autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reason I won't use a coating again

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    And pay for it? Every 6 months $800- $1500 to have it reapplied? That's the going rate for them around here. I think the dealership coatings are garbage and a waste of money. They probably have some high school kids applying them. It's all about commission and making money on the customer.

The last customer I had with the deposits had a brand new white Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. He paid $1200 and was guaranteed no maintenance by him or dealership for 5 years. When he went in and showed then the orange spots they quickly said they don't cover that..... It's a sham to get your money.
    No, in order to maintain the warranty, many of those programs require routine maintenance services that are usually included in the warranty program as far as I know... however most owners will not follow up with these, and therefore the warranty no longer applies.

As far as application, you're correct. I have talked to a few people who used to apply the Simoniz treatment to new cars at a couple local dealerships and the prep work was non-existent. I was even told that sometimes they would wax the car before applying Simoniz to make it shinier... yes, you read that right.

The reality is that it is easy to sell something to someone for "just $2 more on your monthly payment" and they will never think about it again. Most people will never follow up on warranty claims because they don't even know what the protection is supposed to do in the first place. Just taking advantage of uneducated car owners.... the 1% of car owners who want real products, real service, and real answers will seek out a true detailer for new car prep and protection.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, but...those dealership "coatings" are usually just a sealant and some fine print that you have to bring the vehicle back every 6 months or a year to essentially have the "coating" reapplied, in order to maintain the "5-year" guarantee.
    They push that to cover the cost of washing new car owners purchase for its long as they have it.Everycar that gets worked on as you know gets washed when it's repaired at a moderate busy dealer your talking 30 cars per day.its just a revenue stream for a dealer to bury the cost,the product is junk and for 7 bucks a month people will sign.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a coating and IMO it is a great product (Polish Angel). That being said, I went back to the sealant/wax method. IMO it is easier to correct if something goes wrong on your ride.

If both methods are used correctly, your ride looks awesome!! Only the nit pickers (me) can tell a slight difference! But still looks great!

Additionally, I enjoy the sealant/wax method as I enjoy detailing my ride. Great Stress relief.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    When you say that the iron deposits are forming on the paint, do you mean that they penetrated the coating and therefore you have no more protection in that specific spot from it? If it went through to the paint, then yes that would seem like a waste. But at the end of the day if it's just stopping at the coating, it seems to be doing it's job. To me a coating is a longer lasting sacrificial layer than what a sealant or wax will provide IMO.
    Hypothesis:

Is a Coating's/(sacrificial barrier's) ability
    to ward-off iron deposits (and possibly
    other contaminates, as well) from reaching
    the underlying paint inversely proportional
    to the thickness of said contaminates?

I've seen where it's been stated that
    Coatings are anywhere from only ~0.5
    microns to ~1.5-2.0 microns thick.

(To me)...It would then seem that:
    The thickness of the iron deposits would
    be a good starting point to determine if
    they would have a chance of penetrating
    Coatings. That...and how "hot" they are
    when they first make contact with the
    Coating; and/or even how "hot" they may
    become henceforward...IMO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you notice the contamination more easily after perfecting the paint? That's the downside to our obsession in reality.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post

A coating layer is ~1-2 micron thick........ unless you've got some pretty ridiculous equipment I don't see how anyone could determine where the paint ends, coating begins, and coating ends.... but perhaps that is a topic for another thread.
    This is an excellant graphic, thanks for sharing it. Now a question: How thick is a typical sealant? Is it less than the 1-2 Micron of coatings? Lastly, how many microns is the CC and BC?
    (Just wanting to put the facts into perspective) Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    ...and how "hot" they are
    when they first make contact with the
    Coating
    I have a hard time imagining that a tiny metal particle that has been airborne for some period of time has a temperature that much greater than the ambient due to the convective heat transfer.

I did not see if the OP mentions exactly what coating he used, but many manufacturers state their coatings are resistant to "high temperatures" FWIW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    This is an excellant graphic, thanks for sharing it. Now a question: How thick is a typical sealant? Is it less than the 1-2 Micron of coatings? Lastly, how many microns is the CC and BC?
    (Just wanting to put the facts into perspective) Thanks in advance
    I do not believe anyone (manufacturers) has been able to successfully measure the thickness of a sealant... coatings often boast a "measurable thickness" because there is relatively inexpensive instrumentation that can detect the addition of a coating layer.

Base coat and clear coat thicknesses will vary, but in general it is safe to say that the entire paint system (primer, base coat, clear coat) is quite thin on most vehicles. We use our paint thickness gauge to measure total film thickness on every vehicle, and over the years we have found newer cars tend to be in the low 100 micron range (again this includes primer, base and clear coats). Some are lower (as seen in the images above), some are higher.

Detailers with more advanced ultrasonic gauges can theoretically measure the thickness of individual layers.

I believe Mike Phillips has some articles floating around on here that discuss paint thickness in greater detail

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck brother! What coating did you go with?
    Mckee's 37

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    You wouldn't happen to work in MN would you? Someone in my office complex has a car exactly like yours and it's always super clean and they park in an end spot every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast