autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel and tire brush maybe?

Im on the last part of this week long journey to pick my products. I have seen people use a brush for the wheel but am not sure as to why. Do i need one, idk?

Im planning on using Megs D143 cleaner and PERL for my tires. Could you please suggest a brush for my wheels maybe an interior brush (is this just used to remove the dust). I saw the wheel woolie set but dont think they are needed for my wheels.

Wheel and tire brush maybe?-15588783282_fb0793e475_b-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel and tire brush maybe?

IMO you're going to need some sort of brush to scrub your tires. If you aren't going to use a brush on the wheels, what do you intend to use?

When I sit down on my rolly chair to clean a wheel/tire, I usually have an assortment of brushes, wands, woolies, etc. to hit specific parts of the wheel, but if I'm doing a thorough job I'm cleaning the barrels and the backs of the spokes, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. i have an assortment of "tools" in my rinse bucket and 3 are brushes. A round 1" paint brush for lug nuts, a stiffer bristled nylon brush (old Meg's brush) for tire sidewalls and a wheel woolie or EZ Detail brush for inner barrels ( depending on caliper clearance). I use my dedicated MF wheel wash mitt for the faces but most times use the round lug nut brush for getting into the corners of wheel faces, spokes, valve stems etc.

I also use either my wheel Woolies or EZ Detail brush for wheel wells most times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    When I sit down on my rolly chair to clean a wheel/tire, I usually have an assortment of brushes, wands, woolies, etc. to hit specific parts of the wheel, but if I'm doing a thorough job I'm cleaning the barrels and the backs of the spokes, too.
    I'm the same way, but without the rolly chair. I really should get one as concrete is really hard on the knees.

I go into wheel cleaning with a brush for the wheel faces, one for the barrels and tight areas, and one for the tires themselves. Until last week's sale when I added the Speedmaster to my arsenal, I was only using two brushes. Here is what I'm using:

Mothers Wheel Brush This one is really soft and works great on front facing surfaces of the wheels.

Mothers Brake Dust Brush My brush is an exact replica from a big-box store, but I've also used this one too. It works great on barrels, but is really too short for most wheels these days, and I also have issues getting it between the calipers and the wheels on some vehicles. I now use it to scrub tires, and found it be excellent in this function.

Speed Master Wheel Brush My new weapon of choice for barrels and hard to reach areas. After years of reading about this tool, I finally broke down and bough one.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

The brushes really help for the hard to reach spots like the barrels. They also help if the wheels have been neglected for some extra agitation.

If they are nice and new and you keep up with them you might be able to get by with out them just using a dedicated mitt and some microfiber towels.

I've been maintaining the wheels on a customers new Escalade and Chevy pickup Rough Country edition with just rinseless wash and and a mitt. That includes cleaning the barrels with my mitt. I throw a mat down, climb under the truck/SUV, and do the barrels from the back with the mitt.

The big wheel woolly should work for those if you don't want to lay on the ground to get to them, or if you cannot get hand in there from the front.

Some use a 1" detail brush for the tighter spots on the faces. I just buy 1" round paint brushes.

For tires, most any stiffer hand held scrub brushes will do.

Like above, the big wollie works pretty well for doing wheel wells too.

Post Thanks / Like

Me cleaning the wheels from the back.

Sorry, they're all upside down.

Wheel and tire brush maybe?-img_9901-jpg
    Wheel and tire brush maybe?-img_9900-jpg
    Wheel and tire brush maybe?-img_9287-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I like the MF towel or mitt idea since my wheesl are new but i guess ill get a speed master brush (wow $$$) and a mothers wheel brush for the front of the wheel. Also, a 1" round paint brush like mantilgh and puckman suggest.

Now only a tire brush. Any suggestions other than puckman old nylon stiff brush?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a dedicated MF mitt, bought right here at AG, I have it in black so I will never use it on paint

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Consoleman View Post
    ... i guess ill get a speed master brush (wow $$$)...
    I felt the same way, but last week there was a 25% off sale, which made the price a little more tolerable. Sales seem to happen pretty frequently here and I bet there will be a good one around Black Friday. You just need to keep an eye out for the really good ones.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast