autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Did my first oil change today! Pics

I'm quite proud of myself. I'll be doing this from now on. This is also the first oil change on my new engine. The original got recalled at 62,000 miles.

\

I bought the ramps and everything.

I'm so happy I don't have to deal with jiffy lube or the dealership and their cheap oil anymore.

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes Paul A., Frank70 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did my first oil change today! Pics

It's a great feeling doing it yourself at cost, isn't it? DAMN, look at that paint shine!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. Did you rotate the tires? That should be done about every 7,500 miles or so.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

It's always nice to do things yourself. You know exactly what you are getting. Plus oil changes are so easy to do, and used oil can go right to autozone. The van is looking good too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good job. Royal Purple is probably a bit overkill pricewise. My girlfriend has a Sorrento for a daily driver. I just grab a 5qt jug of Moibil1 at WalMart and it takes the whole thing when I change her oil and I find there's no real need for the Rhino Ramps. You can easily access the filter and drain plug just laying on the ground

PS: Yours looks better.

7. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

I do my as much mechanic work as possible on my vehicles. I've had my car come back jacked up too many times from the local service station.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal! It is a great feeling to know that you did it yourself! Well done!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of doing oil changes myself on my Kia Rio but after watching a video about it, there is a plastic shroud under the engine that needs to be removed to access the drain plug and oil filter. There are like 20 screws holding it in. The thought of having to deal with that lying on the ground made me decide to spend the extra 10$ and have my local garage do it The one reason I wanted to do it myself is that as the control freak I am, I could choose the best oil filter and oil for my engine. I know the local garage is not gonna use an expensive filter and they are using Castrol oil that may or may not be good stuff... I wanted to go synthetic but it costs like 90$ so I decided against it since I put very little miles on the car and have to change the oil every 6 months anyway because of the warranty requirements.

11. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I was thinking of doing oil changes myself on my Kia Rio but after watching a video about it, there is a plastic shroud under the engine that needs to be removed to access the drain plug and oil filter. There are like 20 screws holding it in. The thought of having to deal with that lying on the ground made me decide to spend the extra 10$ and have my local garage do it The one reason I wanted to do it myself is that as the control freak I am, I could choose the best oil filter and oil for my engine. I know the local garage is not gonna use an expensive filter and they are using Castrol oil that may or may not be good stuff... I wanted to go synthetic but it costs like 90$ so I decided against it since I put very little miles on the car and have to change the oil every 6 months anyway because of the warranty requirements.
    Yeah, that can be a pain. For the record, Castol is a quality product, as are all modern motor oils, the rest is marketing hype. What kind of warranty do you have that says you have to change the oil every six months? What if a person drives 40,000 miles a year, I know many people who do. That would be an oil change every 20,000 miles. Oil changes should be based upon miles driven. If my GC is 6 years old but only has 10,400 miles on it how many times should I have changed the oil in 6 years? Answer twice.

How Long Does Your Oil Last In Your Car
    The other nuance concerns how long your oil is good for in your engine - how long it "lasts" in your car. Again, this is situation-dependent, because driving conditions are the biggest determiner of how long oil lasts in your engine. That doesn’t mean you need to change your oil after 3000 miles on the clock. The best answer to this question is found in your vehicle’s owner’s manual. The most common answer to the oil change interval question is 7,000 miles. This goes down to 5,000 miles if you fall under the “severe driving conditions” – lot of short trips, very hot or very cold driving conditions, very dusty conditions. Your vehicle owner’s manual will give you the right answer to this question.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

13. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    It's a great feeling doing it yourself at cost, isn't it? DAMN, look at that paint shine!
    Thanks man, feels good

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Nice job. Did you rotate the tires? That should be done about every 7,500 miles or so.
    I didn't but the tires are pretty new. Less then 7500 I think, probably like 5000 miles on them. Do you just rotate all 4 tires? Next I'm going to do breaks and rotors

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Good job. Royal Purple is probably a bit overkill pricewise. My girlfriend has a Sorrento for a daily driver. I just grab a 5qt jug of Moibil1 at WalMart and it takes the whole thing when I change her oil and I find there's no real need for the Rhino Ramps. You can easily access the filter and drain plug just laying on the ground

PS: Yours looks better.
    Thanks, I couldn't really fit under there plus I already had the creeper. The heavy duty ones were only 50 bucks. I could of got the next size down for 40. Watching a video I thought I was going to have to take the whole shroud off.

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    You should actually check that. I watched a video and thought mine had the same shroud. It does but there are access holes in mine that weren't in the video.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast