autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax can't get below freezing?

I was browsing the Collinite website and came across a note (on their page for 845, on their notes on page 4, for this product: http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uplo...Tech845pdf.pdf), that it should be discarded if it gets below freezing.

This surprised me, as I had never come across this info before. I have always kept my waxes in my garage. In the winters, it does occasionally get to the high 20s, but that is only the coldest nights of the year--and that is outside, not inside the garage. Anyways, I'm wondering if any of you have come across this advice before, or if you have kept your wax in rooms (or outside) where it got below freezing---and what the affect was.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax can't get below freezing?

When paste waxes freeze, the water in them turns to ice and the wax breaks in to chunks.

We recommend our paste product be keep from freezing, also. Many liquids can be thawed and shaken, but a paste can't, obviously.

I'd suggest you bring all of your detailing products inside once the temperature gets close to freezing.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I can see why then, Collinite says to keep 845 out of freezing temperatures--it is a paste if anything ever was.

Thanks for the input.

Have you thought of getting a Mother's sub-forum here at AG? Earlier today I sent an email to your tech support (email addy taken from your website) w/ a few questions, but I'm not ever sure that an email will get answered.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Earlier today I sent an email to your tech support (email addy taken from your website) w/ a few questions, but I'm not ever sure that an email will get answered.
    Emails do get answered. I'll see what's up with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    Emails do get answered. I'll see what's up with them.
    Great. My complaint wasn't about your site specifically--this was my first email. Its just in general, whenever I email a company.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Great. My complaint wasn't about your site specifically--this was my first email. Its just in general, whenever I email a company.

Just got to my hotel. It looks like you emailed us at 1:14pm Cali time on Wednesday, after our office closed for Thanksgiving. Jimmy D replied Friday morning 10:39 Cali time. I think that's a decent reply time given the office closure and the holiday.

I hope he answered the questions to your satisfaction. We try hard to respond within 24 hours, but sometimes holidays get in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I can see why then, Collinite says to keep 845 out of freezing temperatures--it is a paste if anything ever was.
    Yeah...845 isn't what we'd consider a paste wax. Some liquid "waxes", polishes, QD's etc. are damaged by freezing. I think it's something related to why James Bond wanted his martini shaken, not stirred...it bruises the alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got to my hotel. It looks like you emailed us at 1:14pm Cali time on Wednesday, after our office closed for Thanksgiving. Jimmy D replied Friday morning 10:39 Cali time. I think that's a decent reply time given the office closure and the holiday.

I hope he answered the questions to your satisfaction. We try hard to respond within 24 hours, but sometimes holidays get in the way.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah...845 isn't what we'd consider a paste wax.
    You're welcome to that opinion, I just remember contacting customer service because this bottle of what I though was liquid wax was not pushing out anything onto the applicator pad. Then I read that you needed to shake it considerably, or put it in a pan of hot water, if you wanted it to be thinner. It's got to be the thickest wax ever to come out of a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he answered the questions very well. A two day turnaround is very good, considering this was over Thanksgiving. Agreed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast