autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant vs. Optimum Opti-Seal for AIO Treatment

From the descriptions, the WG ETS works on plastic parts/trim/rubber/metal and wheels. The OOS works on paint, plastic trim, wheels and I've read people have successfully used it on glass too.

I'd like to know if anyone knows which of these can be an AIO for protecting the most amount of surface types

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant vs. Optimum Opti-Seal for AIO Treatment

If the trim needs some restoration, then WETS is the way to go. Opti-seal is great for everything else.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO:
    Neither of these products
    meet the criteria needed
    to be considered an AIO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    IMO:
    Neither of these products
    meet the criteria needed
    to be considered an AIO.

Bob
    For the original poster: An AIO, or All In One is something used for paint to both perform some correction and leave some protection. Common examples would be HD Speed, Griot's BOSS Finishing sealant, etc. I think Cleaner Waxes would also fall into that category.

As far as Opti-seal vs Wolfgang ETS: In my experience Opti-seal generally leaves rubber and plastic trim parts looking clean and fresh, but the Wolfgang exterior trim sealant leaves more of a glossy treated look.

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant vs. Optimum Opti-Seal for AIO Treatment

Sorry, I didn't fully understand what characterized an AIO. Thank you for the information!

What I meant then was that I wondered whether or not the Opti-Seal or Wolfgang ETS could be used interchangeably for a multitude of surfaces without any issues and if one was particularly better than the other in terms of protection.

Based on oneheadlite's remark on the W-ETS leaving a more glossy look, then I'd prefer the Opti-Seal. I don't like my trim/rubber/plastic looking glossy. I much prefer a neutral, matte or satin finish for these surfaces.

Ultimately the resolve of this is that I use the Opti-Seal, one product for paint/plastic parts/trim/rubber/metal/wheels and glass.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the WOWA ( Opti Seal, WGLS, BFCS) products for everything you mentioned--especially paint and glass. But if you want to restore the deep, dark, new appearance of trim and dark moldings, WETS is the way to go. It's not real glossy at all and moldings and cowlings will look brand new and last months. On moldings and trim, WETS is real good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

There are AIO products that are made for other surfaces than paint. If you are looking for a true AIO product (i.e. cleans AND protects) check out BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant:

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-to...ire-shine.html

A great product, but will not have the longevity of a true trim sealant such as WETS. I've never used Opti Seal, but it would be a protectant only with no cleaning ability.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    There are AIO products that are made for other surfaces than paint.
    Good Point, that's what I was thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

I detailed my engine this weekend and thought I'd try the opti-seal as a dressing. You cant even tell I used it. Nothing was restored back to the original looking color. I wasn't looking for gloss but at least some darkening of the rubber to make it look new would have been nice. I'm going to be trying something else for the trim going forward.

For me, optinseal works well on paint and glass and some of my interior areas. Thanks.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    I detailed my engine this weekend and thought I'd try the opti-seal as a dressing. You cant even tell I used it. Nothing was restored back to the original looking color. I wasn't looking for gloss but at least some darkening of the rubber to make it look new would have been nice. I'm going to be trying something else for the trim going forward.

For me, optinseal works well on paint and glass and some of my interior areas. Thanks.
    For a quick "fix" at a low price point, DG 253 Tire and Rubber Dressing is a nice product. Floor mats, mud flaps, black trim, tires, engine bay plastics... it darkens things very nicely and leaves a little protection. Not at all in the league of WETS, but when you wanna "wash" a car and "spiff it up" a bit, albeit temporarily, it's a really nice product. It actually lasts quite awhile if it doesn't get wet and it doesn't attract dust like more oily/greasy products.