autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass Coating or Ech2o?

Trying to decide on whether or not to get a specific glass coating or just use Ech2o on the glass as it would seem to almost end up with similar results? What do you guys think? Is there a big difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass Coating or Ech2o?

As far as longevity and protection there would be no comparison. Ech2o is supposed to be a cleaner and gloss enhancer and not so much for protection.

Are you using a mix with Reload or another type product in it? If so, and you want to keep up maintenance with that it would probably perform pretty decently compared to a coating would as far as hydrophobic behavior goes. I know that I had used the Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Cleaner for a long time and it always made it seem like I had a coating on my glass even when I didn't, but I was constantly cleaning my glass.

I like my coated glass. No fighting a product/multiple towels involved. Just one spray of D120 or whatever I have, wipe, flip, wipe again, clean protected glass. Easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Glass Coating or Ech2o?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    As far as longevity and protection there would be no comparison. Ech2o is supposed to be a cleaner and gloss enhancer and not so much for protection.

Are you using a mix with Reload or another type product in it? If so, and you want to keep up maintenance with that it would probably perform pretty decently compared to a coating would as far as hydrophobic behavior goes. I know that I had used the Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Cleaner for a long time and it always made it seem like I had a coating on my glass even when I didn't, but I was constantly cleaning my glass.

I like my coated glass. No fighting a product/multiple towels involved. Just one spray of D120 or whatever I have, wipe, flip, wipe again, clean protected glass. Easy.
    Well I mixed my 1st batch of Ech2o with Reload, but I've decided to stick with just straight Ech2o@10:1 from now on.. I normally use Megs D120 to clean my glass, but recently I find myself using Megs D114 about half the time as it seems to work fine.

In the end it sort of seems like we're going to end up cleaning our glass regularly regardless, no? Reason I say that is because you mention cleaning your coated glass with D120.

As far as the coating I'm thinking about getting, it's the Beasleys Glass IQ.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like IQ is a glass cleaner that leaves a sealant behind and not a true coating. $15 for 4 oz's seems costly. Seems similar to Optimum Opti-Glass Clean and Protect.

Why not invest in an actual glass coating like McKee's 37? It works well..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Looks like IQ is a glass cleaner that leaves a sealant behind and not a true coating. $15 for 4 oz's seems costly. Seems similar to Optimum Opti-Glass Clean and Protect.

Why not invest in an actual glass coating like McKee's 37? It works well..
    Way to rain on my parade... I already ordered it.Glass Coating or Ech2o?lol.

Actually I got kinda excited after reading it's description, but it made me think whether I could just use Ech2o and see similar results.. In the end the fact that they say it can be used on interior glass as well and on top of that they claim it works as an anti fog which sounds great. Plus they're bold enough to suggest it needs to be re applied every 6months which is a pretty long time. [sounds pretty durable to me]

You say more of a sealant than a coating?

$15 - 20% = $11.99+Free Shipping which made my cheapo criteria.Glass Coating or Ech2o?

$35 for the typical Glass Coating, not so much.

I'll see how it performs and you can expect the honest feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

"IME" Ech02 does no more then a multitude of detailing sprays / waterless wash / ONR achieve... ie light cleaning and leaves a trace gloss enhancer and can in some cases be e little more finicky to remove.. not hard just requiring a final inspection after a seperate buff..

As a finishing LSP, Hydrophobics are less pronounced than reload, the shine no better less than reload, application is no easier or harder than reload... so in my case I use reload...

So specifically for your question, yes a glass coating would out perform EchO2...

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on glass coatings. My front windshield is a pitted mess from freeway rock chips what's the point. Same goes for any paint not covered by PPF. Getting to the point where it feels like a futile effort to keep a DD looking good. Anyway, spray sealants seem to hold up pretty well for the minimal rain we get here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Way to rain on my parade... I already ordered it.Glass Coating or Ech2o?lol.

Actually I got kinda excited after reading it's description, but it made me think whether I could just use Ech2o and see similar results.. In the end the fact that they say it can be used on interior glass as well and on top of that they claim it works as an anti fog which sounds great. Plus they're bold enough to suggest it needs to be re applied every 6months which is a pretty long time. [sounds pretty durable to me]

You say more of a sealant than a coating?

$15 - 20% = $11.99+Free Shipping which made my cheapo criteria.Glass Coating or Ech2o?

$35 for the typical Glass Coating, not so much.

I'll see how it performs and you can expect the honest feedback.

As often as you wash your car, just plain H2O will do fine and it's very economical by the hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I hear you, I'm hoping it helps repel dust/dirt a bit as dusty windows sort of bring down the looks of an overall well maintained daily driver. Especially on tinted windows.

Plus I sometimes overlook cleaning the windows on my car during frequent waterless washes. Or at least I'd like to..

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Glass Protect

Put it on brand new windsheild 3 years ago.

Beads water like crazy still.

Unfortunately the DD windsheild only lasts short tome and then it's pitted or cracked.

Need to replave but will coat again (my cost on new windsheild is a reasonable $200.00).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast