autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Well water

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Well water

So I am buying my first house (if inspection goes well) and the house is provided with water via well. Usually I hear well is high in Iron and all not sure how true. But since I plan to be able to wash my truck in spring, is there anything special I have to do since it's well?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well water

I have well water and use a water softener and water filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2016 Subaru Forester XT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07rs View Post
    I have well water and use a water softener and water filters.

Almost a must for washing clothes and your car. Wife would also enjoy a water softener for bathing.

Post Thanks / Like

I / we have a well and it really depends on your situation. We happen to have very good water, no need for a softener and I change our whole house filter once every 2 years. So need to play it by ear. You can go to your town / cities board of health and get the water report, but there is no guarantee it hasn't changed since the well was drilled.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I'm dumb, has a softener and all that jazz. Wasn't sure if anything else needed because I know you use salt but salt and metal is a no go, so not sure if anything else is better to use for that?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a water softener for over 20 years and never had an issue with the salt causing any damage to the cars, and on the plus side I don't get any water spots from the hard well water.

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Post Thanks / Like

Bring a correctly collected sample of the water to a reputable lab and have it tested...both for "hardness" and if it is bacteriological safe.

A local lab can supply a container for the sample, simple instructions on how to collect the sample, and recommend what tests should be performed. THEN a decision on what treatment, if any, is needed.

The salt added to the water by a correctly functioning softener is very minimal.

My home well has a sediment filter, water softener, carbon filter, and UV purifier.

Post Thanks / Like

I moved into a new house with a new well. Any company wanting to sell a water softener will come test your water for hardness, Total dissolved solids, and presence of certain elements (iron, manganese, etc) so I had 4 tests. My water was clear, no odor, ph around 7.8, no iron wuth around 8 grains hardness. The county tests the well for bacteria and minerals and we also needed a UV light to be sure it was clean along with a water softener.

With the softener, soaps suds much easier and feels slicker.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

9. Thanks kb2ehj thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddy01 View Post
    Wasn't sure if anything else needed because I know you use salt but salt and metal is a no go, so not sure if anything else is better to use for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by 07rs View Post
    I've been using a water softener for over 20 years and never had an issue with the salt causing any damage to the cars, and on the plus side I don't get any water spots from the hard well water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt1xL82 View Post
    The salt added to the water by a correctly functioning softener is very minimal.
    It's the chloride in salt (sodium chloride, or potassium choloride that's sometimes used in softeners) that causes corrosion. However it is the sodium (or potassium) ion that is exchanged for the hardness ions in water, so although the softened water has sodium in it, it doesn't have "salt".

Post Thanks / Like

oh god no! well water is only for your lawn. if your going to use it for anything else you'll need a filter and a UV light to kill bacteria if your going to drink it. For your cars get a DI Filter, very cheep to rent and you'll love it!