autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reason I won't use a coating again

So, I jumped on the coating wagon to give it a try. It was applied 4 weeks ago on my pearl white Lexus. We had one snow fall and cold temps here in Wisconsin in the last 2 weeks, and some road salt applied to the roads. After 4 weeks of having the coating on I already have iron deposits forming on the paint.

I specifically coated hoping to prevent these iron deposits. In spring the car will once again be peppered withem and a full detail will be needed including Iron X, clay, etc. Water beading and hydrophobic properties are great, along with the gloss to the paint, but really no different than a paint sealant like WGPS or Collinite 845.

I'm finding there is no "magic pill" that will prevent the iron deposits in Wisconsin. I think the combination of cold weather with the hot brake dust and iron coming off in winter really makes the deposits bond to the clear coat. I may look into a different type material of brake pads.

In closing I got the results that I expected. I figured the deposits would still occur. I was just surprised at how fast. The coating worked well at rinsing off the majority of road salt with a pressure washer and looked clean after. However, once doing a RW with WG you could clearly see the layer of grime that was still left on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reason I won't use a coating again

For fun try applying a carnauba wax on half of the panel (where you get most of the iron deposits...Im thinking the trunk) and compare after a couple of months which side has less iron spots.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would help if you specified the type of coating, lots of people "coat" their rims to repel brake dust and that seems to work.

Post Thanks / Like

The downfall of light colored paint is the ability to see contamination. The trade off is that it is very difficult to see surface defects. So pros and cons to that paint color.

It seems your expectations were beyond what any product can do... particles will land on your car, particles will stick to your car, particles will need to be removed from your car... regardless of what has been applied.

As someone who has done a lot of coating testing over the past 4-5 years, I can personally say that the amount of bonded contaminates on a coated vehicle over time is much less than an uncoated vehicle based on my personal results. I wouldn't write off a coating just because it didnt prevent stuff from sticking to your paint. Remember, coatings provide a thicker, stronger, more durable barrier from the elements. The protection properties alone should be benefit enough for you to consider using coatings now and in the future. A little spot claying or IX treatment to remove some fallout is no real bother in the long run... if you never want to see it, buy a darker colored vehicle

Retired Professional Detailer

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    I'm finding there is no "magic pill" that will prevent the iron deposits in Wisconsin. I think the combination of cold weather with the hot brake dust and iron coming off in winter really makes the deposits bond to the clear coat. I may look into a different type material of brake pads.
    I agree 100%, but keep in mind that a coating is providing a sacrificial layer of protection (like a wax/sealant, but much harder and thicker) so the iron deposits / UV Rays / Etc do not cause harm to your clear coat. It may not be the "magic pill" that you're looking for, but the coating is providing much better protection than a wax or sealant would, especially for wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

When you say that the iron deposits are forming on the paint, do you mean that they penetrated the coating and therefore you have no more protection in that specific spot from it? If it went through to the paint, then yes that would seem like a waste. But at the end of the day if it's just stopping at the coating, it seems to be doing it's job. To me a coating is a longer lasting sacrificial layer than what a sealant or wax will provide IMO.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    When you say that the iron deposits are forming on the paint, do you mean that they penetrated the coating and therefore you have no more protection in that specific spot from it? If it went through to the paint, then yes that would seem like a waste. But at the end of the day if it's just stopping at the coating, it seems to be doing it's job.
    There is really no (reasonable) way to know what is happening at this scale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    There is really no (reasonable) way to know what is happening at this scale.
    Agreed that it wouldn't be an easy task to figure out exactly where the iron deposits were landing, but it could be done with the correct tool set in my mind if it was on hand.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Agreed that it wouldn't be an easy task to figure out exactly where the iron deposits were landing, but it could be done with the correct tool set in my mind if it was on hand.

A coating layer is ~1-2 micron thick........ unless you've got some pretty ridiculous equipment I don't see how anyone could determine where the paint ends, coating begins, and coating ends.... but perhaps that is a topic for another thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiousity, what coating g dod you use..just a consumer coatings through here?
    Prosumer elsewhere?

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast