autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: On the hunt for a new car wash soap.

It has been raining here in CA so much I haven't done much washing recently. The update for now is I've only tried out 2 new car washes, one time each so far.

McKee's seemed pretty good. Maybe roughly equivalent to DG901 in my eyes. McKee's has a pleasant smell but it's very faint - too faint IMHO. Overall a very good soap, though nothing in particular stands out to me yet.

Reset literally wowed me as soon as I did the first swipe on the roof. Rich slippery soap solution lasted forever in the MF chenille wash mitt. Many car washes (I thought all of them, until now...) require frequent trips back to the buckets for rinsing and replenishing. I think the MF soaks up the soap. I haven't had nearly that 'drying out' experience with other types of mitts.

Although the car washed with Reset wasn't filthy, it was certainly dirty enough to be a pretty good test of cleaning power, with week-old bug fragments, bird droppings, and splashed-up road grime behind the wheels. Reset did very well in this department, I thought.

After the car was dried it looked extra good. I wasn't expecting this so I don't think it was a placebo effect. Maybe it was the lighting, as I finished the car while the sun was still out (the car itself was shaded) which doesn't happen very often. But I kept looking back at it.

The one drawback to Reset for me was the lack of any scent. I know judging a product by its smell is silly but a nice-smelling product certainly adds to the enjoyment of its use, to me. D156 and Optimum Car Wash are probably two of the best products in the smell department IMO.

Still to come: Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and Ultima Paint Guard. So far Reset is head and shoulders above anything else I've used.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Car Wash Plus works great and there is no need for a bucket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    wow that's like nothing since i'm currently using 3 or 4 ounces of pinnacle soap per bottle fill. i might have to pick some up. i could use a tablespoon or so and that would be super strong. the gallon jug would last me about twenty years at that rate. i just cant believe that small amount would be enough to get the foam im getting now with the pinnacle stuff. that would be incredible.
    I use about 1-2 ounces of soap in 32 oz cannon bottle, I am trying to figure in the water added by the power washer during the spraying process. Its no exact science about 2.5 gallons per minute for my power washer and I spray the soap on for about 2 minutes so thats about 5 gallons of water. But it can vary widely by inlet water pressure and how well your cannon bottle works and on and on. I found my balance by using less and less soap in the bottle mixture till I saw a drop in suds production. 1 oz gives me pretty good suds that are workable and easy to rinse 2 oz I get very thick suds (i like when the cars real dirty) but it can be a bit of a pain to rinse clear from body gaps mirrors and moldings. I like the bottle set to highest foam injection setting and using my soap as diluted as possible as I find it draws the soap up better that way, if I try set the bottle at a lower foam rate and use more soap in the bottle the mixture is thicker and harder to draw up the suction line and I get much more varied performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oboroballa03 View Post
    I like hyper wash havent really had any problems out of it and it works great in the foam cannon so i have never switched to anything else since i started using it.
    can you tell me how much megs you put in the foam cannon ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
    Reset literally wowed me as soon as I did the first swipe on the roof. Rich slippery soap solution lasted forever in the MF chenille wash mitt. Many car washes (I thought all of them, until now...) require frequent trips back to the buckets for rinsing and replenishing. I think the MF soaks up the soap. I haven't had nearly that 'drying out' experience with other types of mitts.

Although the car washed with Reset wasn't filthy, it was certainly dirty enough to be a pretty good test of cleaning power, with week-old bug fragments, bird droppings, and splashed-up road grime behind the wheels. Reset did very well in this department, I thought.

After the car was dried it looked extra good. I wasn't expecting this so I don't think it was a placebo effect. Maybe it was the lighting, as I finished the car while the sun was still out (the car itself was shaded) which doesn't happen very often. But I kept looking back at it.
    Dang you just sold me on that stuff... I don't do bucket washes on my vehicles all the time, but I'm getting tired of lackluster soaps that leave much to be desired. That stuff sounds legit.

For the people who use Reset: Is the 500ml... My bad, does the 16oz. bottle of Reset seem too small? From what I've read it seems like most people prefer to use closer to 2oz. per wash instead of the 1oz. that Carpro seems to claim is good enough per bucket. At that rate it will only yield 8 washes per 16oz. bottle. Is the small bottle a waste of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 500mL bottle of Reset. After 1 wash it doesn't look like I used a lot. I've always eye-balled how much soap goes into the bucket, but now I've 'stolen' an old measuring cup from the kitchen to be more accurate. I'll be on the lookout for a cheap plastic 5oz measuring cup to leave in my car wash bucket for the future.

Be interested to hear your impressions of Reset if you give it a try.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We have always used Adam's Shampoo and never been disappointed. You do not have to use a lot for each wash either.

Post Thanks / Like

Reset is the soap for me on Gloss Coat every other wash.
    I switch it up with Optimum car wash. Reset falls off the coating the best.

The 16oz bottle of reset lasts awhile considering I have only used it on my car and also do rinseless washes.

Gulps of Meguiars Gold Class work for my wheels.

I use 1.5 ounces for 3.5 gallons and yes E2K get the liter bottle right away

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
    Be interested to hear your impressions of Reset if you give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I use 1.5 ounces for 3.5 gallons and yes E2K get the liter bottle right away
    Yup, I ordered a bottle the next day, it should be here friday. I had the 1 liter bottle + a Nanoskin Prep Towel in my cart, but it wouldn't let me use my fav. coupon code so I ended up dumping both items and just settled for the 16oz. bottle @ $15.

I have a couple of 3.5 gallon buckets. Sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5 gallon bucket for my 3.5 gallon guess. If I have to tilt it towards the end, whatever, it's dirt free anyway.

I can't deal with any more than 4 gallons in a fiver, too sloshy.

Drinking coffee from a tapered coffee cup doesn't work either. I need a mug to keep from drooling on myself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast