autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKees 37 Paint Coating - Resistence to Scratches/Swirls

Dear Forum Members,

For those using McKees 37 paint coating, what is your real-life experience when it comes making your paint less susceptible to scratches and wash-induced swirl marks? Do you see a noticeable difference in preventing minor scratches and swirls? Also, how many of you opt to layer a sealant or carnauba wax on top of it for additional protection or shine (or just because you enjoy it).

I am strongly considering applying it to my new Audi (new to me, 2014) as a "base" layer of protection, and then from time to time applying a hand-laid application of sealant (Hi Def) or carnauba wax.

Thanks,
    ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKees 37 Paint Coating - Resistence to Scratches/Swirls

I want to know too.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is ever scratch/mar-proof, but I have seen some improvement. However, I don't know if that is from the surface being so much easier to wash or if it's the actual coating providing some resistance to the marring.

Last fall I coated my wife's Toyota Highlander. The paint on the vehicle is very soft and seems to swirl from wind passing over it. I am always very careful when washing, but after six months I'm starting to see very faint swirls from the washing process start to appear. However, this year after six months from the last time the car the car was lightly polished it still looks really good. I'm seeing very few, if any signs, of abuse. While the coating itself may be providing some resistance to marring, I thing the biggest contributer is how much easier the product it is to clean the vehicle. The car get's daily driven on rural state highways and it's always filthy this time of year. With the coating, a good rain or hard blast from a hose rinses off the majority of the heavy grime. Following up with a gentle pass with a wash mit and a quality shampoo is all it takes to get it clean. Drying is a breeze since most of the water sheets right off and I just dab away any remaining water. I contribute the lack of marring to this more than anything else.

Probably not the definitive answer you were looking for...I'd give it a solid, "maybe".
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think the biggest contributer is how much easier the product it is to clean the vehicle.
    With the coating, a good rain or hard blast from a hose rinses off the majority of the heavy grime.
    I echo Desertnate's comments and I'll add my own. Cleaning a car that was properly prepped and coated can be extremely easy. I have Mckee's 37 paint coating on the passenger's side of my Challenger and it is always quicker to clean and dry than the driver's side that has whatever wax or sealant I'm playing with at the time. Rinseless washing and drying the passenger side is a much "smoother" experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with a coating, but since I started using FK1000 as my LSP I've noticed that my car has far less minor swirling. Since FK1000 doesn't claim to add any hardness to the paint I have to assume it's because it is so slick--rain/water just jumps off the paint and washing and drying are so much easier than any other LSP I've used. So I would assume the slickness of a coating would produce the same results.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys thanks for the responses so far. Is the coating your LSP, or do you chose to layer something on top? If so, what?

Many thanks!
    ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Guys thanks for the responses so far. Is the coating your LSP, or do you chose to layer something on top? If so, what?

Many thanks!
    ScottH
    The coating is all I use, but I've never been one to layer products. With coatings, I expect them to look great and protect my car without the need for anything else on top. On occasion I will hit the vehicle with a little QD, but that is simply to remove any random post-wash water spots, bird droppings, or dog drool (I have a Great Dane...don't ask...). However they are never applied to the entire vehicle. Even if I did apply it everywhere, I seriously doubt a QD would add more than a week or two of protection, at best.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

Many thanks!
    ScottH
    Scott,

The coating will be your LSP. Some people like to top their coatings just because they want the look of the topper and the protection and longevity of the coating. But whatever you use to top your coating with will not last as long as normal because coatings prevent things from bonding to your paint.

Any spray wax, wax or sealant can be used to top the coating but not really necessary. I myself use D156 or FastWax after every wash. But I choose to do this because I want to "boost" the protection and it takes a very short time to do so. Just a FYI, my coatings are OC2.0 and WG Uber Ceramic Coating.

Here's a quote from Nick@McKee's37 with regards to maintaining the McKee's 37 Paint Coating:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@McKees37 View Post
    Great questions Don.

Wash Soap: McKee's 37 Power Wash

Quick Detailer: McKee's 37 High Gloss Detail Spray

A drying aid wouldn't be necessary, but if that's something you like to do then you can use High Gloss Detail Spray.

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility is very important, especially with coatings. I would recommend staying in the same family of products.
    Source: How to best maintain McKee's 37 Paint Coating?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I'd add this to maintain it as well every now and then along with the previous mentioned products.

McKee’s 37 Hydro Blue Sio2 Coating

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have it on my truck, my dad's 2016 ram 3500. I just put it on my wife's 2015 expedition. My truck is properly washed always my dad uses a brush half the time to wash his truck. After 1 year he has swirls but I haven't seen anything that bad specially for his poor washing methods. My truck there are no swirls at all but I'm always a two bucket or onr Gary Dean method wash. All depends on how you maintain it imo. It helps but it will not make swirls non existent if not washed right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast