autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Needs Help

Hi All! I have been reading on this site for YEARS, and finally think I have learned enough to start working with a machine. My wife and I both purchased new vehicles this year. She has a 2016 Land Rover LR4 (Black), and I purchased a 2017 Tundra Platinum (Silver). The Land Rover was delivered with light swirls and has holograms on one side. I am from VA and can't wait for spring to get here to get her vehicle looking good. I have already made several AG purchases, but am having a difficult time figuring what I need on hand to get the job done. I am looking for suggestions. I don't want to get started on her vehicle just to realize I don't have an aggressive enough polish or the correct pads to get the job done. Here is what I have purchased so far...

AG foam gun
    GG6
    Gallon of Megs Hyper Dressing
    Gallon of Megs All Wheel Cleaner
    GG Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner (This stuff works great)
    CG Extreme Mini Suds II
    CG Honey Dew
    Speed Master wheel brush (+JR)- Not sure how I made it all these years without these
    McKees Polishing Pad Cleaner
    Mckees Polishing Pad Conditioner
    CG Jet Seal
    CG Butter Wax
    Iron x
    CG V36 and V38
    CCS Smart Pads- 4 orange, 4 blue, 4 black

What can I say...this is addicting and recent AG sales have been great. After further reading I am not sure the V36 is going to have enough cut for Land Rover paint.
    For those that have worked with Land Rover paint, what other pads and polish should I have on hand? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie Needs Help

Congratulations and welcome to the beginning of the end! :-p

Chemical Guys makes a lot of really good products, I personally do not feel that there polishes are anything to write home about. I've done a dark gray Land Rover and a metallic blue Range Rover and both came out very well after a one step polish with a Lake Country Hybrid pad and Menzerna PF2500 polish. I used a Flex 3401 machine but I don't see why you can't get similar results with the GG6, just might take a bit longer. That combo should be more than enough to remove light swirls and holograms and leave a nice sealant-ready finish. I also am partial to Menzerna Powerlock as a sealant over Jetseal. No need to top with any type of wax.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

The JetSeal will work out fine for you. Butter Wet Wax will look great when applied, but typically does not last that long. If you want to stay with Chemical Guys for your wax, give Petes 53 a shot. Thanks to some good advice I got right here on AG, I mix Hyper Dressing at 3:1 (3 parts distilled water - 1 part product) and it gives me a nice matte look on the tires, and looks great in the wheel wells.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. Which color LC hybrid did you use ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    The JetSeal will work out fine for you. Butter Wet Wax will look great when applied, but typically does not last that long. If you want to stay with Chemical Guys for your wax, give Petes 53 a shot. Thanks to some good advice I got right here on AG, I mix Hyper Dressing at 3:1 (3 parts distilled water - 1 part product) and it gives me a nice matte look on the tires, and looks great in the wheel wells.
    Thanks. I had a chance to mix and try the Hyper Dressing today. Worked great and an excellent value

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the beginning of the end! :-p

Chemical Guys makes a lot of really good products, I personally do not feel that there polishes are anything to write home about. I've done a dark gray Land Rover and a metallic blue Range Rover and both came out very well after a one step polish with a Lake Country Hybrid pad and Menzerna PF2500 polish. I used a Flex 3401 machine but I don't see why you can't get similar results with the GG6, just might take a bit longer. That combo should be more than enough to remove light swirls and holograms and leave a nice sealant-ready finish. I also am partial to Menzerna Powerlock as a sealant over Jetseal. No need to top with any type of wax.
    Thanks for the reply. I will be ordering the Menzerna. Which color LC Hybrid pad?

Post Thanks / Like

I find the white pad works well for this.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnmachine View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I will be ordering the Menzerna. Which color LC Hybrid pad?

Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I did a 10 year old Land Rover last spring with just HD Speed and it came out fantastic.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon