autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cars with satin black wheels/powder coated (black)..

Do you guys charge more for cars that have these wheels? I spend about an hour to clean the wheels fully, especially the ones that do not have a coating on it and feels sandy on touch. Just recently did a BMW m4 2015 with OZ satin black finish wheels. After cleaning the wheels, the wheels still look dirty even when it is clean. Talked to the owner and he said he bought the car used with the wheels. I guess the previous owner or detailer did not use the right chemicals and tools to clean the wheels since it has a lot of streaking, spots, fading, and spot failing. Even after cleaning the wheels, when I pull the car out of the garage, the wheels are sprinkled with orange brake dust and looks a bit dirty. Am I doing something wrong here or is this normal? I would usually clean the brake dust off with Dr beasleys.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cars with satin black wheels/powder coated (black)..

I've noticed my matte powdercoated Method Race wheels always seem to look dirty. The matte finish seems to hold crap better. Mine are coated with PBL, but it only helps so much on matte finished wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Matte black wheels are impossible to keep immaculate. They will eventually take on whitish or brownish stains from brake dust or other random contaminates. My car has matte black wheels that i may refinish eventually, they're far from perfect. Even when cleaning with something really strong like Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, there's still some slight brownish brake dust stains on the matte surfaces. You need to dress a matte black wheel to make them pop. It gives a matte black wheel a very nice satin finish. I recommend Meguiar's D4510 or Adam's In & Out (expensive for what you get). I have a case of Stoner Trim Shine that i'll be trying soon as well.

Here's a pic of the wheel that's cleaned and dressed:

Cars with satin black wheels/powder coated (black)..-img_1964-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    I've noticed my matte powdercoated Method Race wheels always seem to look dirty. The matte finish seems to hold crap better. Mine are coated with PBL, but it only helps so much on matte finished wheels.
    When I detail cars with satin black finishes (uncoated), looks clean until I pull it out of the garage. Pressing on the brakes releases orange brake dust, making it look dirty again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    Matte black wheels are impossible to keep immaculate. They will eventually take on whitish or brownish stains from brake dust or other random contaminates. My car has matte black wheels that i may refinish eventually, they're far from perfect. Even when cleaning with something really strong like Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, there's still some slight brownish brake dust stains on the matte surfaces. You need to dress a matte black wheel to make them pop. It gives a matte black wheel a very nice satin finish. I recommend Meguiar's D4510 or Adam's In & Out (expensive for what you get). I have a case of Stoner Trim Shine that i'll be trying soon as well.

Here's a pic of the wheel that's cleaned and dressed:

Cars with satin black wheels/powder coated (black)..-img_1964-jpg
    I will try your products. Is your wheels coated or uncoated?

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a set of matte black Method Race wheels on my tundra with 35's and Hawk pads. If I don't wash them for a month or so my routine is this.
    -1st wash with Megs d143
    -2nd wash with IronX gel (I apply directly to wool 4finger wash mitt and really work it in)
    -seal with Hydr02 (gives that nice satin look)
    Now they are going on 4 years old and do have some very minor brown stains but it's not noticeable unless
    you're right up on the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Sam View Post
    I will try your products. Is your wheels coated or uncoated?
    Uncoated. I'm planning to coat the wheel, not just yet though since i am considering refinishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I also have a set of matte black Method Race wheels on my tundra with 35's and Hawk pads. If I don't wash them for a month or so my routine is this.
    -1st wash with Megs d143
    -2nd wash with IronX gel (I apply directly to wool 4finger wash mitt and really work it in)
    -seal with Hydr02 (gives that nice satin look)
    Now they are going on 4 years old and do have some very minor brown stains but it's not noticeable unless
    you're right up on the wheel.
    I never use any iron x products on the wheels, just mild products like CG matte auto wash. Wouldn't iron x or the gel cause reaction on these types of wheels? I have hydro02 that I have not used for a long time, maybe I will give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    Uncoated. I'm planning to coat the wheel, not just yet though since i am considering refinishing.
    Get it coated, I hate working on uncoated satin matte wheels! BTW what model Porsche is that on your profile picture?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Sam View Post
    I never use any iron x products on the wheels, just mild products like CG matte auto wash. Wouldn't iron x or the gel cause reaction on these types of wheels? I have hydro02 that I have not used for a long time, maybe I will give it a try!
    I have been using ironX gel on my wheels and a set on a buddy's truck for years and have had Zero issues.