autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Q & A with Rob McCrary from SONAX about Rim Shield - Newest SONAX Product!

We're all ears when SONAX, one of Germany's largest and most respected manufacturers of car care products, introduces a new product. Late last year I got a sneak peek at Rim Shield, a high-tech polymer coating that blankets your vehicle's wheels in a glossy layer of protection that makes cleaning much easier. If this product sounds familiar, it's because you saw it on an episode of Competition Ready on Velocity Network.

Before we jump right in, what exactly is SONAX Rim Shield?

SONAX Rim Shield is best described as magic in a can! This high-tech polymer coating is a FAST and EASY way to protect your wheels against the damaging affects of brake dust, road grime, dirt and oil. By blanketing your wheels in a super slippery, self-cleaning coating, SONAX Rim Shield actually works to keep your wheels cleaner in between regular washes. Speaking of washes, all you need to clean wheels that have been coated with SONAX Rim Shield is a mild car wash detergent, such as SONAX Gloss Shampoo. Spray on and walk away!

I sat down (figuratively) with Rob McCrary, Managing Director for SONAX, and asked him a few questions about SONAX Rim Shield:

Nick: I’ve been fortunate enough to have been using SONAX Rim Shield for several months now, but for those that have NOT used Rim Shield, can you please explain how it differs from SONAX Polymer Net Shield?
    Rob: It is the same basic technology behind the two but the Wheel Rim Shield withstands the integrity of the product much better than Polymer Net Shield due to the heat of the rims/wheels. Polymer Net Shield is not designed for the extreme heat some wheels generate and begins to break down much quicker.

Nick: Approximately how many wheels will one can of Rim Shield coat?
    Rob: Germany was adamant that we put 12 rims on the label. My experience has been several more than that - maybe 20 or so.

Nick: What’s the expected durability of Rim Shield?
    Rob: 6 weeks but it is recommended to reapply with every wheel cleaning. When done this way, cleanings are much, much easier.

Nick: Can it hold up to strong wheel cleaners like SONAX Full Effect?
    Rob: Again, it is recommended to reapply after every wheel cleaning but can/will hold up again strong non-acid wheel cleaners. Obviously, acidic wheel cleaners will remove anything off of the wheel.

Nick: What’s the best way to maintain wheels that are coated with Rim Shield?
    Rob: SONAX Car Shampoo and water. If desired, either of the SONAX Wheel Cleaners can be used as well. A strong water source can also be used to remove break dust that has not attached to the wheel.

Nick: Last question: What was the biggest challenge in developing Rim Shield?
    Rob: From my understanding, developing something that did not need to be touched after applying was the difficult part of development. This allows for a safe and extremely easy application process unlike anything else on the market.

Thanks Rob!

Shop SONAX Rim Shield at Autogeek

Click HERE to read Mike's review/how-to of SONAX Rim Shield

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Q & A with Rob McCrary from SONAX about Rim Shield - Newest SONAX Product!

Thanks Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Wait, reapply after every cleaning, isn't that a bit excessive? I mean its probably a great product but I'd like to see how it does with the 6 week test, atleast 4 weeks.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

What if this were to be used on paint? It's more heat resistant and even easier to apply than PNS why not use it on paint as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
    What if this were to be used on paint? It's more heat resistant and even easier to apply than PNS why not use it on paint as well?
    That's the first thing I'm going to test! Thanks for the Q&A Nick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    We're all ears when SONAX, one of Germany's largest and most respected manufacturers of car care products, introduces a new product. Late last year I got a sneak peek at Rim Shield, a high-tech polymer coating that blankets your vehicle's wheels in a glossy layer of protection that makes cleaning much easier. If this product sounds familiar, it's because you saw it on an episode of Competition Ready on Velocity Network.

Before we jump right in, what exactly is SONAX Rim Shield?

SONAX Rim Shield is best described as magic in a can! This high-tech polymer coating is a FAST and EASY way to protect your wheels against the damaging affects of brake dust, road grime, dirt and oil. By blanketing your wheels in a super slippery, self-cleaning coating, SONAX Rim Shield actually works to keep your wheels cleaner in between regular washes. Speaking of washes, all you need to clean wheels that have been coated with SONAX Rim Shield is a mild car wash detergent, such as SONAX Gloss Shampoo. Spray on and walk away!

I sat down (figuratively) with Rob McCrary, Managing Director for SONAX, and asked him a few questions about SONAX Rim Shield:

Nick: I’ve been fortunate enough to have been using SONAX Rim Shield for several months now, but for those that have NOT used Rim Shield, can you please explain how it differs from SONAX Polymer Net Shield?
    Rob: It is the same basic technology behind the two but the Wheel Rim Shield withstands the integrity of the product much better than Polymer Net Shield due to the heat of the rims/wheels. Polymer Net Shield is not designed for the extreme heat some wheels generate and begins to break down much quicker.

Nick: Approximately how many wheels will one can of Rim Shield coat?
    Rob: Germany was adamant that we put 12 rims on the label. My experience has been several more than that - maybe 20 or so.

Nick: What’s the expected durability of Rim Shield?
    Rob: 6 weeks but it is recommended to reapply with every wheel cleaning. When done this way, cleanings are much, much easier.

Nick: Can it hold up to strong wheel cleaners like SONAX Full Effect?
    Rob: Again, it is recommended to reapply after every wheel cleaning but can/will hold up again strong non-acid wheel cleaners. Obviously, acidic wheel cleaners will remove anything off of the wheel.

Nick: What’s the best way to maintain wheels that are coated with Rim Shield?
    Rob: SONAX Car Shampoo and water. If desired, either of the SONAX Wheel Cleaners can be used as well. A strong water source can also be used to remove break dust that has not attached to the wheel.

Nick: Last question: What was the biggest challenge in developing Rim Shield?
    Rob: From my understanding, developing something that did not need to be touched after applying was the difficult part of development. This allows for a safe and extremely easy application process unlike anything else on the market.

Thanks Rob!

Shop SONAX Rim Shield at Autogeek

Click HERE to read Mike's review/how-to of SONAX Rim Shield

Yes, it looks like it is on the paint. Check out the overspray on that front fender. Typical aerosol can. Could be mistaken. Wheels are protected but now it's time to clean up the paint. No thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Wait, reapply after every cleaning, isn't that a bit excessive? I mean its probably a great product but I'd like to see how it does with the 6 week test, atleast 4 weeks.
    Thats what I was thinking. if you have to reapply with every wheel cleaning, doesnt that defeat the purpose of making cleaning easier and saving time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04accord View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. if you have to reapply with every wheel cleaning, doesnt that defeat the purpose of making cleaning easier and saving time?
    That stood out to me as well.

Another thing that doesn't seem to make sense to me is the method of application. I can't see simply spraying on the product and walking away being very effective. The faces would get coated pretty well, but areas between the spokes would be uneven and the barrels would would almost impossible to reach unless the wheels came off the vehicle. At least with a wipe-on product, you can get into the hard to reach areas with your hands to ensure good coverage. I'd be a little worried about hitting the brake rotors too with overspray, although that would quickly be rubbed out after applying the brakes a couple times.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Let's point out the obvious:

1. SONAX wants to sell product. Of course they're going to endorse using it often.
    2. SONAX wants Rim Shield to offer the BEST performance. Re-applying often will ensure exactly that.

I personally think SONAX is being very conservative with their durability estimates. When Rob was nice enough to hook me up with a can last fall, I tested it out on my WRX and it held up way longer than their estimate of 6 weeks. Germans are often conservative with ratings (just look at AMG with their power ratings).

Quote Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
    Try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    That's the first thing I'm going to test! Thanks for the Q&A Nick.
    Looking forward to your testing.

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Yes, it looks like it is on the paint. Check out the overspray on that front fender. Typical aerosol can. Could be mistaken. Wheels are protected but now it's time to clean up the paint. No thanks.
    That's not over spray from Rim Shield, it's water from when the wheel was rinsed. It was easily 90 degrees the day Mike and I cleaned that wheel. We did it in a hurry.

If over spray DOES occur, it wipes right off - no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by 04accord View Post
    Frequent car care is easy car care. How many of us (I'm guilty) apply a spray wax after every wash? Not always necessary, but man it sure makes the paint look glossy and it keeps it cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    That stood out to me as well.

Another thing that doesn't seem to make sense to me is the method of application. I can't see simply spraying on the product and walking away being very effective. The faces would get coated pretty well, but areas between the spokes would be uneven and the barrels would would almost impossible to reach unless the wheels came off the vehicle. At least with a wipe-on product, you can get into the hard to reach areas with your hands to ensure good coverage. I'd be a little worried about hitting the brake rotors too with overspray, although that would quickly be rubbed out after applying the brakes a couple times.
    SONAX took that into consideration during the development of Rim Shield. The spray pattern is very precise, making it extremely easy to get in between spokes and the barrel itself (some wheel designs restrict this obviously).

I too was concerned about over spray on the brake rotors, but SONAX assured me it would be okay. They're a reputable company that makes top-notch products, so I applied Rim Shield with confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Well FWIW I ordered some of this today, took advantage of the $5.00 shipping. I will do a review of this product for sure and clean the wheels properly and then apply the product, per the directions and see how it goes. I do clean my car often but only use the Meg's Mirror Brite or DUB when the wheels are really bad, usually just use CG's Diablo.

The real test for this product will be when I go to the Dragon in Oct! I will clean the wheels a couple days before and we'll see what's what. If this product is all that, it will be stated in my thread for the review but there will be quite some time inbetween the initial review and the 1500 mile to and from the Dragon review.

Looking forward to trying out this product, thanks for the $5.00 shipping AG.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast