autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New coatings?

Mike Phillips

Re: New coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post

How's the durability on M37 vs Gloss Coat?
    My guess is the Gloss Coat would potentially last longer but there's no real practical way of knowing.

I do know that Gloss Coat imparts a rubbery feel and McKee's 37 imparts a slick feel.

As for longevity, I think this feature is blown out of all practicality. One year for any product is long enough for a daily driver. After one year you want to do "something" to the paint to remove any road film that builds up. So in my opinion, having a coating that lasts a year is optimum and all you want and need. Then after a year, re-polish which means restore that brand new car look and then re-coat.

My two cents for what it's worth...

Post Thanks / Like

The g techniq line of csl and exo on top produces some stellar results. It's not the cost effective way but folks speak highly of it. I'll be doing my wife's in the spring with this combo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    Optimum Paint Coating This is the first I used and was super simple to use. Problem with this is it lasts a long time and you will need to wash less often and no need to wax. I find myself walking around my van and realizing it just needs a rinseless from time to time. I spent money on a pressure cleaner that only gets use on other peoples paint now. I spend 1/3rd of the time that I used to spend cleaning my own ride. Sounds strange but sometime I miss the old days of 3hr wash,dry,wax. I also have Tuf shine tire sealant on the tires.TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit, tuf shine tire dressing, permanent tire shine, permanent tire sealant
    Regular washing is critical to getting the most out of a coating. Without regular (weekly or bi-weekly) washes contaminants will start to bond to the surface and begin to affect the hydrophobic properties of the coatings that we all love so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    As for longevity, I think this feature is blown out of all practicality. One year for any product is long enough for a daily driver. After one year you want to do "something" to the paint to remove any road film that builds up. So in my opinion, having a coating that lasts a year is optimum and all you want and need. Then after a year, re-polish which means restore that brand new car look and then re-coat.
    Agree 200%. I have been using McKee's since last summer and have had no complaints thus far. The owner of the 300 I just did questioned it but I explained the various coatings I have available in my cabinet and why I continue to recommend McKee's vs the others on Daily Drivers. I also let the results speak for themselves and again, have had no complaints.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating is really easy to apply and it is supposed to last 3 years. It has lasted two years on my Mother's car that doesn't get regular washes (I'm a bad son). This Spring I plan on stripping it down/deconning it and trying out some CarPro Essence Plus to see if I can actually stretch the coating out another year.

I'm not in total agreement with Mike on the 1 year coating thing. If you just want to get 1 year out of something go with a cheaper sealant/wax combo. I understand the new Sonax coating is rated for 1 year. I'm not sure what testing was done or even when it will be released, but it will be a hard sell with all other coatings touting at least a 2 year life. I'm assuming Mike has tested the new Sonax coating since the Sonax importer is now the owner of AG. Again, I have not seen the new Sonax coating, just quoting what I read last year. Sonax is a purveyor of very good products, like Polymer Net Shield which lasts 6-8 months. I won't be hard for them to develop a product that lasts at least a year.

Post Thanks / Like

1 year is the max I would go because I can't keep my hands off my car, my SUV is half mckees and half PBL. my car well each panel is something different and it's always changing because I want to try them all!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick 2 panel test I ran including a short video at the end.

Van was coated with McKee's 37 back in Sept and while it's been very well cared for by yours truly, it has been 3 weeks of rain, salt and more rain since it's had a bath.

Notice how just like the OP'er the top is clean, looks great but the sides that constantly get sprayed are coated with dried mist of road grime, salt, etc.

Steps are as follows:
    • I did a rinseless with Wolfgang Uber like I normally do.
    • Dried
    • Sprayed with plain water for the test

Dirty Beast:

Sprayed with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless:

Clean and Dry:

Not perfect but good for the test:

Here's a short video shot in HD showing it beading water from top to bottom.

Notice how the water beads and cascades in all areas. Seems that the coating is doing it's job and the gloss is still very very good.

https://youtu.be/JNYTRcOZCU4
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of sprayer is that? It sounds automatic but I can see u squeezing it, it has good pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    What kind of sprayer is that? It sounds automatic but I can see u squeezing it, it has good pressure

I'll PM You as I bought it online. It's a dual action spray head thus is sprays both on pull and release of the trigger. The only downside for me is I bought the 16oz size vs 32 but I just wasn't sure if I'd like it.

EDIT: No longer available but in general it's a Double Mist Trigger Sprayer.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast