autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable 7424xp problems?

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    If I have to try correcting with a PC, I always put it on 6 and not a lot of pressure to allow it to keep rotating. If I'm just doing a final polish, I don't worry about it spinning. I use mostly hexalogic pads, so the edge isn't smooth and easy to see if is spinning so I've never bothered to mark them, and my backing plate has seen a lot of use so has enough markings on it to see if it's spinning. I have a Flex now that I use most of the time so I don't even bother trying to do any correcting with the PC, which actually sounds like is about to blow up now. It's about 3 years old, but hasn't been put to full time use so I would have expected it to last longer. But now it's making a lot of clacking noises inside, which is why I upgraded.
    The one major dislike with the PC7424XP, was they created a speed dial with no detent at speed 5.5. This may have been the "sweet spot" for this machine, not only so much for correction, but the PC really makes a hell of a lot of noise on speed 6! I ran it once like this, and seriously considered hearing protection.

Maybe one day I'll graduate. Perhaps the Griots Boss, or the Flex free spinning DA? Some might say, why mess around, go for the Flex 3401 and be done with it!

Post Thanks / Like

The best performance I got out of my PCXP was using the Meguiar's microfiber pads. The thin pads really help the machine out. They have since come to the market with thin foam pads. I haven't bought any of these, but they seem to aid in reducing the bogging down/stalling issue.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, compounding discs, cutting pads

Meguiars DA Microfiber Finishing Discs, finishing pads, wax pads

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 Inch
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Also, here's a good, short write up from Mike: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I wouldn't say using the handle does more harm than good, in the sense that it's not going to add any considerable weight to the machine, and be the cause of bogging.

I use the PC both ways, with and without handle. I feel at times, the handle can give a little better control of the machine, usually on horizontal surfaces, offers a better hold, and can help at times with insuring you're running the pads flat to the panel surface. We PC owners all know how sensitive a machine like the PC can be with a Pad ever so slightly canted against the body panels.
    Some new to machine polishing tend to put a little extra preasure on the handle, at least that's been my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post
    The best performance I got out of my PCXP was using the Meguiar's microfiber pads.
    I've also had great luck with the Meguiars MF pads using my PC. I picked up the 5 inch kit to do some work on my Chevelle. (There is also a 6 inch kit available.) I'll be posting pictures of the results in this thread.
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123