autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Father needs advice on how best to detail car in 1h - for reasonable $$

Today, I detailed my wife's Honda Pilot thinking it would take about an hour...it, of course turned into an all day affair. Nothing worse than something taking longer than expected followed by complaining from your wife and kids that you're taking too long.

My original plan of attack:
    1. Meguairs gold class car wash mixed with a few capfuls of Klasse AIO (bought here on AG)
    2. Scrub brush w/ handle
    3. MF towels

My expectation was that I'd be able to wash, polish, wax the car simultaneously with the car wash/klasse combo - and I would only need to wipe the car down with with microfiber to get a beautiful clean, polished and shiny finish with long lasting protection. It didn't work out that way...

After drying the car, I was less than impressed with the results. The car wash and Klasse didn't really do a good job removing tough bugs and road grime and wasn't as shiny or clean as expected, nor did the trim look any better. I decided to go ahead and apply Klasse AIO to the entire car. Even though it took a couple hours to do the entire SUV, application and removal wasn't bad and left a nice smooth surface and shine. Even though the Klasse is touted as a pretty stout chemical polish, it still did almost nothing for cc swirls, tree sap, bugs and road grime - I ended up having to take out the IPA. I wasn't really impressed with its performance on the black trim around the vehicle either.

However, after using IPA on the bugs and tar, trinova plastic restorer on the trim (which is great stuff btw! no idea how long it will last though) and klasse AIO on the paint, I finally have a pretty good looking vehicle - just took way to long (5hrs).

So, back to the drawing board.
    I need some recommendations on products and techniques that will allow me to get the same (or close) results in an hour or less!

As a family man, I found out today that I don't really have time for claying, polishing or waxing or anything else that requires panel by panel or alot of hand work. Also no polishing machines. I need an approach that will get rid of the hard to remove stuff, wash, polish and wax all by just using a hose and a brush/mitt. Maybe too much to ask, but here it goes...

Here's my thoughts:
    1st - Some kind of APC I can put into a pump sprayer and coat the entire car and rinse to remove road grime, tree sap, bugs etc. and clean wheels. Thinking about Chemical guys citrus wash or similar. What is recommended?

2nd: The best kind of wash and wax product that will help/polish paint (maybe), leave a nice shine and will hopefully last at least a month. I'd prefer to use this product with some kind of foamer I can attach to my water hose in the driveway.
    Looking at:
    -DP Power Wash and Wax (I thinkg now called Mckee's 37 Power wash, foaming and wax). Heard good things about this one. I think there's a no-rinse verson as well.
    -Duragloss wash and wax
    -optimum wash and wax. Well reviewed, no rinse.
    -Griots wash and wax.
    -Meguiars D115 or UWW?
    -Mother's wash and wax
    -Poorboys wash and wax

So whaddua guys think...am I on the right track this time? Let me know what you think!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Father needs advice on how best to detail car in 1h - for reasonable $$

The main way to keep the detail below an hour is to wash the car on a weekly basis. Now that you have it clean here is what I would do next week

--- Wash with ONR using a wash mitt or a Big Red Sponge in a 2 gallon bucket with one oz of ONR
    --- Pre soak half the car with a Flo Master pump sprayer with ONR solution, wash the whole side, dry, and move to the next panels (wash two or 3 panels at one time) -- total wash time -- 15-20 min
    ---Clean wheels and tires with Optimum Power Clean with a black microfiber -- 5 minutes
    --- Use Optimun Power Clean for any bugs - less than 5 minutes
    -- Dress trim with 303 Aerospace Protectant -- less than 5 minutes
    ----Apply Optimum Opti Seal wipe on walk away sealant in 3 to 5 minutes
    ---Dress tires with favorite dressing -- 3 minutes

----- Exterior done in about 35 - 40 minutes

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutey would NOT do number 1. Why? You'll find out the hard way if you don't pay attention, especially if you try and do the entire car that way.

If you use APC at all I would mix it into a separate wash bucket with soap. A couple ounces, maybe up to 4 ounces mixed in should suffice. Notice I said up to 4 ounces...not 4, but up to 4...with an entire 5gallon bucket of wash soap. That's a good place to start with the APC. I'd also keep a separate bucket of wash soap and a separate rinse bucket. If it's bad enough to need APC, you will only need it once...well, you should only need it once. I haven't found an APC that rinses clean enough for me when using straight APC....lightly sprayed, agitated, and standing there with a rinse hose in my hand. I haven't found a single APC that rinses clean...let alone rinses fast...which is a pain as well. APC is strong stuff...highly concentrated I mean. So, proceed with caution when using the APC or you'll find yourself having to polish out a rainbow...or worse yet, be left with a horrific stain. I found this out the hard way, and by recommendation from two prominent manufacturers.

So, with that....

It would greatly help others help you if you'd give some details about what you're working on and even possibly provide some pictures so folks don't have to guess as to what kind of condition the paint is in.

That said, Duragloss and Meguiar's, as well as a few other manufacturers, offer a few products that do double duty. That is they wash and wax...and some can be used to clay with as well. I know that takes time, but you'll certainly want to clay if you think you need an APC in your wash. If you do, then simple auto wash soap found at Walmart will work.

A rinseless wash, or even a rinseless wash with wax sounds like would serve you well to get you started on cleaning and get some shine and benefits of a little bit of protection. A spray wax would also make things fast for you as well. After that, regular weekly washing is necessary and will be easier, taking little time once the paint is smooth from claying and protected with a minimum of a spray wax...or less protection yet a rinseless wash with wax...which is better than nothing. I'm thinking the Duragloss line would suit you well, with little investment and big, big, bang for your buck even if you should decide to only polish the car one time with an all-in-one type product, aka...a cleaner wax type product. Duragloss has smaller bottles which are still usually at a great price.

Once an initial claying it done to smooth the paint after a thorough washing...you may even want to use a simple cleaning wash like Meguiar's Gold Class, Duragloss 901, or Optimum Car Wash. I like the rinseless washes myself. Then if polishing is out, then at least clay the paint and use a good long lasting spray wax like Optimum Spray wax...that is a killer product with good longevity.

The DG or Optimum sealants/waxes are going to offer better bang for your buck than the Meguiar's products, in my experience, though the Meguiar's Ultimate line found at Walmart is a decent option as well. I prefer the Optimum or Duragloss spray waxes though if I have to use a spray wax. Optimum Spray wax can rival many waxes found in cans and is much easier and more simple to use.

Like I said, initial thorough cleaning takes longer. Once that's done weekly or twice a week cleaning allows you to save a tremendous amount of time. You won't realize it until you do it how quick it is. That's where good rinseless washes and spray waxes literally shine...they offer quick cleaning.

Look to Duragloss, Optimum, Meguiar's, and other brands like Wolfgang and Pinnacle...and in my opinion...in that order for big bang for your buck, total value, and lack of investment. Optimum is great stuff too though.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to stop complaints from your wife is get her to help so she can see that a car won't just wash itself. If your kids are old enough to help get them involved also. A good work ethic starts at a young age.

Post Thanks / Like

Wing Commander....truer words have never been spoken. Very nice post!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

ljbrandt

From the sounds of your post, it seems like you would be best served by having someone walk you through the process, not necessarily talk you through it. There are Autogeeks everywhere and many are more than willing to make a short road trip to assist another member. I'm in NE Ohio and personally, I don't have a problem traveling an hour to get to a detail or help another detailer. So it should be fairly easy to find a 'mentor' if you will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    The main way to keep the detail below an hour is to wash the car on a weekly basis. Now that you have it clean here is what I would do next week

--- Wash with ONR using a wash mitt or a Big Red Sponge in a 2 gallon bucket with one oz of ONR
    --- Pre soak half the car with a Flo Master pump sprayer with ONR solution, wash the whole side, dry, and move to the next panels (wash two or 3 panels at one time) -- total wash time -- 15-20 min
    ---Clean wheels and tires with Optimum Power Clean with a black microfiber -- 5 minutes
    --- Use Optimun Power Clean for any bugs - less than 5 minutes
    -- Dress trim with 303 Aerospace Protectant -- less than 5 minutes
    ----Apply Optimum Opti Seal wipe on walk away sealant in 3 to 5 minutes
    ---Dress tires with favorite dressing -- 3 minutes

----- Exterior done in about 35 - 40 minutes
    Do this.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting good results with a one hour wash can only follow getting the "clean" in the first place.
    Ie doing what you mentioned, wash, iron-X, clay, compound / polish as required, then Selat or wax etc...
    Once you have a clean protected car the weekly removal of dirt is exponentially easier and quicker..

I'm in the same boat as you and had to exactly this... I had to compound and polish both cars.. And do exactly the same to the wheels...

Each weekend both cars can be touch less washed with foam lance rinse and leaf blower to dry..... With a quick pat dry afterwards... Every second week it's a spray wax top up...

In short, spend an inordinate amount of time once.. Then maintain... Expect this perhaps annually...

All the best...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice so far guys:
    1. Wife and kids were doing yardwork while I was washing. Can't dig them for not working.
    2. Will not be able to wash on a weekly basis. Monthly is optimistic.
    3. Claying will not be happening, unfortunately.
    4. The offer/idea for a detailing 'mentor' is quite interesting, but since I cleaned up the car so nicely today, albeit taking 5hrs, it would be crazy (to my wife) for the guy with the best looking car on the block to ask for help.

Anyway, maybe some specific follow up questions:
    A.Recommendations for a pre-wash cleaner for pre-treating bad spots (lower panels)? To Hoytman's point, something that will rinse and not stain. Anyone use diluted krud kutter or should I stick to something auto like Poorboys bug squach?
    B. Wash and Wax product? Looking at McKee's Power wash and wax or rinseless...whats the difference? Should I get a foamer? How long does the wax protection last on either (last 1-2 months)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljbrandt View Post
    3. Claying will not be happening, unfortunately.
    That's too bad because for a neglected car, clay is one of the most important steps.

I have to say I think your expectations are too high. If you had started with a new car and employed a good maintenance program (meaning washing ~once a week, etc.) then you might be able to achieve your 1 hour goal. But start with a car with tar, bugs, swirls, you're not going to correct that in an hour or by hand.

A coworker of mine got a new car a few years ago and asked me for advice on how to care/wash/wax for it. I told him point blank that I didn't think he really had the interest or the time to follow a regimen like I do (and I am really pretty lazy by Autogeek standards). Anyway, if an hour is your limit, I think your goals are basically incompatible with that.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast