autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with cloth seats

Hi all,

So two weekends ago I thought I would clean my seats. Picked up some Scotch Guard, sprayed onto the seats, scrubbed it in with a soft brush and wiped clean. Except the spots I sprayed are embedded onto the seats. It's had plenty of time to dry. I even sprayed some Folex and tried wiping it off hoping it would dissolves the streaks left behind by the scotch guard. No luck. I know now that I shouldn't have sprayed it directly onto the seats, but it's done now. How do I get this out???

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with cloth seats

Isn't Scotch Guard a protector and not a cleaner? A steamer might help.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you made a mistake. The scotch guard is "step 2" after cleaning them with an APC or fabric cleaner.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Yeah, you made a mistake. The scotch guard is "step 2" after cleaning them with an APC or fabric cleaner.
    The scotch guard I used is actually a cleaner, not the protector. So I figured it would be safe to use on the seats and upholstery, which it's intended for. But it left behind streaks that I can't remove. I guess I can try a steamer.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adoomy View Post
    Hi all,

So two weekends ago I thought I would clean my seats. Picked up some Scotch Guard, sprayed onto the seats, scrubbed it in with a soft brush and wiped clean. Except the spots I sprayed are embedded onto the seats. It's had plenty of time to dry. I even sprayed some Folex and tried wiping it off hoping it would dissolves the streaks left behind by the scotch guard. No luck. I know now that I shouldn't have sprayed it directly onto the seats, but it's done now. How do I get this out???

Thanks!

You didn't mess up by spraying directly on the seats, that's what you're supposed to do... What kind of Scotchgard cleaner did you use? Something like this?

I'm not sure how that could've resulted in streaking on cloth seats... As far as the Folex, it should work as long as you use as directed. Did you spray, rub in with your fingers and then wipe up with a terry towel? Always works for me.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm..... I've heard of the scotch guard cleaner just plain not working, but, never streaking. Would be interested in seeing pictures. My best suggestion would be rent an extractor.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You didn't mess up by spraying directly on the seats, that's what you're supposed to do... What kind of Scotchgard cleaner did you use? Something like this?

Sent from my iPhone
    Yes!! That is exactly what I used. See the picture attached. When I used the Folex, I followed the instructions exactly and it only looks a little better than shown in the attached pic. The car is a 2012 chevy Cruze in case it matters.

Thanks for your suggestions thus far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with cloth seats-20161115_075258-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adoomy View Post
    Yes!! That is exactly what I used. See the picture attached. When I used the Folex, I followed the instructions exactly and it only looks a little better than shown in the attached pic. The car is a 2012 chevy Cruze in case it matters.

Thanks for your suggestions thus far!
    For what it's worth, that particular Scotchgard cleaner works like crap. I'm pretty sure you know that by now. Lol. I've got 4 cans of it collecting dust and I'll probably never use it again. [I should've bought plain Scotchgard instead]

Only thing I can think of is maybe the Scotchgard left a barrier of protection that's preventing the other cleaner from being able to get to the stain... It may sound crazy but I've experienced what I believe is that exact same thing happen before after Scotchgard.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

From the best I can tell it looks almost "water stained". Is there a 'dirty' ring surrounding the discoloration? Perhaps the "protectant" darkened the fabric. You could try using the product again on a inconspicuous area, if you get the same discoloration.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UTdetailing View Post
    From the best I can tell it looks almost "water stained". Is there a 'dirty' ring surrounding the discoloration? Perhaps the "protectant" darkened the fabric. You could try using the product again on a inconspicuous area, if you get the same discoloration.
    Hi UT,

I did indeed try it on my wife's beige interior, and it did the same. I suspect the protectant component of the cleaner did in fact darken the fabric. Would some soap and water followed by vacuuming and perhaps some Folex help? I haven't tried using a soapy solution, I need to somehow remove or rinse off the protectant and then clean off the water spots. Or maybe try something else lol. The worst part is it's on the passenger seat so I see it all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast