autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your preferred method for detailing expensive wheels?

Hello everyone. I did some searching through the forum and the site for what people use on their wheels, but with so many different types of wheels, it's hard to tell what works best on what. So, I decided to make a topic for my specific scenario and I hope that's okay.

I am soon to be the proud owner of some wheels manufactured by Rays. They are forged Volk wheels. I believe they are powder coated black, diamond cut on the lip, and then cleared.

My goal is to clean them every weekend as they will be on my daily driver. I've heard people say just use car soap on delicate clear, but my car soap is Wolfgang Uber Rinseless. I don't know how well a rinseless would work. I also know acidic cleaners are a guaranteed way to mess up the finish.

So, what would be your preferred method for keeping these wheels clean and in good shape? Thank you all for any advice you can offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your preferred method for detailing expensive wheels?

Wash them with a low pH soap and rinse.Then I would seal them up with a good quality coating such as gyeon.Use what ever car wash soap with no wax if your going to coat them.If not use a quality car wash soap found any where just dilute.carpro reset may be a start .

Post Thanks / Like

Like GSKR said look into a wheel coating. I put PBL Wheel on last April, and only clean with Megs Hyper wash and when I am feeling lazy just some QD and wheel towel, here is a picture from like a week or so ago.

Your preferred method for detailing expensive wheels?-tn_the-wheel-shot-jpg

Just stock wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

A wheel coating is a great start but as far as maintaining I use Chemical Guys Sticky Citrus or Diablo for those cleanings. As far as when the wheels get "bad" I use Meg's Mirror Brite wheel cleaner or DUB.

BTW do you have a pic of these wheels? Kinda confused because you said Rays and then Volk.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your preferred method for detailing expensive wheels?-_1-jpg

I don't have a picture on me, but here's a shot I found on the internet. I said Volk to give an idea of the style. Rays engineering makes the Volk brand and these wheels are made by Rays for Mazda Racing in the same style and forging as their Volk brand.

So, the consensus so far is buy good car soap and use wheel brushes to agitate and then rinse? What's the best cleaning, pH neutral soap recommendation for wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

My volks just came in. I'm going to go with some type of coating but I am still deciding on what one.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with DLUX or Gtechniq C5 wheel armor. I've had good results with these two coatings.

I do a lot of rinseless washes and clean them that way. When I decide to do a 2 bucket wash, I'll use something like hyper wash with various brushes like the wheel woolies, boars hair brush and lug nut brush.

Every 6 months I use an iron remover wheel cleaner for a deep decon wash of the wheels. That is the only time I use a wheel cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So a coating would be a great starting point for you to protect them and make cleaning easier in the long run. If you're not comfortable with applying, then seek a professional to do so. If thats not in the budget, look at sealing them. CarPro Reload, CarPro Hyrd02, Optimum Opti Seal will work great for you. Then, you can clean your wheels with rinseless that you have. Here`s how you would clean them:

1. Pre-soak (with water hose or with rinseless solution from a sprayer, a pressurized sprayer is what I would recommend)
    2. Wipe the wheel down well with a rinseless soaked Microfiber towel.
    3. Dry the wheel with a dry Microfiber towel (get some plush towels if you're worried about scratching and designate them wheels only)
    4. Decontaminate every 3 to 4 months (Iron X)
    5. Reseal after decontamination (If not coated)

Boom! Your wheels are now clean.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, I love Volks/Rays wheels. That design should fairly easy to care for.

Regardless of what LSP you go with, just keep up with the maintenance with the methods above and they should look good for a long time.

Since they are new, I would not use a bristle style brush to clean them for fear of scratching them.

Wheel Woolies are nice and are not very aggressive.

Wheel Woolies 3-Piece Kit, wheel cleaning tools, wheel brushes

I think these

Lake Country Wool Wheel Washing Mitt

work well for cleaning spokes and faces. I believe I get better results and miss less with these as apposed to using a wheel face brush.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for all the suggestions. I'll probably place an order today. So far, I'm thinking:

Dedicated wash bucket
    Meguirs Hyper Wash
    Wheel woolies
    Lake country wool wheel washing mitt
    Carpro Hydro2

Let me know if there is anything I'm missing. Also, is a garden hose set to the strongest jet enough for Hydro2 on wheels?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast