autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless vs waterless

With the temperature below freezing, and my vehicles a mess with salt and whatever else MoDot uses on our roads, I've been wondering which is the better route. I purchased a bottle of McKee's waterless wash on the go, but I'm wondering if this is strong enough to get the caked on gunk off safely. How many of you use a similar product and how many go with one of the waterless techniques shown here? I have a "heated" garage to work in for our car, but the truck is too big so I'm limited to when it's warm enough to tolerate.

Thoughts appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless vs waterless

I personally dislike waterless washing. You can use hot water for your rinseless buckets.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried both this past weekend at the same time. Sprayed down the car with waterless and let it loosen the dirt and then used a warm water rinseless. Granted the car was not caked in salt but why not give it a try for worse-case scenarios?

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    With the temperature below freezing, and my vehicles a mess with salt and whatever else MoDot uses on our roads, I've been wondering which is the better route. I purchased a bottle of McKee's waterless wash on the go, but I'm wondering if this is strong enough to get the caked on gunk off safely. How many of you use a similar product and how many go with one of the waterless techniques shown here? I have a "heated" garage to work in for our car, but the truck is too big so I'm limited to when it's warm enough to tolerate.
    I personally only do true waterless on a lightly dusty type dust/dirt, not winter salt spray. If my car is covered in salt and Ohio muck, I do a rinseless and have no concerns over doing so. If it's really really bad, I just pay $10 to do a touchless wash and do a rinseless at home. My rinseless is a modified Gary Dean method whereby I fold my 480gsm 16x16 Eagle Edgless towels so each swipe is with a clean side. The number of MF Rags I use all depends on how dirty the car is. May use as few as 3-4 or as many as 8-9. For your truck that won't fit, I would just do a touchless and be done with hit.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I also prefer rinseless. I use the Gary Dean method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIm2JgXOBI8
    Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When the winter comes around, I prefer to use the good old garden sprayer filled with 2 gallons of the warmest water out of my faucet.
    I usually fill 2 gallons with 2-2.5 ounces of ONR, and go about spraying the heavy grime off of my vehicle. If it's absolutely horrible, I'll bring it into the garage, turn the bullet heater on, melt everything, and do the same process in a ~60 degree garage.

Seeing as I'm from Chicago, being -15 to 5 degrees today... I just washed my car outside. It's not perfect, but ONR on the horrible parts will get most of the salt off.

Having a few coats of collinite 476 on definitely helps the dirt come off.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in SD, so I get the same stuff you do. IMO waterless is just too risky for the amount of particulates mixed in with the "winter film". On a daily driver you can get away with it once in awhile, but doing it as a routine is asking for trouble. Grit sticks in the towels, etc. Rinseless is the way to go. If you're able to spray the vehicle first to knock off all the particulates, then I'm comfortable with waterless, but it sorta ends up becoming a "hybrid" method then anyway. Obviously, you're always better off pressure spraying a vehicle down first.

My routine is pressure spray followed by a pre-soak with rinse-less solution. Then I do a standard rinseless wash. All done at the car wash- I take along a 5-gal bucket with a gamma seal lid that contains about 3 gallons of solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    How many of you use a similar product
    and how many
    go with one of the waterless techniques shown here?

Thoughts appreciated.
    One thing for sure:
    •There are a bunch of "waterless techniques"
    shown here (and rinseless techniques as well,
    for that matter).

With that in mind:
    •I doubt that the "original" Waterless Wash
    (and/or RW techniques) are strictly adhered
    to very much.

As such:
    •I consider the majority of the WW/RW
    techniques I see here...and even the
    ones I do...to be "Hybrid processes".

•And to the extent of that proposition:
    -My versions of the Hybrid-WW processes
    are determined by how dirty the vehicles
    happen to be at that particular moment.

Of course: YMMV.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti