autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Newbie questions

Hello. I'm Pete, and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you provide here. I am a bit overwhelmed by it all! I have searched the forum for a good 30 minutes and, while I have found a lot of great information, I still have two very basic questions.

I purchased a Porter Cable 7424, but I am unsure what pads I need to get started. I have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline in Pearl white. Other than the original detailing performed by the dealership, it has not been detailed. I think I would just like to start by washing off the nasty car wash "waxes", and then applying wax and removing it. I have Meguires Ultimate Wax (liquid), Meguires NXT (Liquid) and Rejex, each of which I have used when manually detailing my motorcycles. I know that there is a video on how to detail a new vehicle, but for now I just want to get a coat of wax on the truck.

• What can I use to remove the spray-on "wax" from my local touchless car wash? It seems to be a greasy mess. I imagine that ammonia is too harsh; I do not want to damage the finish.
    • What pads (and quantity of each) should I use to apply wax, and what pads should I use to remove it? I purchased an assortment of pads before I found this site, so I am pretty sure I'll need to get more / different pads. I know there are endless choices, I'm just looking for recommendations on what I can use to get started so I don't have to watch countless videos at first.

Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie questions

59 views so far and no replies. I have continued to read various posts, and have not found my answers concerning which pads to apply wax, and which to remove. I realize that it's more likely personal preference than an absolute, but would still appreciate your input.

It looks as if the suggested procedure is to:

Wash and dry
    Iron-X
    Clay
    and THEN wax or polish.

I have every intention of doing this properly once the weather breaks, but would like to wax it to protect it ASAP. Is this wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Since the PC 7424 is not that powerful you should be purchasing 5.5" THIN pads. I assume you purchased a 5" backing plate for the 7424. Here's a link http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country...foam-pads.html As you can see in the pad descriptions you would use either the red or black pad to apply wax. For removal of the wax after it is dry you don't use the polisher--just buff off with a microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Since the PC 7424 is not that powerful you should be purchasing 5.5" THIN pads. I assume you purchased a 5" backing plate for the 7424. Here's a link http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thinpro-5-inch.html As you can see in the pad descriptions you would use the red pad to apply wax. For removal of the wax after it is dry you don't use the polisher--just buff off with a microfiber towel.
    Yes, I have a 5" backing plate. Thank you for the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are only using the PC to apply wax you could use about any soft light cut to no cut foam pad.

If you plan on trying to remove paint defects then the smaller (5.5") and thinner pads would be recommended. The thinner the pad is the less mass there is and the better the pad should rotate. Mike P says you can't correct without pad rotation.

Something like a cleaner wax or an all in one (AIO) would be good for your situation. Basically it a "wax" with mild abrasives mixed in that will clean, polish, and protect all in one step.

Here's a good thread on them.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...x-cleaner.html

Most will also recommend at least claying the paint first, but if you just want to get it waxed you could always plan on that later. One problem with claying is that it almost always has the potential to marr the paint. It's not hard to fix and cleaner wax or AIO should do that without much work.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I have any AIO at this time. I do think that I have a bottle of paint cleaner somewhere, either Mothers or McGuire's. In May, or if we get a warm weekend before then, I'll try my hand in doing it right as is recommended in the many threads I have read. In the meantime, I'll check out the thread you have recommended. I'll order some thin pads and some microfiber towels. I know I have a lot to learn, and it appears that lack of information is NOT a problem on this site!

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of telling people with little experience to use an AIO. Mixing polish(and the oils with them) with a sealant can lead to a big mess. I would use your paint cleaner and follow with a non-staining (as in plastic and rubber) sealant.

Get some Meguiars 205 (or any of the better polishes/compounds regularly mentioned on the site) latter and practice with it until you are sure you know how to avoid getting product everywhere. Then try an AIO.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Just ordered pads and towels. Perhaps I can add the 205 before the order is prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, then buy a good AIO like Optimum Poli-Seal if you do decide to someday. I intentionally use it on trim. It cleans it up and looks great. I wouldn't use it really wet and let it bake in the sun without wiping it off, but you wouldn't want to do it with a wax or polish either.

You can make mess with any product if you use too much, including a liquid wax.

For wax, you want to apply it thin and use sparingly.

Post Thanks / Like

1st of all Welcome to AGO! I have the PC7424XP too and love it and still use it. To remove the wax, there are several "Wax Removal" Products AGO sells. That might take care of your removing wax. The Pad I would use would probably be a white pad. Or you can use an IPA Isolpropyl Alcohol mix and use a couple of MF towels to remove the wax. But after you wash your vehicle I would suggest Claying your vehicle.

The Pads that I use for the PC are goes as follows

Lake Country CCS Orange Pads = Compounding Pads for scratch and swirl remover products.
    Lake Country CCS White Pads = Polishing Pads for smoothing out the scratches from the Compound Polish.
    Lake Country CCS Black, Red or Gold = LSP (Last Step Product) whether it be sealant or Wax. So to answer one of your questions on wax application, these are the pads that take care of it. There really isn't much of a difference in terms of Pad softness (IMO) for the Black, Red or Gold. I prefer the Gold in this case just because.

As for the 5" Backing Plate and your Pads...that is (IMO) the limit of the PC7424XP effectiveness. The PC will run better with smaller pads and smaller BP. The max BP I will use now is the 4" Backing Plate with pads.

I can't give any comment on the products you use as I do not use any Meguire's products.

But if it were me, I would look into the Mike Phillips how to section and get one of his Books on how to detail. I have his Old book that he no longer sells as the updated version s the newest one. I hope I helped a little.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast