autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate compound/polish vs color x

Hello,

i will be detailing my brothers car this weekend. Car is in great shape, has very few swirl marks. He wants something simple so I was going to use color x topped with ultimate wax or ultimate polish with ultimate wax. Am I better off using the polish in place of color x? If so, is there a polish that is a little stronger then ultimate polish? I will be claying the car also.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultimate compound/polish vs color x

If it was me I'd go with the Ultimate Polish + Wax instead of the Color X + Wax. Reason being is they recommend a 24hr. cure time before you top Color X with another layer of protection. Of course it's all up to you whether you follow the recommended directions to the T..

You say the paint only has minor swirls, so the Ultimate Polish should suffice. If you need a bit more punch you can always step up your choice of pad from a polishing pad to a light cutting pad [orange]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

+

OR
    +

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to chart that has in order of aggressiveness.

UPDATED 9/2015: Autopia Polish Comparison Chart

If it really is in great shape then a polish would probably do it, but this may depend on how hard or soft the paint is.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I've never used the Ultimate Polish. I have used several bottles of the Ultimate Compound though. That stuff has been awesome for me. I've done a lot of cars with the compound and Ultimate Liquid Wax and been very pleased with the results. Absolutely zero complaints. I don't know that I've ever done a customer car that only has 'a few small swirls'. That's more like the description of a car that was polished a month ago. I'm sure there is a use for the polish, but if I have to clay the car before working on it then it is most likely going to benefit more from the compound than the polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the Ultimate Compound more than the Polish.

Never used the Color X so not much help with a comparison.

What I like about the Ultimate Compound is it's available over the counter, zero dusting and the final finish can be adjusted by pad selection.

It also works well by hand for correcting small spots.

I have used 2 bottles of compound, and only 1/4 of the first bottle of polish.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I use UP more than the UC. Works great with microfiber pads if more correction is needed, and foam polishing pads for more gloss.

When I need mid to heavy correction, Ultimate Compound is one of my favorites.

Anyways, I like Visitor's suggestion. Typically more work will be done using the smat abrasives in Ultimate Polish, and finishing with Ultimate Wax

Post Thanks / Like

M205 + Ultimate Wax has rarely failed me. I believe (I'm sure someone else Knows) Ultimate polish is the retail equivalent of 205, but breaks down easier under hand or random orbital application.

Post Thanks / Like

To the op. If your brother just wants a quick job with little to no correction then use colorx as it is an all in one followed by ultimate quik wax. ColorX does it's cleaning by chemical action unlike a ultimate polish which contains abrasives.

If you are looking to do more correction then use ultimate polish followed by ultimate wax. Basically what VISITOR said.

A stronger polish while still staying in the Meguiar's line is M205.

Quote Originally Posted by UTdetailing View Post
    M205 + Ultimate Wax has rarely failed me. I believe (I'm sure someone else Knows) Ultimate polish is the retail equivalent of 205, but breaks down easier under hand or random orbital application.
    It's close. It is derived from M205. It has more polishing oils and less of the abrasive loads found in M205.