autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone incorporate foam into a rinseless wash?

Hello all,

In our area you can get a pretty hefty fine for using a hose and 2BM to wash your car, so I have mostly been doing rinesless washes. I have a portable Foamer, so can produce some OK foam without using a hose. Was wondering whether anyone incorporates foam into their rinseless wash routine?

I have on occasion used the foamer I bought when I go to the local coin-op so as to use my own ph neutral foam (rather than their foam). I do a foam + pressure washer rinse, then go home and do a rinseless wash with ONR (with a layer of diluted ONR also spayed on as pre-treatment), but that's time consuming with the back and forth to the coin-op. I was wondering whether anyone else uses foam in this or some other way in a rinseless wash? Maybe as a pre-treatment before doing the rinseless wash (ie instead of using diluted ONR as pre treatment)?

Thanks!

HAMBO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone incorporate foam into a rinseless wash?

Recently did a 94 Porsche Boxster in a special order gold/yellow color paint. 13,000 miles, garage kept, no swirls. I was scared to rub on it. I foamed and rinsed, then did a rinseless. This would be my method for classic cars with no swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I've used that exact same foamer as a presoaker for rinseless wash. I have P21s Total Auto Wash in it mixed 1:20. It works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

•Is there a set-in-stone procedure that
    must be followed to accomplish a RW?
    -IMO: No.

•With that in mind I say:
    'Go ahead; add "incorporating
    foam to a RW" to the ever-growing
    list of the Hybrid RW Methods'.
    -Who's going to stop you?!?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Yep. I've used that exact same foamer as a presoaker for rinseless wash. I have P21s Total Auto Wash in it mixed 1:20. It works fine.
    Thanks. Curious, did the car wash foam leave any residue after the rinseless wash that you needed to rinse off with a hose, or did the rinseless wash pickup all the foam?
    Also may I ask what wash medium you use for rinseless washing? Any concerns about getting foam on the wash media and dunking it back into the rinseless bucket (if you plan to reuse the rinseless solution that is, if you don’t plan to then it probably wouldn’t matter at all)? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Wash weekly with ONR and you don't have to use any sort of foam pre-wash. It's all I do weekly whether it is ONR, D114 or McKee's 37 N-914 rinsless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Wash weekly with ONR and you don't have to use any sort of foam pre-wash. It's all I do weekly whether it is ONR, D114 or McKee's 37 N-914 rinsless wash.
    So yes, I totally agree that would work. Issue for me has been that I moved recently and don't have a garage (so car is more exposed to the elements) and haven't had the time to wash weekly (more like every two weeks or so). Car is just a bit too dirty for comfort to do a routine ONR wash, so looking for a bit more protection, but thanks for the suggestion. Great general advice.

Mike Phillips

Kind of a paint to go to and you have to save up your quarters but how about a do-it-yourself car wash?

At least you have running water.... and use the foam or anything...

Blasting Bird Bombs at the Coin-Op Car Wash!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
    So yes, I totally agree that would work. Issue for me has been that I moved recently and don't have a garage (so car is more exposed to the elements) and haven't had the time to wash weekly (more like every two weeks or so). Car is just a bit too dirty for comfort to do a routine ONR wash, so looking for a bit more protection, but thanks for the suggestion. Great general advice.
    My daily sits outside 24/7 so I know what you mean. Same goes for my dad's and mom's. Most of the time I wash them weekly with ONR and the big red sponge. Two of the cars are coated while mine just has a sealant. If they are not washed weekly then they still get washed the same way at 2 weeks. I will pre-soak heavier soiled areas.

My Camaro on the other hand spends most of the time in the garage so that one does not get that dirty but rather dusty.

Do what Mike says and take it to a coin up and take your buckets and ONR with you to be more efficient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Kind of a paint to go to and you have to save up your quarters but how about a do-it-yourself car wash?

At least you have running water.... and use the foam or anything...

Blasting Bird Bombs at the Coin-Op Car Wash!

Thanks for chiming in Mike! Appreciate it. Yep, I have done that on occasion (tried to reference it in my original post) and it works well, just takes a long time with this LA traffic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast