autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

All in one products

How come some people do not like using an all in one product like HD SPEED or finishing sealant for paint correction? I mean it is permanently fixing the paint so why not?????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: All in one products

It's a compromise product. You lose a small amount of final polish to reduce work time. It's great for production detailing where time is money. I personally don't need to worry about time and I am looking for the best finish I can get.

Also, I have a strong preference for certain waxes and sealants. So using an AIO wouldn't be of much benefit if I'm going to make another pass with an LSP anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Brett said, it's a compromise product. It can do 2 things at once good but can't do either one great.

If you're looking for a quick way to amp up your gloss and reduce the amount of swirls and scratches a little bit then these AIOs will work. But you can't have an AIO completely remove swirls and scratches (unless the paint is soft), give mile deep gloss and reflections and provide the best protection and reflections. You need specialized products if you want to achieve perfect, show quality paint.

Paint correction can mean so many things. Are you looking for 100% paint correction that provides a flawless finish? 80%? 50%? What about the paint hardness? An AIO probably wouldn't do much on cars with hard paint. An AIO is another tool in your toolbox. You use it based on the situation, time constraints and customer expectations.

Like the saying goes - jack of all trades, master of none.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's they don't like it but are more satisfied with polishing and separate lsp. I kind of look at it this way
    Winter tires- the clear choice for cold winter driving but wear quickly with less performance in summer
    Summer tires- the best choice for performance in warmer climate and useless in winter
    All Season tires- passable in winter with less safety than dedicated winter tires, passable in summer but less performance
    AIO's will satisfy the majority of people but like mentioned above its a compromise on all accounts

Post Thanks / Like

AIO's can be an excellent maintain product once your car is in maintenance mode (free of as many scratches and swirls as possible).

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

I like the griots boss cream as an AIO. As mentioned you do sacrifice a little bit, but its polish and done.

Post Thanks / Like

So many people just want a basic "wax" service. The AIO facilitates this in the most economical and efficient way possible for me.

I like the idea that in those situations I can quickly zip through a reasonably well kept car, or I can use a polishing pad, like the Crimson Hydrotech, or White Flat, and get some pretty good refining of the paint, and be done with it.

Thus far Meguiar's M66 has been a great friend for that. I don't go past a polishing type pad, and prefer the Lake Country Black Finishing pad, but that's what makes the product so versatile.

On our personal daily drivers, I'm probably only going to need Duragloss 101, or 501.

Again, it's all about money. My AIO starts at $125.00, and takes two, sometimes three hours, and the customer is more than satisfied with the results.

Post Thanks / Like

I use hd speed on most customer cars, but Wolfgang 3.0 stuff on mine.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Side bar/ What is a reasonable expectation for the durability from the wax in say HD Speed?
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post

It's a compromise product. You lose a small amount of final polish to reduce work time.
    I respectfully disagree. It is what it is and it's a product that will do three steps in one step and it's probably the most popular consumer product category on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post

It's great for production detailing where time is money.
    I agree. And let me add, it's the perfect product for daily drivers. It's also the perfect product for detailing cars for other people that just want,

Shiny paint
    Clear windows
    Black tires
    Clean interior

And the above is the majority of the detailing market.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post

Like Brett said, it's a compromise product.

It can do 2 things at once good but can't do either one great.
    I respectively disagree.

Also, a good quality cleaner/wax does three things,

1. Cleans
    2. Polishes
    3. Seals

It's actually the perfect product for anything large, like planes, rvs and most boats, as long as they are not in too bad of condition.

I did this with a one-step cleaner/wax.

Same car that was in this movie...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

AIO's can be an excellent maintain product once your car is in maintenance mode (free of as many scratches and swirls as possible).

ScottH
    I agree.

In fact, while I keep a hi-tech ceramic coating on our SL 500 I use a lowly cleaner/wax on my truck.

The key with cleaner/waxes is the same with compounds and polishes and that's to choose cleaner/waxes that use GREAT abrasive technology. Some cleaner/waxes are horrible and micro-mar the paint when you use them.

I devote a entire session to using cleaner/waxes at my big three day class. It's called, Production Detailing.

Match a great cleaner/wax wit a wool pad on a FLEX 3401 and you have combination that will make quick work of boats in category 2 as described in my book, How To Detail Boats with Marine 31. In fact, I show this on the cover and the cover is the most valuable piece of realestate on a book.

While we used a dedicated compound and a dedicated polish to prep the paint - we used a one-step cleaner/wax to finish this old 2-door Ford and here are the awards it took...

Eric let us know that 1940 Ford Coupe buffed out and detailed by our Competition Ready Team won BEST PAINT! Plus 3 more awards.

Award #1 = Best Paint

Award #2 = Best in class

Award #3 = Best display

A multiple-step process will almost always create better results, been teaching that for year, in fact the first day of my 3-day class is DEDICATED to show car detailing, that is using a multiple step approach.

But never discount the value of a quality one-step cleaner/wax or as some like to call them... an AIO.

Cleaner/Wax or AIO same thing, different name even though there was a guy on this forum one time that tried to make the case they were different. (they're not)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast