autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New glass coating

It's time for me to try a new glass coating and am looking for some input. I'm currently using PBL glass coating. and don't really care for it. I can only get 3-4mo out of it for some reason, so I'm giving up in it. I have used aquapel in the past with good results. I'm tempted to just go back to it, but want to see if there's something I may be missing out on.

Which glass coating should I go with next and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New glass coating

Sorry I am no help, but I have a couple questions if you have a moment.

1. What did you do for prep?
    2. What kind of mileage do you drive in those 3-4 months?
    3. Could you please describe the failure?

The reason I ask this is, I am planning to recoat my glass tonight with PBL. I have had in on 11 months now. I notice my failure in the wiper area, but outside of that it still beads and moves slowly. Not nearly as quick as when it was fresh. Mine is garage kept, and since I first put in on I've maybe put 4500 miles on it. I am just curious about your experience, and why it only lasted 3-4 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Mckees 37 has served me well. Lasts well over a year. Takes a winter beating and asks for more.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently using PBL and apply it every 2 months. Considering the size of the bottle, it will easy last me several years. I apply at this frequency because I do wash the car at least once a week, and then there's the weather it is exposed to. So this works for me, and very well might I add. The water runs off the windshield quickly/easily.

Will try Mckees37 after I run out though....

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Opti glass is great. Nit a very good value if you only use it on one or two cars because of the size of the bottle.
    I recently purchased the CarPro Fly by 30 kit. I haven't used it yet but have read a lot of positive reviews.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Sorry I am no help, but I have a couple questions if you have a moment.

1. What did you do for prep?
    2. What kind of mileage do you drive in those 3-4 months?
    3. Could you please describe the failure?
    1. This last time I applied it after I had my windshield replaced due to rock damage. So I cleaned it with glass cleaner, and follows that with the PBL surface cleaner. I think applied it extremely liberally to make sure there was an adequate amount. Then spread and remove per the directions. I think I've used it about five times so far and have never gotten remotely close to the claimed durability.

2. I drive 50mi per day for work and then wherever else I have to go. So I will say it's roughly 1200-1500 a month. I average about 14-15k miles per year. I live in east TN so I get the full range of seasons. However this last time I applied in December and it's gone in March. No appreciable amount of salt on the roads to say it was especially harsh conditions.

3. The path where the wipers are is no loner beading or clearing itself. Water lays flat on the surface. There's some beading and movement outside of the wiper area, however it's degraded to the point I would consider to be of use.

If it helps, this truck is kept outside year round. I've seen slightly greater durability on my wife's vehicle that's low miles and garage kept, but I would say six months on hers would be about right.

Post Thanks / Like

New glass coating

I see that mckees mentioned. I was under the impression the black label line was a step above that. Is that not the case?

Scott, I may have to do like you're doing and try to apply more often. I just feel like the performance I'm seeing is far from what it should be. I bought the product because I thought I'd not be applying it like I would have to use rainx.