autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Semi tractor backed into me! My paint is thin, photos to prove it.

Took my Toyota Sienna to the local Walmart a week ago. I see a large, newer semi tractor (no trailer) parked perpendicular to the parking lines. The semi is parked facing toward the store. At the time thinking the semi will drive forward I park three stalls behind the semi. Leaving approximately 25-30 feet between me and the rear of the semi's bumper.

Long story short, I come out of Walmart to see my right rear bumper caved-in, the bumper cover detached from the clips, and a little crease in the light gate. I see the semi tractor parked where I thought it was parked when I parked/entered the store 30 minutes earlier. I see no other cars around my Sienna. I immediately think hit and run crash. I get out my cell phone and as I turn around to scan around the parking lot I see a gentleman walking towards me. It was the owner/operator of the semi, he had gone inside to find out who's Sienna he had hit. Yep, that is me. He tells me he was inside the cab getting ready to leave. The semi was in neutral and was parked on the slightest of declines. He was looking down at something in his cab and the semi started rolling downhill towards my Sienna. He didn't realize he was rolling backwards until he felt the impact with my Sienna. We exchanged info and the Sienna is getting fixed on the trucking company's dime.

I noticed the paint on the lift gate of my Sienna lifted perfectly clean from the metal in a sheet. I snapped a couple of photos with a dime and penny as guides to show just how thin our automotive paint is.

Here is a photo of the damage:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a photo of the edge of the paint compared to a penny. Just to give you an idea of how thin the paint is. A penny is 1.52 mm or 1,520 microns in thickness.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a photo of the edge of the paint compared to a dime. Just to give you an idea of how thin the paint is. A dime is 1.35 mm or 1,350 microns in thickness.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm guessing my paint thickness is in the 100-150 micron thickness. I always knew paint was thin, and Mike has always preached the same. This damage to my vehicle really opened my eyes to just how thin my paint really was/is.

2. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Semi tractor backed into me! My paint is thin, photos to prove it.

That sucks!!!!!!!

Good of you to use your unfortunate encounter for a lesson though. Paint is thin. Clear coat even thinner.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.