autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro DLUX recoating question

I coated my wrinkle finish black fiberglass targa top in DLUX. The first coat looked fantastic but it's been my practice to apply two coats of DLUX to black plastic parts. My memory is terrible but in retrospect I think I usually wait at least 24 hours before the second coat. This time did the second application a few hours after the first, using the exact same method as the first coat. I could tell right away that the gloss level was inconsistent after the second coat. It's evened out somewhat as it has dried but the shine is still not as even as it was after the first coat. I guess I shoulda waited the full 24 hours as in the past, right? Or should DLUX not be recoated at all?

Anyway, the top doesn't look bad at all and I'm probably the only one who would notice it but I'm a perfectionist so it bugs me. If there were a way to remove it and start over I would, but posts here seem to indicate there's no solvent that will remove DLUX (please tell me if this is wrong) and obviously polishing isn't an option due to the textured finish. So should I attempt another thin coat of DLUX after 24+ hours or is that tempting fate? And has anyone ever tried Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant over DLUX? I'm thinking that might be a way to even out the gloss level of another coat of DLUX is a bad idea. Other ideas?

TIA for any help!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro DLUX recoating question

Additional info since I can't figure out how to edit the original post-- looked at the top with a magnifying glass and found that the difference in gloss level is apparently due to the fact that not all of the recessed areas of the grained finish actually got coated. I guess the first application got all the high spots and then the second application started getting down to some of the lower areas, but not all of them.

So the question becomes, can I safely add a third coat of DLUX, and does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to ensure that all of the graining is coated?

Post Thanks / Like

I never had luck with that product. You may want to try a different applicator to make sure it is worked in to the texture. Go with Gyeon trim next time

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful about over-using products like DLux and C4. It took Rob from GTechniq posting here to get me to understand that these are coatings, and just like you can get high spots with paint coatings, you can overapply and get high spots with trim coatings, which wind up giving a gray/white/silver appearance. The problem is, it's a lot easier to polish off a high spot on smooth paint than it is on textured trim.

PS Yes, people use products like WETS over trim coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi , 1 layer is enough , no need to build layers , and if you do want wait at least 24h to do the second layer
    the difference you saw its because the silan from the first layer maybe wasnt dry yet enough so it made that inconsistent as you said.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not use gyeon.Think you have a headache now use that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    Hi , 1 layer is enough , no need to build layers , and if you do want wait at least 24h to do the second layer
    the difference you saw its because the silan from the first layer maybe wasnt dry yet enough so it made that inconsistent as. you said.
    Avi, is there any chemical that will remove Dlux short of an acid? I've tried every solvent that I can think of too no avail. Tried Magic Eraser and that helped, but still splotchy. Ultimate Compound did the best job, but a lot of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Strong apc and eraser takes it right off.you will need a apc with butly.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in with my 2˘ since I have used this product multiple times, starting shortly after it came out - and why I don't use it anymore .

Ok,

Initially the product works and looks great. Longevity is excellent - 1 year +. However, IME, on daily drivers kept outside - the coating seems to oxidize somewhere before year 2.

The problem is, at this point, there seems to be no way to remove the coating 100% from plastic surfaces it was applied to.

So, any dummy would just think "OK, just re-coat with DLux"... The problem is, the second time around, the coating durability is MUCH less - a few months IME. And also the finish looks "uneven" (sort of like what the OP described).

So, in a sense, to me - the surface is now damaged (stained with uneven coats of DLux). I'm not sure what APC some people are using, but no APC comes close to removing cured DLux from plastics IME.

So, I stay away from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I'll chime in with my 2˘ since I have used this product multiple times, starting shortly after it came out - and why I don't use it anymore .

Ok,

Initially the product works and looks great. Longevity is excellent - 1 year +. However, IME, on daily drivers kept outside - the coating seems to oxidize somewhere before year 2.

The problem is, at this point, there seems to be no way to remove the coating 100% from plastic surfaces it was applied to.

So, any dummy would just think "OK, just re-coat with DLux"... The problem is, the second time around, the coating durability is MUCH less - a few months IME. And also the finish looks "uneven" (sort of like what the OP described).

So, in a sense, to me - the surface is now damaged (stained with uneven coats of DLux). I'm not sure what APC some people are using, but no APC comes close to removing cured DLux from plastics IME.

So, I stay away from it.
    Agree had to paint 2 mirrors.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast