autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping a black work truck/DD clean

Last month i bought myself a present for my 23rd birthday. 2014 F-250 in Tuxedo Black, sitting on 35" tires. Always loved how black vehicles look, but i'm now realizing how much of a pain it is to keep clean. My main work truck is a silver F-450, and my other vehicles are dark red so its never been a big issue. I live in Ohio so its exposed to salt, and since we farm and have an excavation business it's going to be spending its life out in the elements. From what i can tell the previous owner took extremely good care of the truck as the paint looks like new, no swirls or scratches that i've seen. I do have access to a heated shop with a wash bay which will make it easier for me to clean it. BUT i will be doing all waxing/buffing by hand for now. My plan has been to wash, clay, wax, seal, and rock on?? Ideally i'd like to only "detail" it once or twice a year, and then just wash it with a quality soap whenever needed. That means i'm looking for opinions on some good products and the easiest way to keep this truck looking good for several years.

Currently have a small pile of stuff i've gathered over the years, not sure where or how but its here.
    Foam gun for garden hose, plan to upgrade to a pressure wash system this year to make it easier for all our trucks and equipment
    Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss
    Chemical Guys glossworxz
    Chemical Guys Jetseal
    Chemical Guys 50/50 Concours wax, although it seems to be missing right now.
    Mothers yellow clay bar and detail spray
    Mckee's 37 Power Wash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping a black work truck/DD clean

If you can't locate your 50/50, or when it runs out, consider Pete's 53 on top of JetSeal...killer combo on a black truck. Collinite 845 would be a good choice, too.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When you run out of the Chemical Guys stuff, get you some CarPro Hydro2. You'll be able to seal that thing in no time and every exterior surface as well as seal al the equipment pictured.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

4. Thanks Thardy53 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I long lasting durable paint sealant or coating would be your best bet. For my dailys I like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Collinite 845. I have used OptiCoat as well on my Black Tundra with good results.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    When you run out of the Chemical Guys stuff, get you some CarPro Hydro2. You'll be able to seal that thing in no time and every exterior surface as well as seal al the equipment pictured.
    Congrats on the new ride! By the looks of your dealer you must be close to me I agree with the above. Get her cleaned, clayed and seal it up with Hydro2 which as noted, will do it in no time at all. I use a combination of CarPro ECH20 mixed up to 1:20 solution and add a few ounces of CarPro's Reload to it as my detail spray. Slick as the day I coated my cars and amazing gloss. Not to mention it will help shed dirt easier than without.

You are on your way to going crazy keeping it nice but overall so long as black is polished nicely, it even looks good when it's dirty with daily driver muck on it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little west of Dayton, bought the truck at Germain of Beavercreek. Told myself when i started hunting for a truck in the fall i wasn't buying a northern truck, but that didn't happen.

Read into the Hydro2, stuff sounds awesome! More than likely i'll be buying some to use on our equipment. Every winter we try to give everything a quick wax job, although its tricky around all the grease zerks and joints. Same goes for hand washing during the summer. But i think Hydro2 would work perfect for that. Especially once i finally get myself a nice pressure washer and foam cannon. Can do everything touchless.

As for my truck i'm thinking about doing CG Blacklight, Jetseal, and then 50/50 IF i can ever find it. Otherwise i'll get myself some Collinite 845.

Post Thanks / Like

Might want to take a look at FK1000p. Should last 6 months or more with two coats and it's self cleaning behavior is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
    As for my truck i'm thinking about doing CG Blacklight, Jetseal, and then 50/50 IF i can ever find it. Otherwise i'll get myself some Collinite 845.
    I would suggest CarPro Essence instead of Blacklight as it will serve as a polish and it will also serve as a filler using it's SiO2 contents to blend away imperfections in a much longer lasting way than Blacklight. From there Either Hydro 2 or I would even suggest CarPro Reload.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to consider investing in a DA polisher and pads. The results will speak for themselves, plus your body will thank you.
    Porter Cable, Meguires and Griots are a few choices around $150.

Nice ride, good luck.
    Hard Shine Auto Detailing, LLC IDA CD-SV

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh believe me, i'll be buying some equipment as soon as i can. I grew up handwashing 8 work trucks every weekend, and they all get hand waxed every winter with some cheap Turtle Wax. Makes for a good workout! Actually in the planning stages of a 40x40 shop at my parents house. Actually working on some ideas for a dedicated wash/detail area, something that can be sealed off from the rest of the shop when needed. Building will be insulated with heated floors, satellite TV, and a beer fridge so it'd be perfect for detail work.

But it looks like my truck detail is going to be a bit rushed. Just decided we're going to Michigan snowmobiling Tuesday so i've gotta get the truck sealed and waxed before we make the 500 mile trip north. So Saturday morning i'll be washing and clay'ing the whole thing, then giving it a coat of Jetseal and a coat of 50/50(finally found it). Yesterday we Jetsealed and 50/50'ed my silver F-450, used a lot less material than i expected and turned out pretty nice. Well as nice as a 300k mile work truck can be! Also sealed the door windows and the toolboxes, and plan to seal the 19.5" aluminum wheels once i get done polishing them. Really interested to see how it holds up on my actual worktruck that see's a lot more abuse than my personal truck. I've had this bottle of Jetseal since late 2015 and for whatever reason never opened it or used it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast