autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone used Optimum Big Red Sponge?

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45 View Post
    I am just wondering how the BRS works when using something besides ONR. I know that BRS was supposedly designed to work with ONR but I'm curious to see how it works with other products. Supposedly, ONR brings the dirt particles down to the bottom of wash bucket so you can safely wash the vehicle. Will other rinseless products do the same? I'm kind of hesitant in using other products with the BRS. Appreciate if you can share some of your experience with this.
    Works great. I've used it with Uber, N-914, Ech2o, and SiO2 Rinseless from McKee's 37. BRS worked well with all of those.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I no longer use ONR. I am not making enough solution to save it.
    How much solution do you make for a typical rinseless? Do you measure out how much water or possibly have your bucket marked to a specific quantity i.e. a mark at every gallon? Or do you choose instead to just measure how much rinseless solution you’re putting into the bucket and just sort of eyeball how much water you put in there?

Trying to get an idea whether your rinseless wash can be accomplished with 1 or 2 gallons per wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45 View Post
    I am just wondering how the BRS works when using something besides ONR. I know that BRS was supposedly designed to work with ONR but I'm curious to see how it works with other products. Supposedly, ONR brings the dirt particles down to the bottom of wash bucket so you can safely wash the vehicle. Will other rinseless products do the same? I'm kind of hesitant in using other products with the BRS. Appreciate if you can share some of your experience with this.
    If you look, McKee's 37 has a big gold sponge that looks identical to the BRS. If I remember right, Ivan Lacroix from optimum went to McKee's and musta brought his sponge preference with him.

In my experience I didn't notice extreme particulate sinking using ONR vs any other rinseless, so I'd feel comfortable using whichever rinseless you prefer.

EDIT: Actually, memory did serve right - Optimum (on their Opti-Coat website which has more of their updated products) has a big gold sponge as well. Sure makes me wonder if there's any difference between it and the McKee's one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Works great. I've used it with Uber, N-914, Ech2o, and SiO2 Rinseless from McKee's 37. BRS worked well with all of those.
    Very nice to hear. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    If you look, McKee's 37 has a big gold sponge that looks identical to the BRS. If I remember right, Ivan Lacroix from optimum went to McKee's and musta brought his sponge preference with him.

In my experience I didn't notice extreme particulate sinking using ONR vs any other rinseless, so I'd feel comfortable using whichever rinseless you prefer.

EDIT: Actually, memory did serve right - Optimum (on their Opti-Coat website which has more of their updated products) has a big gold sponge as well. Sure makes me wonder if there's any difference between it and the McKee's one.
    Ah ok, I did not even notice that Mckees has their own version (looks very similar) of the BRS. So I guess the wash media is isn't very specific to one rinseless vs. the other. I guess we fall for marketing sometimes and believe one thing has to be used because it was specifically made for a particular item. And I'm with you regarding the particulates not necessarily sinking to the bottom. Many just float around though I don't think it's a big deal either way.

I go back and forth between the various wash methods and was always curious if the BRS worked with other products. It's a good product no doubt. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure that new gold sponge is the same from Optimum or McKee’s 37, they’re made by Lake Country. Supposedly softer than the red sponge but I haven’t tried yet as I’m happy with the BRS.
    Bruno Soares

7. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used the BRS with ONR, DPC Revive, Garry Dean’s Forever Rinseless, McKee’s Si02 Rinseless, and probably a few others. It worked well with all and I continue to use it along with the new black sponge from the Rag Company.

You should use a grit guard when using one of the sponges, and will need 3 gallons of solution as it takes 1 gallon just to get to the level of the grit guard when using a 5 gallon bucket.

Two gallons of Rinseless solution works just fine if you’re going with the Garry Dean wash method instead of using one of the sponges.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

9. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Pretty sure that new gold sponge is the same from Optimum or McKee’s 37, they’re made by Lake Country. Supposedly softer than the red sponge but I haven’t tried yet as I’m happy with the BRS.
    I've noticed that there are more options now. I'm also pretty happy with the BRS but just have been hesitant trying something besides ONR with it. Yeah the gold sponge seems awfully similar and I'm not sure if being softer is necessarily a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    I’ve used the BRS with ONR, DPC Revive, Garry Dean’s Forever Rinseless, McKee’s Si02 Rinseless, and probably a few others. It worked well with all and I continue to use it along with the new black sponge from the Rag Company.

You should use a grit guard when using one of the sponges, and will need 3 gallons of solution as it takes 1 gallon just to get to the level of the grit guard when using a 5 gallon bucket.

Two gallons of Rinseless solution works just fine if you’re going with the Garry Dean wash method instead of using one of the sponges.
    How is the new black sponge? It seems like a good product and unlike the BRS, it won't stain (or show the stains) as easily. Not that getting rid of the stains is difficult or anything. It seems slightly more ergonomic as well.

Also, after you use the si02 product with the sponge, do you thoroughly clean it or just rinse it out and go to the next rinseless? I'm kind of weird and would chemically clean the sponge after using a si02 product in it. For some reason I'm under the (probably false) assumption that an si02/sealant infused rinseless will somehow mess up my drying towels and render them useless. So I simply separate regular wash products from si02/sealant wash products. I'm sure its all in my head LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post

Makes alot of sense. Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    How much solution do you make for a typical rinseless? Do you measure out how much water or possibly have your bucket marked to a specific quantity i.e. a mark at every gallon? Or do you choose instead to just measure how much rinseless solution you’re putting into the bucket and just sort of eyeball how much water you put in there?

Trying to get an idea whether your rinseless wash can be accomplished with 1 or 2 gallons per wash.
    I put gallon marks on a couple of buckets, but I generally just make 5 gallons of whatever I'm using. I always have 2-3 different wash products ready to use.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast