autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

backing plates kept breaking down

just went through the 2nd backing plate (DA) this year. the foam facing fell off from the metal back. luckily the damage was minimal. this one (and the other one that broke down earlier this year and another two broken down last year) belongs to a pretty popular brand (also carried by autogeek) which I will keep anonymous here. but seems like these backing plate has some innate design flaws that during working they cannot withstand the heat and the foam part separates apart from the metal part.

I am not a professional detailer and only polish cars occasionally. the DA is a GG polisher which is not regarded as the most powerful one I believe. taken all together, I would have to say the frequency of these backing plate to break down is quite high and disappointing.

would like to switch to a different brand so I do have to worry about flying backing plates/pads. any one can recommend me a brand that has really reliable/durable backing plate?
    backing plates kept breaking down-20170319_192936-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: backing plates kept breaking down

CAN'T HELP RE THE ALTERNATE BRAND SORRY , BUT THE FREQENCY OF FAILURE YOU ARE HAVING IS EITHER BAD LUCK, OR YOUR METHOD IS CAUSING EXCESSIVE HEAT E.G. OVERLY HIGH LOAD AND HIGH SPEED, WITH TOO LONG A WORK TIME / WORK SIZE...

DO YOU HAVE PADS COLLAPSING TOO? IF YES THEN A PROCESS CHANGE MAY SAVE YOU HEADACHES.. IF NOT THEN YOU SEEM TO HAVE VERY BAD LUCK..

(sorry just noticed caps was on.. ah well.. )

Post Thanks / Like

If you're referring to the GG6, I would strongly recommend buying their vented backing plate. I never had my LC backing plate fail on my GG6, but that combo would eat pads like tic tacs. I never had a problem in 14 years with the same backing plate on my PC, but the GG6 seems to generate a lot more heat.

Post Thanks / Like

GG6 is pretty damn strong. I really like GG's 5 inch vented backplate.
    Maybe you over tighten the backplate,applying too much pressure... on speed 6 too long.
    I use the GG6 for wax and sealant and the g15 for compound and polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to think of why this would happen. Are you possibly missing the compression washer on the back side of the plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I'm trying to think of why this would happen. Are you possibly missing the compression washer on the back side of the plate?
    heat. running it on high speed setting (6) for long periods with lots of pressure sometimes as well. not saying it was this in the OP's case, but can happen...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PC that seems to run a little hot. I'm using a 3M 20206 5" plate with it. It has a network of cooling holes and channels that keep the pad cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not go with the Griots BP?

It may be more expensive but should be backed by their warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

To have one failure would seem like a manufacturing flaw (build enough of anything and you're bound to have a bum one), but multiple failures sounds like maybe something about your process. As others have mentioned - too high a sustained speed, too much pressure, etc?

Are your pads and backing plates from the same manufacturer? Maybe mismatched hook and loop styles are allowing the pad to generate too much heat against the backing plate.

Another thought is angle of attack. From this thread: Edging the DA... A Game Changer

In the thread, Mike Phillips brings up the point of the forces involved when running your DA at an angle and how they can be hard on backing plates.

Not holding the pad flat to the surface
    Another factor that causes DA Backing plates to break is anytime you hold the buffing pad on edge instead of flat to the surface. When you hold a DA Polisher at an angle so that more pressure is applied to just one edge of a buffing pad you create more force against the arbor where it mounts into the backing plate and against the spindle where the 5/16" arbor attaches to the DA Polisher.

Because the design of a DA Polisher incorporates an oscillating action the effect when holding a pad on edge is to have more force then less force, then more force then less force on the 5/16" arbor as well as the spindle.

The results are more broken backing plates and more broken DA Polishers. The oscillating action is already violent at high speeds under pressure, holding the pad with more pressure to just an edge of the pad increases fatigue of all the affected components.
    As others have mentioned, I'd go with the GG vented backing plate.