autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Van - What to do with the Roof

Brand New Nissan NV Passenger Van. The last few years, I have stepped up my game with my vehicles care. This one is brand new and want to have it looking great in 10 years. It does not fit in our garage so it will be in the Florida sun all of the time.

I already already have the basic detailers equipment including a random orbit polisher. I have used Collinite 845 for the last few years as a primary protectant and then Megs Spray Wax as a final.

A couple questions:
    1. The dealer says they already put on a protective coating. I have reached out to them to find out exactly what they put on it.
    2. Roof - while I tend to wash and spray wax my vehicles every 3-4 weeks and use Collinite 845 every 6 months, the roof will get neglected more than others due to time and difficulty and of course, it will get the most sun. Any best practice on this? Would a coating, sealant be better?
    3. What is the best practice in general to get the best long term protection for a new car in regard to coatings, sealants, vs a synthetic wax or product like Collinite 845?

I am also keeping in mind that I have a family of 9 and life happens. A wash and spray wax is not possible all of the time every month, sometimes, it might go 2 months.

Also, to make it easier, I think I am going to get a Boars hair brush on a pole. maybe a few of them because I always have kids that want to help.

Thanks
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Van - What to do with the Roof

Decon - polish - coat it

That will give it the best protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice van such a coincidence I'm looking at a used 2015 2500 with 20k mi and for 20k.for the roof use a spray sealant like rupes sealant protection.a phenomenal product and effortless to work with.Its not the same product as meguairs or any others.

Post Thanks / Like

Or like just like ronkh 57 mentioned coat the whole van.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to coat it professionally pm me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post

I am also keeping in mind that I have a family of 9 and life happens. A wash and spray wax is not possible all of the time every month, sometimes, it might go 2 months.
    I would agree with Ronkh57 & GSKR especially after you mentioned this. COAT IT!

Once it's coated the mentality is that of the old oven infomercials... "Just set it... AND FORGET IT" (kinda). If you're going to go two months or longer without applying additional LSP, coating is the way to go in my mind.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more with coating it. Rooves are a pain to not only get to to work it initially but to maintain it as well. I would like to think I've worked it initially and then layed down a looong term, more durable LSP. The FL sun is going to beat the heck out of it with just UV alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I will coat it. I have the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Complete Kit ( Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Complete Kit ) sitting in my cart with the nice 25% off and flat rate shipping today. I like that it can be used to coat other surfaces as well. The paint is just part of it. The plastic trim, chrome, wheels, etc need something too. A few of those items are redundant in the kit to what I have on hand but won't go to waste.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    Ok, so I will coat it. I have the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Complete Kit ( Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Complete Kit ) sitting in my cart with the nice 25% off and flat rate shipping today. I like that it can be used to coat other surfaces as well. The paint is just part of it. The plastic trim, chrome, wheels, etc need something too. A few of those items are redundant in the kit to what I have on hand but won't go to waste.
    You won't be disappointed with it. I did my wife's car when we got it a few months ago and put it on EVERYTHING.

The car looks great and it cleans up with an unparalleled ease.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Mike Phillips

For anyone new to using and applying coatings, here's a step-by-step how-to article that walks you through the process...

Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast