autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I wax or not?

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and to the world of detailing my vehicles. I've just done my first real detail on my wife's Sequoia. I spent way too many hours over the past few days working on the paint to get rid of swirls and imperfections. It's not perfect but it is sooooo much better. I applied Jetseal all over the paint and now I'm wondering if I should apply a wax over the top of that. I've read a lot of posts on here saying to do this, don't do that, use this, don't use that. I'm a little confused and just looking for suggestions from the knowledge base here.

Should I apply a wax now? Should I wait? What wax should I apply?

I'd like to do it tomorrow if possible so if there are OTC recommendations that is greatly appreciated but I'm open to all suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I wax or not?

no.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Your good with not putting anything over top of Jet seal. Look at my avatar picture that is just the Jet Seal applied over black light. Gone pretty much 8 months still beads.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

JetSeal topped with Petes 53 kicks butt, especially on black. No harm in leaving as is, however

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you hit all the spots with the Jetseal, you're fine.

If the wax has no cleaners or abrasives, you're ok to put a layer on top. Some feel the layer of wax makes the paint look deeper. I'm on the fence about it. From a protection standpoint, you're probably better off putting another layer of Jetseal on top of the first layer, just in case you might have missed some spots. And if you want, you can still put a wax on top of the second layer.

When I put wax on top of a sealant, it's mainly just because I enjoy applying a quality paste wax after everything else has been done. Feels kinda therapeutic to me, and it's like putting the icing on the cake. That and it helps me justify all the detailing products I buy. ha

Post Thanks / Like

"Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will follow your plan of applying a second layer of sealant over the first dmayer.

I looked into that Dodo Juice BV Pro and I couldn't find anybody that had anything bad to say about it. I wish I could buy some while they have it on sale but it would break the car budget for this month so I'll have to put that on the wish list. I think it would suit the dark blue paint on her truck perfectly.

Here's a couple of not good pictures I took of the fender before and after paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like

What did u use to correct the paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening. First off, WOW! Great job! I say yes. Over 2 coats JetSeal even better. Why? In JAN I did my first major paint correction on '05 Norsea Blue metallic Ford Escape, used JetSeal topped with Meguiar's M26. It looks and feels amazing, still beading up like the devil after rain (yes, folks, we do get some rain in San Diego, TG). The gloss and depth are beautiful on this paint color. Yeah, I'll have to repeat the M26 if I want to by next month probably, and that's a-ok with me.

All of that being said, why don't you have some fun with it, and do a 50/50 test (tape a line front to back, hood to tailgate and only wax half)? Then just wash, dry, QD over the next couple months. We'd love to hear the results on that!

PS: Did you JetSeal the wheels?
    1994 300ZX 2+2 MT, sole owner, 239K mi
    2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD
    2014 Maserati Quattroporte GTS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Krohnj94, I used a GG6 with BOSS Correcting Cream. I used a GG 5" MF Fast Cutting Pad for the first pass and then followed it up with an orange correcting pad for the second pass and any areas that needed touch up. I really would have benefited from a more aggressive compound for a lot of it but was very limited on available funds since I was starting from nothing and this is just for me to feel good about our DDs. This is our family truckster and the vehicle that my wife drives for real estate most of the time. It gets abused but still has to look good. You know, professional appearance and all. I was worried about the paint degrading because Toyota isn't really known for their wonderful quality paints and clear coats.

Flyinlow, I'd love to see a picture of yours with the wax on top of it. And I think it would be fun to do the experiment you suggested cause I'm a nerd and I like to learn stuff. Haha. I probably won't though just because I have pretty limited time with five kids and all of their activities. I had a little break from work and decided to eat this whale while I could hoping that it would provide protection and make it easier to maintain while keeping her out of the drive through car wash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.