autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I give up?

Not sure where to go with this as frustration has hit. I was fortunate to be able to purchase a 2016 Yukon Denali back in May. I broke one of my own rules by picking black as a DD. I convinced myself that I could deal with it, but it is making me crazy.

As most on this forum, I have spent hundreds on premium wash mits, pads, MF, washes, WW, detail sprays, drying aids, coatings etc that are only used for this car. I have used the 2 bucket method for every wash, using one mit for the body above the door trim and another for below the trim. I followup with blow drying and using detail spray as a drying aid. I only use the front to back wash pattern to wash or to remove light dust. I truly thought I have taken every precaution, but as I was walking back to the car in the parking lot I saw swirls; a lot of swirls. If it's this bad with the washing methods, coating etc that I have used, how bad would it be if I used an automatic car wash?

Got any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I give up?

Were they on when you bought the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Garry Dean Wash method
    MK7 GTI (stage 3-500whp) / Audi B8.5 S4 (dual pulley-430awhp) / Mercedes C43 AMG (JB4-380awhp)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Were they on when you bought the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone
    Nothing noticable, but corrected just to be sure prior to coating. I've never used coating so I went with McKees. I think I applied it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay's 128i View Post
    Not sure what this is, sorry.

When washing I typically make a pass at the top of the panel working may way down. After making 3-4 passes, I flip the mit over and wash that same area again. Then I rinse the mit and start the process again. For example: 3-4 passes only covers the glass, rinse mit; then the door to the trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Fest View Post
    Nothing noticable, but corrected just to be sure prior to coating. I've never used coating so I went with McKees. I think I applied it correctly.
    Did you use the Mckee's Coating Prep Polish prior to the coating?

What did you polish it with to correct it prior to the coating?
    Which soap do you currently use? And which detailing spray and waterless wash?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Was it Mike P that said "black vehicles are a full time job"? I swear my dads black maxima gets more swirls every time the wind blows. Even with perfect technique and the best of products, it can be tough to keep a black vehicle [relatively] swirl free. Do you own a DA polisher? Maybe hit it with an AIO a couple times a year? If it's never been machine polished, that would be a good start. And then after that initial clean-up, maybe you'll be able to focus in on exactly which part(s) of your detailing regimen could use adjustment.

I find that I need to alter my longer-term expectations with black vehicles. It's just part of the deal. But they sure do look good after a polishing session.

Post Thanks / Like

And why is your name Ford Fest, but you bought a Yukon Denali? Lol. J/kShould I give up?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Give up or trade it in for a white one LOL ...............
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Polish just the hood until it is perfect then wash how you always do for the next few washes.After each of these washes check for any defects to determine if it is your wash method. If it is your wash method then study which part of your method creates the marks.In my case I was removing bugs to aggressively and using detail spray when I should have used waterless wash. I took a full year too realize that sometimes it is better to leave the paint dirty until I have the time to clean it with the method best suited for the level of contamination. Now I have gone 6 months defect free and have used two bucket with soap, two bucket rinsless,waterless,and zero detail spray. I have replaced my detail spray with a waterless spray and two towels one wet and one dry.Good luck finding a new system for your nice car it will be very satisfying when you do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay's 128i View Post
    This works best on my black 4Runner. If you don't know what it is, go read up. Will take 5 mins, max. You'll need to get some good microfiber towels. A lot of them. I'd start with a dozen. That's not enough, but until you try it and than have to wash them you won't believe me that you need more.

My approach is to get as much dirt off it as I can before I wash it. Hose, pressure washer, brushless car wash - whatever you can use. Then use MF towels with Garry Dean method. I unless the car is very clean I do one pass down a vertical panel and then that section of towel is done. It's a little tedious and you'll wash a lot of MF towels. And you won't eliminate the scratches, you'll just minimize them.

I used to think 2 buckets (or 3) with mitts and grit guards HAD to be good enough. Not for black paint, esp soft black paint. Every little bit of dirt that's still trapped in that mitt looks like a mini-boulder to your black paint, and those particles are hiding there, like invisible sandpaper, just waiting to screw up your paint. Doesn't matter how much dirt you see in your rinse bucket. It's all the dirt you CAN'T see in your mitt that's causing the problem. (At least that's the conclusion I reached. I could be wrong.)

Trying to keep a black car looking good is an evolution. You have to find good-enough and be willing to live with it.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast