autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next bang for buck for weekly washes?

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'll stick with the ONR, and pick up an electric pressure washer to knock as much dirt off before touching the cars.

I'll definitely switch to a separate bucket to wash wheels first. I'm probably drying too hard with the towel trying to get dried water off instead of immediately hitting the car with the leaf blower.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'll stick with the ONR, and pick up an electric pressure washer to knock as much dirt off before touching the cars.

I'll definitely switch to a separate bucket to wash wheels first. I'm probably drying too hard with the towel trying to get dried water off instead of immediately hitting the car with the leaf blower.
    If it gets old dealing with the leaf blower (or doesn't want to disturb neighbor), try drying with a damp/wrung out microfiber. Doesn't have to be a big one, a 16x16 or 16x24 rag is more than enough to get the job done.

Gently go over the panels & wring out the towel as you go. Let the haze evaporate by themselves. Inspect later for streaks. Chances are you will find very little to none. Blot those if you do.

I've been doing this for a while and man does it saves me time, not to mention feels better than dragging a dry towel (even with drying aid) atop of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

It coat with mckees paint coating and the use a rinseless of D115 or ech2o when you can. I've had good results on this black Stang

It was coated in August and I've only had the chance to wash it 5 times since, the last wash was with ech2o. The coating is holding up great, when it came in we had just had the most rain in like 14 years and while it helped the area it killed the cars shine, but a quick rinseless and it was good as new

Next bang for buck for weekly washes?-1486929783126-jpg
    Next bang for buck for weekly washes?-1486929794213-jpg
    Next bang for buck for weekly washes?-1486929689305-jpgNext bang for buck for weekly washes?-1486929695342-jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest45 View Post
    Single bucket. ONRWW. Big red sponge. High quality drying towels.

Pre rinse with hose if really bad.
    It's close to where I'm at right now, too. I don't have the Big Red Sponge (BRS) yet. I'm using the Blue waffle one and a Lake Country blue BRS knockoff. I like both. I will get the BRS soon.
    For black I would wipe in BF Midnight Sun Spray Wax every month or two and Wolfgang Uber Rinseless at detail strength in between. My current method is: Metro Sidekick to knockoff 80-90 percent of the water; mist wax or Uber; Sidekick in left hand, pre-misted drying towel in right - using both together to finish to a shine.
    The Sidekick will actually allow you to float the towel to lighten the pressure while finishing (Plus get all the hidden water out). The Sidekick and sponge have turned washes into a one towel operation (for most washes) If I don't find a better system soon, I'll probably get the Metro Revolution Master Blaster to replace the Sidekick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post

Since you already have the pressure washer out just use Meguiars Car Wash Plus. No bucket needed and will remove your light scratches. Much faster than ONR since you can wash the whole vehicle before rinsing --- With your method if you spray off the car first and then use ONR, the water left on the car dilutes the ONR solution and could cause scratches from lack of lubricity

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Something that has helped me more than ANYTHING is having a 2-3 gallon chemical sprayer.

I'll pre-spray the vehicle with ONR, all over, and double up on the heavy spots. This will help break apart some of the dirt and grime, allowing you to have less to worry about when it comes to washing.

If you want, you could get some boar's hair brushes, to be meticulous with grills, tires, badges, and what have you.

As far as drying, I use Griot's speed shine, if I'm doing a rinseless wash. If I have access to a hose, I'll take my time, and sheet the water off.

After that, I'll usually use Meg's X-press Wax, if I know the car has a coating/sealant on that's fresh. (Truly works on any surface, including trim... It actually helps lock in your gel/coating on the trim, so it doesn't appear/feel sticky.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CParrott View Post
    I got one for sale, if you want it lol
    how much? can you dry a compact suv with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    Since you already have the pressure washer out just use Meguiars Car Wash Plus. No bucket needed and will remove your light scratches. Much faster than ONR since you can wash the whole vehicle before rinsing --- With your method if you spray off the car first and then use ONR, the water left on the car dilutes the ONR solution and could cause scratches from lack of lubricity
    meguiars car wash plus strips wax off the car

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    The lack of lubricity stands out to me, since I usually do rinse the car completely again before drying. Need to figure something out there.

As a general update to the point of this thread:

I bought a generic Home Depot pressure washer. I decided I could justify it for other projects around the house. 1600 or 1750 psi I think. It didn't add too much to the car washing, except I knew I was removing a slightly increased amount of dirt/debris before wiping with the ONR wash and a soft microfiber rag. How much of an increase, I can't really tell.

Then I got a generic corded leaf blower from walmart. That was huge. I don't really have to put a drying towel on the car at all. Yeah I have to deal with extension cords, but I already have them out for the pressure washer anyway.

The pressure washer was about $150 and the leaf blower was $30. I should have done the leaf blower first, and a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a one bucket with grit guard and optimum car wash (not the no rinse although I do plan on getting some ONR to mix in to help with the hard water we have here). If you don't like waxing look into a synthetic wax, sealant, or coating. Personally I use Meguiars ultimate wax and quik wax after regular washes but there are lots of great options. If you don't want to get a new leaf blower look at the Griots PFM drying towels. I can do my entire Silverado 2500 with one and could probably dry part of another car as well. Pressure washer is great to knock off a large amount of dirt before hand washing especially on my truck that gets driven on dirt roads and to jobsites daily. For trim I use 303 aerospace, Doesn't last forever but it looks good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast