autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Coating Care

So when using your favorite brand of coating, I've noticed almost all of them make some type of coating boost, QD, or something specifically designed for their coatings. During normal care after the car is all coated, what do you do for maintenance and normal detailing? Do you stick with the matching coating "boost", or do you still use your favorite QD as needed? How about spray waxes or dare I say, your favorite carnuba wax? I know adding something on top of a coating masks it's quality principles, but just asking. I wasn't sure if maybe some folks approach this from the standpoint that the coating provides that awesome surface surface layer protection, but maybe the coloring, depth, and shine/finish from your favorite wax on top of that. Just a couple of thoughts? Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post Coating Care

This has been debated before, FWIW I top my coated car. Sometimes its with Wolfgang Uber diluted to QD, Megs D156, Pinnacle Souveran Liquid spray wax, Wolgang Deep Gloss Sprtiz Sealant, GTechniq C2v3 Liquid Crystal. I am getting ready to soon try CarPro Essence Plus. Also want to check out CarPro ECH20 since its getting a lot of attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops...duped

Post Thanks / Like

On all the coated cars we have they get washed with either Gyeon Bathe or Gyeon Bathe+ and then once a month or so have a bit of Gyeon Wet coat or Gyeon Cure applied.

Just for fun yesterday washed 2 of 'em with Gyeon Bathe+, then an application of Gyeon Wetcoat and then applied Gyeon Cure.

2 cars done with WG Uber Ceramic, the other with a non-AG coating combo and it usually gets a non-AG product similar in function to Gyeon Cure.

I mucked about topping one of our WG Uber coated cars with various 'standard' QD, Sealants and waxes last summer and while at first I thought 'wow, that's even better!' I soon realized it was pretty much all in my mind and took away from what I liked most about coatings: self-cleaning ability, low dust collection and extreme water sheeting. And I'm not sure it really changed the look much; toppers I tried:
    WG Fuzion
    WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    WG DGPS Spritz
    Pinnacle Souveran
    Dodo Juice Purple Haze
    Dodo Juice Basics of Bling
    Collinite 915
    Kenotek Showroom Shine

Now our coated cars only see 'coating friendly, i.e. SiO2, based products and those generally once a month is all that's needed.

I did the stacking with all those Gyeon products yesterday just because it was 70 degrees out in NE Ohio and I was just goofing around. Cars do look 'way shiny' after the process and might possibly have a bit more protection as winter is returning this week. Then again, each successive step very well could diminished the previous one because I have no idea how well they play together. But it was fun.

Mike Phillips

Wash carefully.

See our new video that shows,

The careful approach to washing a car

Post Thanks / Like

This has been my toughest hangup with going coating. Trying to imagine not waxing or not using the products I have, or not trying different things. Tough decision. Is there a support group for this?

Post Thanks / Like

My routine is based on water restrictions, and not a lot of free time. Various coatings applied to personel cars. Rinseless is prefered Car Pro Ech2o, works wonderful and is synergistic to all of the coatings. Light garage dust waterless with Ech2o as well. Detail spray/topper Ech2o mixed with reload, or cure which seem to me the same.

When a traditional wash is needed I use either Car Pro reset, as well as Gyeon Bathe+, which tops my list as my favorite.

I have found using Ech2o that I don't need or want anything else, and it keeps the coatings fresh. Almost any QD or wax is going to have different results, some work, some your going to regret trying. I have found Ech2o to work very well over Gtechniq, Blackfire crystal coat, Polish Angel, and Kamikaze coatings.

Probably the biggest area of aftercare is washing technique and product. Where I focus my biggest concern is on media, I have my product choices dialed in for me.

For media I wash,dry, and inspect each one, then store in large Zip lock bags in a sealed container. Then before use they are again inspected, before and during use. For waterless Im using the buff and shine sold here and use the wipe, roll, lift technique. Rinseless Im using the rinseless mitts sold here, and 2 buckets.
    Traditional Im using the big blue, and Gyeon silk drier micros.

When applying detail spray I also mist the towel before using it on the paint.