autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter washing

Post Thanks / Like

Winter washing

Hey guys, winter is here and temps are at freezing. Obviously I can no longer wash my cars as the water will just freeze within seconds of being on the car. I haven't tried waterless rinse, is it effective at removing dirty cars from snow and such? Or should I stick to the traditional touchless carwash?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter washing

Whats a waterless rinse...how does that work???

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in the snow belt, stick with touchless washes as a rinseless wash will not be effective for safely removing sand and salt from your vehicles paint. Last thing you want to do is grind abraisives into your paint. And although touchless washes aren't going to yield a truly clean looking surface you can at least rest easy knowing that the bulk of the salt and sand have been rinsed off until a warmer winter day comes along and you can safely rinse and hand wash your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    If you are in the snow belt, stick with touchless washes as a rinseless wash will not be effective for safely removing sand and salt from your vehicles paint. Last thing you want to do is grind abraisives into your paint. And although touchless washes aren't going to yield a truly clean looking surface you can at least rest easy knowing that the bulk of the salt and sand have been rinsed off until a warmer winter day comes along and you can safely rinse and hand wash your paint.
    this...

Post Thanks / Like

Amen.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a garage?

If so hit the touchless then do a rinseless at home.

If not, on warmer days use the spray wash bays and rinseless there if you can get away with it.

Post Thanks / Like

OT, but what are ya'll soaps for pre-cleaning.

I'm always on the hunt for the mother of all soaps to foam lance - rinse and be clean enough that I will just *blow dry with*. Yes, maybe some dirt may remain, but I'm trying to keep it touchless - aka, no towel or mitt during wash or dry process.

My current winter routine is double Reset washes. First lance/rinse. Then lance again, and wash...

It get's sorta pointless as it get's just as dirty as the salt laden roads don't really clean up until late winter/spring, so slows of blowby of salt mist , regardless of how well one cleans...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    Perfect answer.

Even with a black car, I just live with the fact my car will not be totally clean during the winter. It just makes me appreciate Spring that much more when I can hand wash my car once again.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless is fine in winter so long as you blast off the heavy chunks and muck. I've done my S4 a Minivan without issue. Key is technique. I use a modified version of Gary Dean's MF Towel method and it works and haven't introduced any scratches or marring. I wouldn't do waterless unless the car is just dusty or has simply been in a light rain.

Here's an example of even a dirty car that worked out well. I use Wolfgang Uber and 16x16 480gsm Eagle Edgeless MF Rags.

Presoaking the car prior to washing.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't stress too much even if you were to introduce any minor marks as if you're careful a simple light polish in spring will take care of them.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast