autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite combos in the land of Bigfoot?

Gonna be getting in to whole Rupes thing with the LHR15 Mark II Bigfoot soon (Yay gift certificate discount days!)

Curious as to what some of your favorite pad & polish/compound combos are? I realize all paint is different but there are likely some combos you reach for to start with, perhaps modifying selections after a few test spots.

I have found with the GG6, when things look dire, grab the D300 w/ some megs microfibre cutting discs and have at it, rarely does it not produce a welcome result. Likewise, when I have time to kill and wanna go over it all again looking to eek out perhaps a bit more clarity/gloss, I grab some Menz PO85RD/SF-3800 and a crimson LC Hydrotech.

Also, anything to stay away from, i.e. (HD Speed on a closed cell pad) that differs on a long-throw?

I know the Rupes is a 'system' and I'll give it a go just for fun but outside of that system, it appears that while ThinPros are preferred by some, generally it's apparent that lotsa folks like the Buff & Shine Uro-Tec pads, which seem to be a 'price-match' bargain at $83 for a 12-pak, but do ya get what ya pay for with these? LC HD Orbitals seem to be a popular choice as well and the Rupes pads some find 'less than durable' at times?

So...whatcha got?

Appreciate any input from those in the know...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite combos in the land of Bigfoot?

To many variables to answer that.paint condition and different paint systems are all different.90 percent of the time it's 205 on a micro cutting disc that will achieve nice results with out trying to bang your head against the wall trying to figure out the science behind all this like pads backing plates curing times on different products etc.Dont overthink this and just do test spots.Buy the norm fg 400 205 menz 3500 super finish and speed or the griots twins.with those product listed and just a basic pad selection you will be able to tackle and get the job done without going nuts and technique plays a important role as well.Ive watched so many videos from members on here and there technique is wrong.slow steady overlapping passes is the correct way to max out the potential of many products and pad combo.pinnacle twins you can just get by alone with those 2 products .

Post Thanks / Like

Thin pro is all I use.

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I variate from the "system", is when I use Megs M100, or Ultimate Compound on their blue microfiber discs, and M205 or Ultimate Polish on either the microfiber, or foam yellow pads.

I do however very much enjoy their system.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the Boss or BnS Low-Pro's for the MKII's as they provide superior cut and are more durable than the Rupes pads. Rupes Keramik on their yellow pad as intended will put a smile on your face when you see the results. Don't be afraid to go out of their system, you not restricted to it.

Post Thanks / Like

For finishing I am loving the CarPro Gloss Pads with Polish Angel Finishing Polish, awesome stuff. For cutting I still reach for Meg's cutting microfiber pads and Menz 400. I've stopped using the Rupes blues pads for various reasons and really not a huge fan of the green pads. I love the yellow and white pads, just clean them soon after using.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of my combos I use weekly:

Meguiars M205 + Meguiars Finishing Pad - cutting

Optimum Hyper Polish + orange optimum waffle pad - one step correction

HD Polish + black or green Buff N Shine foam - finishing polish or one step correction

HD Speed + green or black foam Buff N Shine pads - All In One polish
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me