autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

15mo old car with Opti-coat installed now showing fallout/contaminants what product should I use?

I've always read the forums in past history but never posted, so thank you in advance for all the insight.

I have a white BMW that had Opticoat installed as new in Oct2015, and the car has been detailed every 4-6 months since then, with regular cleanings. Just recently for the first time on the driver/passenger doors there are black spots that are not easily coming off with cleaning/washing. I'd assume it is contaminants and simply fallout from the atmosphere etc. I would like to begin to maintain the car myself going forward and not continue to take to detailer both for cost$ reasons and simply wanting to do my self, so my question is what product should I use to clean these areas? The detailer last uses Sonox Polymer net shield in August when the car was last detailed, so its time for a detail again but would love some guidance on steps to take. I was afraid to clay the car given the opticoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 15mo old car with Opti-coat installed now showing fallout/contaminants what product should I use?

Do you have photos you can share?

I'm guessing the fall outs are orange-brownish? most likely rail dust. You can use clay bars or iron-x (or other iron removal products).
    Check out my YouTube Channel!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 15mo old car with Opti-coat installed now showing fallout/contaminants what product should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin15 View Post
    I have a white BMW that had Opticoat installed as new in Oct2015, and the car has been detailed every 4-6 months since then, with regular cleanings. .
    Please describe the steps he took while "detailing"........

The opticoat may long be hostory

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll get some photo's tonight when i get home.....thank you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Please describe the steps he took while "detailing"........

The opticoat may long be hostory
    Sonox Polymer Net Shield was applied the most recent outing, I was under the impression the opticoat is only applied once. Again, sorry for my ignorance on the matter, outside of these black spots the car looks great. No scratches, swirling, cobwebs to speak of.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonox Polymer Net Shield was applied the most recent outing, I was under the impression the opticoat is only applied once. Again, sorry for my ignorance on the matter, outside of these black spots the car looks great. No scratches, swirling, cobwebs to speak of.
    I'm more wondering what he did to "prep" the car for the pns

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    I'm more wondering what he did to "prep" the car for the pns
    I do not know, is it possible nothing was needed to "prep" the car?

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know, is it possible nothing was needed to "prep" the car?
    It's possible,.... I just associate "detail" with more than just a wash and seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't sound like opticoat is still on there.. I'm definitely not a optimum fan boy but you should find out from your detailer who used polymer net shield what he did because a coating should render road tar easily wiped off. He may have just polished off your 1500 dollar coating..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Doesn't sound like opticoat is still on there.. I'm definitely not a optimum fan boy but you should find out from your detailer who used polymer net shield what he did because a coating should render road tar easily wiped off. He may have just polished off your 1500 dollar coating..
    That's where I was going with my questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast