autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax on glass okay?

OK, so my car is coated with Gloss Coat. ONRW&W is not worth my time to use, period. It takes too much excessive rubbing on the paint buffing it out.
    I used Optimum detailer/gloss enhancer for a drying aid and liked the looks but it wasn't as easy as Opti-seal.

I use the Opti-Seal as a drying aid every time I wash or rinseless. Is it needed for protection, who cares?

It works so stupidly simple as an aid it's the definition of K.I.S.S. and I get a fresh topper that flashes with no mopping.
    I use my DP turbo when washing with a 2 bucket then use 1 eagle edgeless(with Opti-seal) to go over it.
    When doing a rinseless I use 1 eagle edgeless also.
    I am trying to keep the touching part to a minimum
    Sure it's more expensive at 20+ for an 8 oz bottle but I don't care. I am on my 4th bottle in less than a year.
    When it works so well, why fight it.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    OK, so my car is coated with Gloss Coat. ONRW&W is not worth my time to use, period. It takes too much excessive rubbing on the paint buffing it out.
    I used Optimum detailer/gloss enhancer for a drying aid and liked the looks but it wasn't as easy as Opti-seal.

I use the Opti-Seal as a drying aid every time I wash or rinseless. Is it needed for protection, who cares?

It works so stupidly simple as an aid it's the definition of K.I.S.S. and I get a fresh topper that flashes with no mopping.
    I use my DP turbo when washing with a 2 bucket then use 1 eagle edgeless(with Opti-seal) to go over it.
    Sure it's more expensive at 20+ for an 8 oz bottle but I don't care. I am on my 4th bottle in less than a year.

Just my 2 cents.
    Couldn't say it better my self. Opti seal is just to fun to not use it. The water just vanishes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, well for the timing being my vehicles aren't going to have a pro-level coating on them. They're going to get pro-detailed, polished and waxed. So, when they're handed back to me, I'll need to maintain the wax.

I thought maybe the ONRWW would help add luster to the existing wax and I could use the Opti-seal as a drying aid and though it's sealant capabilities would work too, but I'm apparently incorrect.

I would have to have the pro-detailer apply the Opti-seal BEFORE putting down the wax. Then I'd just maintain the cleanliness with the ONRWW.

Or, I don't have the pro-detailer use the Opti-seal, and I just use ONRWW to keep it clean and Opti-seal on trim and wheels. I don't see the point to wasting Opti-seal as a drying aid - I'll just use or find better drying towels (like the PFMs).

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'll keep beating a dead horse but if you're going through the expense of getting a paint correction that is the perfect time to get it coated. The coating itself is not that expensive and not that hard to apply. In fact you could just have the Detailer correct the paint and prep it for you to do the coating yourself. Gloss-coat is only like $70? It's apparently not much harder to apply than Opti-seal. Opti-seal is often referred to as Gloss-coat's "little brother" and it's application is very similar.

Pay once, cry once and be done. You'll just end up constantly worrying about the state of your LSP, constantly applying some kind of wax or sealant, and when you're ready for a coating you'll have to pay again for a paint correction and prep.

Post Thanks / Like

Learning some interesting things I hadn't heard about Opti-seal (the points Guz mentioned).

Steelwindmachine - You mention having the car pro-detailed and waxed; thinking about it, maybe a sealant would be a better fit? They tend to have a longer service life than waxes. Not sure if there's a longer lasting option that would be best to start with if using Opti-seal as a drying aid/maintainer, or if it would necessarily matter?

Regarding Opti-seal. I'm with Spazz and yg1829 - the stuff to me is such a pleasure to use that I'm fine with it cutting down the life of the previous coat if I use it as a drying aid. The fact it's so easy to use just means I'll keep doing it each/every other time I wash.

Opti-seal has helped me "keep the faith" so-to-speak. With work, commute, family, I haven't had time to do a proper detail on either car. After a good wash and opti-seal treatment, the cars are left with both a really good shine/gloss and good water behavior. Helps cut down the frustration/mild depression that comes with not having your cars where you want them.

Also - to "wasting" it, I've probably grossly overused the stuff, and have only gone through half a bottle in maybe a year? Even with that much left, I still bought another bottle during the Presidents Day sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I don't like about Optiseal is that it tends to attract a lot of dust. You can feel the static buildup as you buff it off

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to find out if my detailer will use a sealant.

If not, then I'll have him go as far as a polish/correction and then I'll apply the Opti-seal or other sealant. I need to investigate the process for Optimum's Gloss Coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
    Gloss-coat is only like $70? It's apparently not much harder to apply than Opti-seal. Opti-seal is often referred to as Gloss-coat's "little brother" and it's application is very similar.
    This is actually why I originally bought Opti-seal. From what I had read, it seemed to be good practice for Gloss-coat as far as watching for high spots and how it flashes. I've still got Gloss-coat sitting on the shelf waiting for when I have time for a full correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    There's no need to use the OS after every wash, once a month or out to 6 weeks is the plan I use on my moms car. Then of coarse you have the easiest option which is to apply a sealant,wash and reapply the sealant when you see the performance degrading. ONRWW,ONR, Opti Seal and spray wax are all easy products to use so don't get buried with options.
    I agree.

After the car is coated there is virtually no maintenance, just the occasional iron decon and claying. Then all you need is ONR for washing that's it.
    Very true with Gloss Coat.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post

Just my 2 cents.

Never had an issue using ONRWW on my dad's car that has gloss coat. In my opinion it makes a great maintenance wash for it. Although I only had an 8oz bottle of it. I never had an issue with it on glass either. But then again the glass is coated with opti-glass coating. Once a month I will use opti-glass clean & protect to maintain it and regular glass cleaner every ONR wash. The glass coating just makes it that much easier to wash and clean the glass.

I strictly use ONR (blue). I rarely use opti-seal as a drying aid. The reason for it is the beading is not as good ad gloss coat or even the sheeting. Overall opti-seal works well. Ech2o works even better. More gloss. Your black paint would look awesome. Just washed my uncles with McKee's 37 as a waterless wash and followed up with Ech2o.

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    Okay, well for the timing being my vehicles aren't going to have a pro-level coating on them. They're going to get pro-detailed, polished and waxed. So, when they're handed back to me, I'll need to maintain the wax.

I thought maybe the ONRWW would help add luster to the existing wax and I could use the Opti-seal as a drying aid and though it's sealant capabilities would work too, but I'm apparently incorrect.

I would have to have the pro-detailer apply the Opti-seal BEFORE putting down the wax. Then I'd just maintain the cleanliness with the ONRWW.

Or, I don't have the pro-detailer use the Opti-seal, and I just use ONRWW to keep it clean and Opti-seal on trim and wheels. I don't see the point to wasting Opti-seal as a drying aid - I'll just use or find better drying towels (like the PFMs).

First of all don't underestimate gloss coat because it is not a pro coating. It's a 3 year coating and with proper maintenance it can last much longer. It's a great coating that simply performs very well.

Second of all you are way overthinking this. Opti-seal works with either version of ONR. It is not necessary to use it as a drying aid. You don't need to use a drying aid at all. It all comes down to personal preference. The wax is not meant to be that durable. Just like a car shampoo with wax in it. It adds shine but not long term protection.

Thirdly go out and have fun. All of optimums products are designed to work with each other.

I guess I'll keep beating a dead horse but if you're going through the expense of getting a paint correction that is the perfect time to get it coated. The coating itself is not that expensive and not that hard to apply. In fact you could just have the Detailer correct the paint and prep it for you to do the coating yourself. Gloss-coat is only like $70? It's apparently not much harder to apply than Opti-seal. Opti-seal is often referred to as Gloss-coat's "little brother" and it's application is very similar.

Pay once, cry once and be done. You'll just end up constantly worrying about the state of your LSP, constantly applying some kind of wax or sealant, and when you're ready for a coating you'll have to pay again for a paint correction and prep.
    Yeah folks are turned off by the high price of gloss coat for the amount in the syringe. But in the long run it's cheap. The easy application alone is worth the money. Of course it performs very well. Even the price the op posted of $450 is not that bad. I would definitely consider this option.

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Learning some interesting things I hadn't heard about Opti-seal (the points Guz mentioned).

Steelwindmachine - You mention having the car pro-detailed and waxed; thinking about it, maybe a sealant would be a better fit? They tend to have a longer service life than waxes. Not sure if there's a longer lasting option that would be best to start with if using Opti-seal as a drying aid/maintainer, or if it would necessarily matter?

Regarding Opti-seal. I'm with Spazz and yg1829 - the stuff to me is such a pleasure to use that I'm fine with it cutting down the life of the previous coat if I use it as a drying aid. The fact it's so easy to use just means I'll keep doing it each/every other time I wash.

Opti-seal has helped me "keep the faith" so-to-speak. With work, commute, family, I haven't had time to do a proper detail on either car. After a good wash and opti-seal treatment, the cars are left with both a really good shine/gloss and good water behavior. Helps cut down the frustration/mild depression that comes with not having your cars where you want them.

Also - to "wasting" it, I've probably grossly overused the stuff, and have only gone through half a bottle in maybe a year? Even with that much left, I still bought another bottle during the Presidents Day sale.
    If you haven't already done so, join the optimum car care group on facebook. You will learn even more and one has access to Yvan and Dann. Or listen to the optimum synergy podcast.

Only thing I don't like about Optiseal is that it tends to attract a lot of dust. You can feel the static buildup as you buff it off
    Never noticed this. Although I apply it thin to the point where it flashes completely off on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    I am going to find out if my detailer will use a sealant.

If not, then I'll have him go as far as a polish/correction and then I'll apply the Opti-seal or other sealant. I need to investigate the process for Optimum's Gloss Coat.
    In short it's very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    This is actually why I originally bought Opti-seal. From what I had read, it seemed to be good practice for Gloss-coat as far as watching for high spots and how it flashes. I've still got Gloss-coat sitting on the shelf waiting for when I have time for a full correction.
    It's really close with how they flash off and leveling high spots. You will enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti seal nuff said, " I just dropped the mic "

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast