autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quik question about Mckee's Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I'm not surprised to see this.

Essence was developed by CarPro for CarPro coatings. While some have successfully used Essence with other manufacturer's coatings, I've personally haven't had much luck using it with McKee's 37.

I would re-polish the area and apply McKee's 37 Paint Coating per the directions on the bottle.
    What about essence plus after Mckees with the intended purpose of filling in slight swirls?

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    What about essence plus after Mckees with the intended purpose of filling in slight swirls?
    I haven't tested it yet. Try it out and let us know how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Essence was developed by CarPro for CarPro coatings. While some have successfully used Essence with other manufacturer's coatings, I've personally haven't had much luck using it with McKee's 37.

I would re-polish the area and apply McKee's 37 Paint Coating per the directions on the bottle.
    Eldorado2k I have a bottle of DP Coating Prep Polish if you want it. It's the same thing as the McKee's prep polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Just browsed this thread briefly.

What was the root cause the cure time before topping + or that and non SIO topper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Eldorado2k I have a bottle of DP Coating Prep Polish if you want it. It's the same thing as the McKee's prep polish.
    That would be awesome. I appreciate the offer, I'll send you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quik question about Mckee's Paint Coating

Yup, I completely agree. It wasn't hard for me to get over any momentary frustration and come to the same conclusion because I'm usually a follow the exact directions type of person, it's the best way to avoid any unexpected surprises.

And thanks to the Guz, I now have the proper prep polish [after I go ahead and do a quik machine polish with a normL polish]

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Just browsed this thread briefly.

What was the root cause the cure time before topping + or that and non SIO topper
    I didn't use any toppers..

The only thing I can think of is maybe I somehow didn't do a complete thorough job of wiping the Essence off due to it getting a bit dark on me [but that's still a slim chance because I did a close inspection with my led light prior to applying to ensure it was completely clean]

Another weird thing I noticed was just seconds after wiping the Mckee's coating onto the paint [with a brand new foam applicator] it began to turn somewhat yellow in color and was streaky, I figured that was just normL and simply buffed the yellow streaks away with the microfiber towel. 1 thing I know for sure is it definitely didn't apply clear like in the Mckee's video.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Time flew by last night when you stopped by to pick up the prep polish. And we got to see Santa haha.

You could do a test on the trunk with one side that has essence topped with McKee's coating. But this time give it an IPA wipe to remove any residual oils from essence. The DP coating prep polish should work as it is non-abrasive and would only remove the oils and not the SiO2 left by essence. At least that it what I think. Hopefully you did not get a bad batch of McKee's coating.

The other half of the trunk would be the DP prep polish followed by McKee's. I would do this on the hood as well.

Let me know how things turn out once you get a chance to do this.

Post Thanks / Like

IPA or a paint prep spray will not remove the sio2 fillers in essence. Corey from carpro tested it out when he first used essence to see. After you use essence, whatever is on there is on there until you use an abrasive to get it off. That being said, I know there's a guy on here who used essence with mckee on his black audi and his results were great. What I would try is repolish with essence and wipe it off carefully and then letting essence cure before the coating. It seems the solvents in the coating might be smearing uncured essence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    IPA or a paint prep spray will not remove the sio2 fillers in essence. Corey from carpro tested it out when he first used essence to see. After you use essence, whatever is on there is on there until you use an abrasive to get it off. That being said, I know there's a guy on here who used essence with mckee on his black audi and his results were great. What I would try is repolish with essence and wipe it off carefully and then letting essence cure before the coating. It seems the solvents in the coating might be smearing uncured essence.
    Correct and we can all agree on the SiO2 not being removed with IPA and/or a prep spray. But a prep wipe will remove the residual oils from the product given it is a polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm definitely not against a prep wipe anytime a coating is used. In fact I'd say do two prep wipes just to make sure. I'm just suggesting essence be treated like a mini coating in the sense where let it cure before you put another coating on.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast