autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie looking to polish a black Volkswagen GTI

Hello,
    First time poster here. I recently purchased a 2014 Volkswagen GTI for my 16-year old daughter. (Color is a deep black pearl) Based on some research, I'm looking to purchase a Porter Cable 7424XP, some B&S flat pads, and I'll be using the 3D HD Speed polish. (Primarily for it's paint correction capabilities and not as an AIO) I will be using Collinate 845 as my LSP.

My question is regarding pad color. Would I be safe with going with the Orange pad considering it's VW paint (hard?) and that I'm using HD Speed? I'm just looking to remove some light swirls and minor scratches. I don't want to risk damaging the paint in any way but I feel that the less aggressive pads (white/green) may not be enough to produce decent results on the VW paint. Anyone have any experience with these pads and HD Speed that can make a recommendation? I'm trying to avoid having to test a bunch of different colors if at all possible. Thanks in advance!

- Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie looking to polish a black Volkswagen GTI

If you're not buying Speed for it's AIO then go with HD Polish +. Then top with 845.

Always do a test spot first and make your decsion on pad and product combo from your test results.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Virtually all members here would say to use the least aggressive methods and products. That one can always step up their game again if needed.

Decontaminating the paint is always the best plan first, to rid the paint of such.

Meaning wash, and clay, possible Iron decon prior to polishing. It's like painting, start with a clean easel.

If it was me, and even though you say hard paint, I'd probably go with a milder product, and a less aggressive pad. Something like white Lake Country 5.5" Thin Pro Pads, and products like Meguiars #205, or Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

Truth is, these products might produce satisfactory results, and then again might not be adequate. Hard to say, cause no one here is personally witnessing what the paint looks like, and to see what it needs for proper correction.

The general rule of thumb would be the proverbial "test spot", where you try a couple different products, and find which will work best.

Perhaps one sole product "might" work adequately, or in some instances, many detailers need to resort to a 2-step polishing process to get desired end results.

Post Thanks / Like

We have two VW's---one is a non metallic black 2012 Golf. I use the B&S orange almost exclusively on both VWs--you'll need it for the hard clear and it finishes LSP ready. If you're new to machine polishing I would use HD Speed with an orange B&S flat pad for your first try at this, but as mentioned above HD Polish+ has more cut which would make your job a little easier. I would also suggest you consider the Griots 6 polisher. It has considerably more power and a lifetime warranty. Equip it with a Griots 5" vented backing plate and the B&S 5.5" pads and you're good to go. Also, pick up a Griots 3" HD backing plate and some Griots 3" Boss pads for the tight areas like bumpers, B pillars etc. Also, make sure you get enough pads --at least 5 of the orange pads and then a couple of the red pads if you want to apply the 845 with the polisher.

With HD products less is more--no priming of the pad with product or any type of spray. 4to 5 pea sized drops for your first section then 3 pea sized drops for each additional section and clean your pad on the fly after every other section.

Post Thanks / Like

i recommend searching thru autogeeks online store and check out their kits. Wash kits,decontamination kits, and buffing kits. Porter cable or griots garage polishing machines order them with the extra long power cords.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been away on business travel, but hopefully the OP is still active here. I own and daily drive the exact same car in the same color. The paint is hard, but not impossible to correct.

I have found the Blackfire SRC Duo work very well. Over time I've found I can use several combinations of pads and those two products to correct every issues I've encountered with the car.

Here is my approach:

Removing normal/light wash induced swirls: Blackfire SRC Compound on a white Lake Country Flat Pad or Blackfire SRC Polish on a orange Lake Country Flat Pad. Both work with almost identical results and finish out LSP ready

Jeweling/Amping the shine: Blackfire SRC Polish on a white Lake Country Flat Pad really polishes out the paint to a high level of gloss/shine

Stubborn Marring: Blackfire SRC Compound with an orange Flat Pad will cure many issues.

Hopefully the paint isn't in such bad shape you'll need to go to a more aggressive compound like Menzerna 400. The Blackfire Compound seems to be around the same level of cut as what other companies call their "Swirl" removers.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've been away on business travel, but hopefully the OP is still active here. I own and daily drive the exact same car in the same color. The paint is hard, but not impossible to correct.

I have found the Blackfire SRC Duo work very well. Over time I've found I can use several combinations of pads and those two products to correct every issues I've encountered with the car.

Here is my approach:

Removing normal/light wash induced swirls: Blackfire SRC Compound on a white Lake Country Flat Pad or Blackfire SRC Polish on a orange Lake Country Flat Pad. Both work with almost identical results and finish out LSP ready

Jeweling/Amping the shine: Blackfire SRC Polish on a white Lake Country Flat Pad really polishes out the paint to a high level of gloss/shine

Stubborn Marring: Blackfire SRC Compound with an orange Flat Pad will cure many issues.

Hopefully the paint isn't in such bad shape you'll need to go to a more aggressive compound like Menzerna 400. The Blackfire Compound seems to be around the same level of cut as what other companies call their "Swirl" removers.
    X2. Did my wife's 2010 black sportwagen with the Blackfiire SRC duo with fantastic results. Orange LC CCS pad for cut, White CCS for polish. I used the GG6 on the entire vehicle. BF SRC compound finishes extremely nice.

FWIW, I just did a 2007 Q7 this past weekend (with perhaps your exact color) and had good success with megs m100, wool polishing pad on my PE-14, followed by m205 on a white hybrid pad on my 3401. This vehicle was very chewed up and required a multi step correction.

M205 does have a reasonable amount of cut though, and with a free floating DA, usually finishes down just fine. Id say HD polish + is preferred for finishing over m205, but m205 may have a tiny bit more cut. And with HD polish, "less is more."

Post Thanks / Like

Fellow GTI owner here. If you are close N Illinois S. Wisconsin. I would be happy to help you out