autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Restoration on 2009 Mercedes E320

Headlight restoration on a 2009 Mercedes E320.

The factory coating has begun to fail. In order to restore, the factory coating will be removed by sanding and then the sanding marks will be refined and removed.

This is after using 320 grit sanding discs (dry). All the factory coating has been removed. Double layer of tape to protect surrounding paint.

This is after using 500 grit sanding discs (dry) to refine the 320 grit marks.

This is after using 800 grit sanding discs (dry) to refine the 500 grit marks.

This is after using 1000 grit sanding discs (wet) to refine the 800 grit marks. Clarity being restored.

This is after using 2000 grit sanding disc (wet) to refine the 1000 grit marks.

Griots Garage Mini Polisher was used for the entire process.

This is after using 3000 grit sanding disc (wet) to refine the 2000 grit marks. Almost there.

This is after using McKee's compound and purple foamed wool 3" pad.

This is after using McKee's polish and 3.5" LC ThinPro white polishing pad.

Thin pads help give the GG Mini good rotation.

The headlights were coated with Wolfgang coating.

Forgot to take the final shots but they looked the same as after the polishing step.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration on 2009 Mercedes E320

Excellent write up and a job well done! Very much appreciated how you showed your step by step process with each product used. Nicely done. Headlight Restoration on 2009 Mercedes E320🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Turned out great frank!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Headlight restoration on a 2009 Mercedes E320.

The factory coating has begun to fail. In order to restore, the factory coating will be removed by sanding and then the sanding marks will be refined and removed.

This is after using 320 grit sanding discs (dry). All the factory coating has been removed. Double layer of tape to protect surrounding paint.

This is after using 500 grit sanding discs (dry) to refine the 320 grit marks.

This is after using 800 grit sanding discs (dry) to refine the 500 grit marks.

This is after using 1000 grit sanding discs (wet) to refine the 800 grit marks. Clarity being restored.

This is after using 2000 grit sanding disc (wet) to refine the 1000 grit marks.

Griots Garage Mini Polisher was used for the entire process.

This is after using 3000 grit sanding disc (wet) to refine the 2000 grit marks. Almost there.

This is after using McKee's compound and purple foamed wool 3" pad.

This is after using McKee's polish and 3.5" LC ThinPro white polishing pad.

Thin pads help give the GG Mini good rotation.

The headlights were coated with Wolfgang coating.

Forgot to take the final shots but they looked the same as after the polishing step.
    Looks very nice and a quality job that will last.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job! I need one of those GG minis

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight restorations are one of my favorite things because you sand it down and think "did I just destroy this??" and then you slowly bring it back to 'as new'. It's the biggest transformation I know of in detailing.

I restored my headlights a month ago and started with a small palm sander and 320 grit pads, then 600 grit. Had to switch to a sanding block after that due to no finer sandpaper that fit my palm sander. Wetsanded with 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit. Then M105/Thinpro Gray and M205/Thinpro White to clean it up. It took several rounds with Meguiars to get it to my liking, but turned out great.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really necessary to go through all of the sanding steps. I have had similar results on our 4runners, bmws, benz', chevy's and many other plastic headlights by using rules uhs or HD speed. No sanding, just about five minutes per headlight and a crystal clear finish. Thanks. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the severity of the flaws. If you got good results with your method, you probably had pretty minor issues. My headlights weren't too bad but I was going for perfection. But if you ever notice the frosted over headlights on some cars (Dodge Neons are notorious for that) you'd automatically resort to sanding. But it's just like correcting paint. Only do as much work as you need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    Is it really necessary to go through all of the sanding steps. I have had similar results on our 4runners, bmws, benz', chevy's and many other plastic headlights by using rules uhs or HD speed. No sanding, just about five minutes per headlight and a crystal clear finish. Thanks. Phil
    It depends.

If it's just oxidation and then you can probably get away with just polishing.

If the factory coating has failed, then sanding will be required.

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Restoration on 2009 Mercedes E320

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    Depending on which headlights you're dealing with and how far gone they are will usually dictate whether you can get away with your 5 min. method of simply polishing them to perfection. [IME higher end luxury cars tend to have the most beast headlights to try and simply polish to perfection even if they need minimal correction]

Try and just polish/compound some headlights like this on a BMW...

And there's no way on earth you'll fully succeed. I was able to get this far and this was after 30min. of going at it with Mckee's AIO Headlight Restoring Polish and a 3" Gray Thinpro.

Far from perfect, but improved. But alot of work for the incomplete charge...

Cheaper/ordinary cars tend to be a complete breeze to correct with just a quik polish. At least in my experience with them...

VW Passat:

Took less than a min. with the polisher.

Toyotas = easy
    Luxury cars = beast
    That's the conclusion I've come to. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast