

I'd say invest in other protective and maintenance measures, a nice CTEK float charger from here if you don't already have one, once a year, perhaps right before winter, do yourself a nice wheel off clean up of wheel wells, wheels, tires, under-hood, etc.

The needed Oil changes, filters, and other services like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely not!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Probably doesn't hurt nothing. We're not talking about a Mecum auction 1969 Yenko Camaro where you might depreciate its value.

But what's to gain if it's a garage queen? We have no idea where you live. Even if high humidity, I really know of no people who say live in Florida with high humidity, and find a need to resort to such measures.

I'd say invest in other protective and maintenance measures, a nice CTEK float charger from here if you don't already have one, once a year, perhaps right before winter, do yourself a nice wheel off clean up of wheel wells, wheels, tires, under-hood, etc.

The needed Oil changes, filters, and other services like that.
    Northeast Ohio - can get humid and rainy in summer, but, again, the car is garaged - it will only be outside when I drive it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Are you sure that your car is not already rust proofed?
    It probably has some kind of factory undercoating, but I don't think the previous owner did any rust proofing - it's been always garaged and driven 3000 miles per year.

Post Thanks / Like

I say NOOOOOO!!

I thought it would be beneficial on my brand new sierra and it was everything but. It was from Zeibart which is the only option in my area. The truck was sprayed in May and it was dried and cracking before the first winter was over. I could see rust on my frame where it was cracked and flaking off. Total joke.

You're supposed to take it back once a year for resprays so all they are doing is covering it up and trapping moisture under the coating.

That overspray gets everywhere when they spray. I don't even want know how they wash vehicles after that.

Thank goodness this is a lease truck and I'm turning it in in 2 months. The original plan was to keep it and that why I did the undercoating but it's been hit twice by other people and I've hit 2 deer. The truck is cursed.

Maybe there are better
    Undercoatings out there but I will never try another one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see a problem doing it unless it's a classic or soon to be classic vehicle. Rustproofing doesn't really show but undercoating can look horrible if not done properly. Even the undercarriage and suspension parts of a summer Queen can start to rust eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yg1829 View Post
    I say NOOOOOO!!

I thought it would be beneficial on my brand new sierra and it was everything but. It was from Zeibart which is the only option in my area. The truck was sprayed in May and it was dried and cracking before the first winter was over. I could see rust on my frame where it was cracked and flaking off. Total joke.

You're supposed to take it back once a year for resprays so all they are doing is covering it up and trapping moisture under the coating.

That overspray gets everywhere when they spray. I don't even want know how they wash vehicles after that.

Thank goodness this is a lease truck and I'm turning it in in 2 months. The original plan was to keep it and that why I did the undercoating but it's been hit twice by other people and I've hit 2 deer. The truck is cursed.

Maybe there are better
    Undercoatings out there but I will never try another one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I agree with you 100%. I have a 2011 Silverado that has been to Ziebart and I hate it. I keep telling myself I won't go back for the undercoating renewal and I keep doing it. I am beyond pissed every single time I pick it up. I don't plan on taking it back next year. I can see where the undercoating is coming off in several spots and I have overspray on the back of my wheels and they get it everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast