autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

Fantastic job.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

Regarding surficants vs "sodium/salt-based" cleaners, aren't sodium/salt-based cleaners also surficants? They do decrease the surface tension of a fluid.

Regarding residue, isn't that a function of incomplete rinsing in the case of a cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Me saying that degreaser or apc drys out your hands was a example for using the wrong product for the wrong job.

Me being misleading? I do not know if you read the entire write up or just skimmed through it. I wrote that very statement that pad cleaner is stronger and more affective at cleaning foam than apc or degreaser. The problem is the residue that remains from degreaser/apc/dish soap. That is what is drying out and degrading the pad.

All purpose cleaner and degreaser was not designed and formulated to clean foam. Polishing pad cleaner is. It is stronger more effective and leaves no residue behind, because it was designed for specifically for foam and foam only. If you was to use pad cleaner on leather or other surfaces it can cause damage being that it was only designed for foam

Rasky earlier talked to Jeff Brown griors garage product developer and he said the following " they utilize surfactants rather then relying on sodium-salt based cleaners which can leave behind a residue"

Again not designed formulated tested for foam. Like i said in my write up you will remove the polish out of the pad however residue will remain in the pad.

Something i did not put in my write up and is a perfect example is microfiber cutting pads.

If you use the black boss microfiber cutting pad you will see after using apc/degreaser/dish soap a white residue on the hairs of the microfiber. Because its black. And no matter what after the fact even the polishing pad cleaner does not remove the residue.

If you use microfiber cutting pads you will notice how the microfibers feel hard and dry. That is from the remaining residue.

Again like i said in my write up you can use gasoline and it will remove the polish, that does not mean no damage is being done.

Dish soap was designed for dishes. Car soap was designed for automotive paint. All purpose cleaner and degreaser. Did not go under multiple chemistry tests to see if they are damaging pads. Pad cleaners sole purpose was to clean pads and pads only.

You can use dish soap to clean your car and it will get clean so why do we use car shampoo?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone found any leads on the brush Joe is using? I know AG sells one, but was wondering if there are any other options.

Thanks,

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone found any leads on the brush Joe is using? I know AG sells one, but was wondering if there are any other options.

Thanks,

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joe, you make no mention of cleaning MF pads??
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Good article and comments. I'm a relative newbie amateur and am very guilty of using MF cleaner, dawn, citrus degreaser, and whatever else to clean my pads. Just silly when you consider what pads cost and that pad cleaner isn't very expensive. My older pads look like they didn't have the right cleaner used on them. Finally got some Snappy Clean which works well but is not really convenient for just a few pads. Maybe I could put some in a spray bottle? Handn't considered that. Better option would be to wait for free shipping and order a gallon of McKee's pad cleaner. Will likely last me a lifetime.

Others have mentioned this, but these cleaners strong. Many of them (ex: Snappy Clean) are similar to TSP and will literally dissolve the fat right out of your skin. They're likely all bad stuff to inhale or to contact.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this thread...I used McKee's Pad rejuvenator the other day to clean pads that were used with McKee's 360. Mixed as per instructions...1 scoop to 3-4 gallons water. I let the pads soak for over an hour, and they went straight into the solution after use. They didn't sit around to dry. Scrubbed the face of the pad with a pad brush and ran under water just as was done in this article. I was never really able to get all the product out of the pad by using just this method. I had to resort to a bit of APC and Dawn to get the job done. Was kind of disappointed. My question is...would I be better off and see better results using the McKee's Polishing Pad Spray as was done in this article, or a different dedicated pad spray for that matter? I thought once the pad rejuvenator was mixed properly with water it was as effective as the dedicated pad spray.

Post Thanks / Like

AIO tend to stain pads. I try to squeeze out the AIO that has seeped into the pad before cleaning. I keep pads for AIO use only (orange/green/white) and clean them the best I can. If its just color staining I don't care as long as I was able to get the product out of the pad.

The Megs DynaCone pad cleaner is one of the best I have tried to remove sealants, waxes, and AIOs out of pads, but it takes forever to rinse out the cleaner. Suds for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Reviving this thread...I used McKee's Pad rejuvenator the other day to clean pads that were used with McKee's 360. Mixed as per instructions...1 scoop to 3-4 gallons water. I let the pads soak for over an hour, and they went straight into the solution after use. They didn't sit around to dry. Scrubbed the face of the pad with a pad brush and ran under water just as was done in this article. I was never really able to get all the product out of the pad by using just this method. I had to resort to a bit of APC and Dawn to get the job done. Was kind of disappointed. My question is...would I be better off and see better results using the McKee's Polishing Pad Spray as was done in this article, or a different dedicated pad spray for that matter? I thought once the pad rejuvenator was mixed properly with water it was as effective as the dedicated pad spray.
    Dedicated pad spray cleaner is more effective. Not to say it’ll remove all sealants, but it’s more effective than a pad rejuvenator(bucket).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    AIO tend to stain pads. I try to squeeze out the AIO that has seeped into the pad before cleaning. I keep pads for AIO use only (orange/green/white) and clean them the best I can. If its just color staining I don't care as long as I was able to get the product out of the pad.

The Megs DynaCone pad cleaner is one of the best I have tried to remove sealants, waxes, and AIOs out of pads, but it takes forever to rinse out the cleaner. Suds for a long time.
    I had read that the 360 stains, and I was ok with that, but I found that using the rejuvenotor in a bucket method alone was not able to get all the product out...so I will be looking to get a dedicated spray pad cleaner.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast