autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is It Worth Upgrading From 7424XP TO GG6?

Plain and simple question.

I have the 7424XP. I've done my fair searching before I asked this question.

The consensus is that the GG6 is better, but the 7424XP is not bad. Since I've not done a correction in sometime, I am trying to sway away from the Flex.

Is it worth it to spend the extra money on this upgrade?

Purchased two new cars and both of them need a 2-step.

I don't mind the 7424XP, but, if I remember correctly, it took 20-30 minutes per panel, if not more. GG6 is more powerful. It seems to me that the Flex would solve my problem, but I'm afraid that I may end up burning the paint or damaging the vehicle so that is why I am limiting myself to more newb-friendly buffers. Fatigue was also a big factor when using the 7424XP and the vibration.

Any advice/recommendations is much appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is It Worth Upgrading From 7424XP TO GG6?

imo anything with high speed can burn paint its probably the user behind the tool will cause it.... Im not pro here, but if I were to step up from pc finding a griots which is similar in many ways wouldnt be too much of an upgrade. There are flexs/rupes that are game changers and imo those are worthy upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not equip the PC with a 3" backing plate for tight areas and get something like a GG Boss 15. Still a random orbital so very safe, very smooth so less fatigue and corrects faster bkz of the larger orbit.

Another thought if you want to just keep the PC is to equip it with some of the new very thin pads which make it more effective with less stalling.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a good answer ski2.

If price is a concern, then I would go with just upgrading your pads depending on what you already have.

It it may make a bigger difference.

Make sure you are using a good quality compound and polish too. It doesn't have to be super fancy/expensive, but good. The BOSS Creams or Meguiars Ultimate combo would be fine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Why not equip the PC with a 3" backing plate for tight areas and get something like a GG Boss 15. Still a random orbital so very safe, very smooth so less fatigue and corrects faster bkz of the larger orbit.

Another thought if you want to just keep the PC is to equip it with some of the new very thin pads which make it more effective with less stalling.
    This is exactly what I would like to do. I did some research and figured this is my best option for now.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I'd probably do myself if I was looking to go past the PC7424XP.

Tough choices I know, because after just typing that above, I'm later saying, "well that Flex is truly a workhorse, and the Rupes sound like such a smooth machine too." LOL

As for warrantee, you cannot beat Griots Garage.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k20trick View Post
    imo anything with high speed can burn paint its probably the user behind the tool will cause it.... Im not pro here, but if I were to step up from pc finding a griots which is similar in many ways wouldnt be too much of an upgrade. There are flexs/rupes that are game changers and imo those are worthy upgrades.
    Exactly why I want to sway away from it, because I do not have enough confidence just yet, although, I don't believe I'd burn the paint.

Is the GG Boss 15 the one that is similar in price to the Flex? Do you have any recommendations in pads that I should use? I believe I have a 5" backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I think that's a good answer ski2.

If price is a concern, then I would go with just upgrading your pads depending on what you already have.

It it may make a bigger difference.

Make sure you are using a good quality compound and polish too. It doesn't have to be super fancy/expensive, but good. The BOSS Creams or Meguiars Ultimate combo would be fine.
    Price is a moderate concern.

Which pads do you recommend? I normally use M105/M205. I use the M205 first then the M105 (unless the area needs major correcting).

One question though: Do polishes/compound expire? My M105/M205 is roughly 2-3 years old since I bought the 32oz and have a lot leftover.

Post Thanks / Like

I only have a PC 7424XP right now, and my choice will be going to a long throw machine (Boss G15 or G21). I feel the GG6 is only side step in correction ability unlike a large step forward with a larger orbiting machine. The reduced noise and vibration of the Rupes/Boss line is what is really drawing me in over the 7424XP. If you don't plan on doing paint correction outside of your own vehicles, I would stick with the 7424XP and maybe grab some Lake Country ThinPro pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Plain and simple question.

I have the 7424XP. I've done my fair searching before I asked this question.

The consensus is that the GG6 is better, but the 7424XP is not bad. Since I've not done a correction in sometime, I am trying to sway away from the Flex.

Is it worth it to spend the extra money on this upgrade?

Purchased two new cars and both of them need a 2-step.

I don't mind the 7424XP, but, if I remember correctly, it took 20-30 minutes per panel, if not more. GG6 is more powerful. It seems to me that the Flex would solve my problem, but I'm afraid that I may end up burning the paint or damaging the vehicle so that is why I am limiting myself to more newb-friendly buffers. Fatigue was also a big factor when using the 7424XP and the vibration.

Any advice/recommendations is much appreciated. Thanks
    Sorry, that I forgot to mention, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay.

Others mention the importance of pads, and there has been some nice additions of thin Pads from various makers lately.

I see you mention the 2 vehicles, and wishing to do 2-step processes on both. With that said, and you're not a professional, but more a hobbyist as myself, I really don't see huge gobs of time saved on just you're own personal vehicles.

A professional then yes, because time can equate to money.

Sure, a forced rotation machine like the Flex 3401 is not bogging down period. But the section passes will still need to be done, regardless.

Thin pads and good technique will help with making the PC DA a better, more efficient machine to use.

Other factors are too, what polishes are being used? And then dialing in what is needed. As Mike P would say, try to simplify processes as much as possible, and to not work backwards.

Some modern polish types are so good and technically advanced, that they can often be just one step products which will remove heavier swirls and sleeks, yet still finish down so beautifully that no further work might need to be done.

Such a product I've found that does this impeccably, is Wolfgang Uber Compound. I've found that it finishes down just as nicely as Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, yet has the ability to remove deeper swirls, and damage.

YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with the Porter Cable.

The GG6 was my first DA polisher. Two things can be said about the PC and the GG6 - they are both very good instruments. It's interesting to me to see that with all the great new polishers out there, I still see people like Mike Phillips periodically using the PC in even some of his most up to date videos and details. This suggests to me that the PC can still hold its own when it comes to paint correction.

I echo some of the other sentiments here: it could be the compound/polish selection; it could be pad selection (the thinner pads are easier to work with); it could be technique. It could be any combination of the above.

For me, the GG6 did an excellent job, but I wanted something faster and more en vogue, so I eventually went with the Rupes 15 and the Flex. I converted my GG6 to one with a 3 inch backing plate and used it for the tighter areas. Now I have a Rupes Mini, so I sold my GG6/3.

If money is not a concern (relatively speaking), then I'd upgrade to one of the BOSS polishers or the Rupes line. Since they aren't forced rotation like the Flex, I think you'd be less likely (but definitely can burn -- you can do that with a PC too!) to burn through the paint. Then convert your PC to a 3 inch polisher.

Alternately, since the PC is still a respected device, maybe invest a little in some new pads and different polishes to see if that's the issue.

Also - I agree with what's been said about the GG warranty. It amazes me that GG replaces polishers that at times have seemed to be more user-related failure than manufacture-related failure. All around, it's a great company.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast