autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a way to deep clean MF towels?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Depending on the towels purpose, I use my detergent with hot water and do a 15 or 30 minute presoak in the machine, followed by a extra rinse. I have never had a problem. As Jeremy said ever 6 months is overkill, the bulk of my towels are a couple years old, and perform great. Plus my collection of towels (and I am sure a lot others here) is too expensive to replace every 6 months.
    6 months is not overkill and I am taking about Polish towels. I only use 4 Microfiber Madness towels in a rotation.

After 6 months they are still excellent towels and I use them for removing glass coatings only. Then is a year or two then get moved to wax removal or duties.

I do not use towels to dry cars so I could careless about how much water they hold. Towel drying a car is just asking for scratches. Blow drying is touch less.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, my polish removal towels are well over 6 months old. And your saying you use 4 towels for this? Sorry I like fresh towel surface to rub on paint. Then when your towels are spent you move them to remove glass coatings? Then after that you use them for wax removal? I would never use a towel that I have to remove a glass coating to remove wax. And for drying yes I have some of the best towels in the business, but I also have a McKee's blower, which I use all the time. If you want proof I give the mods permission to look up my order history with AG, and share to confirm what I have! All my towels have a purpose let it be glass, wheels, tire, paint, coatings, interior, leather, etc. You name it I got towels dedicated to the job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    I've always used a dedicated
    MF detergent

Can they be soaked in something or
    can they be sprayed with something?

It's just a fabric, so I'd guess that
    whatever is clogged or clinged to
    the fibers, it can be released.
    Maybe I should look into soaking
    them in a LONG wash. I never
    thought about a pre-soak.
    Pre-soaking:
    That's a very good idea!

Remember that HOT water opens up
    the fibers. That, along with your MF
    detergent, will effectuate the release
    of much more dirt, grease, and other
    contaminates from the MF-towels, than
    will cold water soaking/washing.

Those are a couple examples of what
    I call the deep cleaning of MF-towels.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I wash my Microfiber towels immediately after use but let them soak first.

Although I also have the Pinnacle soap, I found Woolite to work 100% and in an email from them, it does not contain fabric softeners.

They and my Lake Country CCS pads that I hand wash, come out looking like new...as in never used.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Removed "Due to disrespecting other members"

Post Thanks / Like

AG sells towels ranging from general use, to special plush towels. I do not think AG's towels are "Junk".
    Do you think you could correct your sentence below so that I can understand what you are trying to say? Thanks
    "When you work on very high end cars and they must be absolutely perfect you rely on better products they you DIY and fast as possible detailers use."
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used a dedicated MF detergent and it seems that since I use a drying aid, I have noticed the towels aren't as absorbing as they once were. I always do a double rinse as well. Can they be soaked in something or can they be sprayed with something? It's just a fabric, so I'd guess that whatever is clogged or clinged to the fibers, it can be released. Pretty much everything we use is water soluble in the end.
    While we watch other folks see how far they can spew their ego online ....

Assuming you use the same washing machine as would be used for personal clothing..... Here is the official AGO link... Microfiber Care Guide, Clean Cobra Microfiber Towels, Applicators & Tools with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfiber Detergent. Clean & dry microfiber

Over and above AGO's recommendation I do the following:

1- I either use dedicated MF detergent to wash or a grocery store bought product that has absolutely no extras like dyes, softeners, MSG, etc... :-). All Free-N-Clear is one of these I use.
    2- You can wash with hot water but never dry with high heat... Medium heat with a longer cycle will maintain longevity of the towels. If you used high heat in the past then any damage is irreversible
    3- I always clean the reservoir that is supposed to have fabric softener in it - helping to ensure that none of that stuff makes their way into my wash cycle
    4- I usually throw in White Distilled Vinegar in the fabric softener reservoir.... WDV is a natural fabric softener

With the URL and these 4 points above you may be able to identify certain gotchas that, over time, degraded your current towels. A clean wash or two with the above items in mind may be able to restore your MF's back to new-like condition.

Best of luck to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    AG sells towels ranging from general use, to special plush towels. I do not think AG's towels are "Junk".
    Do you think you could correct your sentence below so that I can understand what you are trying to say? Thanks
    "When you work on very high end cars and they must be absolutely perfect you rely on better products they you DIY and fast as possible detailers use."
    Going to just tell you from experience to ignore the guy and move on. He won't offer anything other than condescension. I went round and round with him in another thread and it will just end in him flexing his superiority complex if you disagree with anything he says.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Removed "Due to disrespecting other members"

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my routine and it seems to work well.

As soon as I am done with the microfiber towels that I have used that day I do the following:

1) wash towels out one by one in warm water and ring well
    2) fill a bucket with two ounces of Griot's pad and microfiber cleaner, two ounces of all and warm water
    3) place towels in bucket, swirl them around then let them sit over night
    4) in the morning ring out the microfiber towels and rinse with warm water
    5) Then put microfiber towels in the washer with two ounces of Griot's pad cleaner along with two ounces of all. Wash or normal cycle with extra rinse.
    6) put towels in dryer and dry on delicate cycle with a few balls of aluminum foil to eliminate static.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast