autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using the Big Red Sponge for a rinseless wash. . Need some tips.

I've been rinseless washing with lots of microfiber towels, and it's working well. After seeing more on the Big Red Sponge recently, I ordered one during the sale last week. Tried it for the first time tonight. It seems to work well, and I think it's probably more gentle than a microfiber towel.

They say you're supposed to use the BRS to "apply" the product. I am using WG Uber Rinseless, and when I end up "applying" it with the BRS, I get a ton of dirt on my drying towel. That's not happening when I use MF towels. They seem to lift the dirt away, versus just leaving it suspended in the solution to wipe off with a drying towel. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, when you find a spot that needs more rubbing, and is stubborn, what do you do? I was just rubbing hard, but I realized I was scratching the paint with the method. The BRS won't rub had enough to get those spots, so I guess it's safer in a way. But how do you get those spots?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using the Big Red Sponge for a rinseless wash. . Need some tips.

I don't know the chemistry behind uber but the BRS was designed to work with ONR. There are some good video on the rag company youtube channel that go into more detail about the BRS.

I will say that it works great with ONR especially for those that wash weekly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

it may be true the BRS was designed with ONR in mind, but Autogeek advertises it to use with Suds/Soap

"Use with a high lubricity, high suds shampoo for a safe and effective car wash."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddetailer View Post
    it may be true the BRS was designed with ONR in mind, but Autogeek advertises it to use with Suds/Soap

"Use with a high lubricity, high suds shampoo for a safe and effective car wash."
    It was designed to work with ONR hence the name optimum big red sponge. You can find many videos on the rag company youtube channel that get's into the topic of the BRS and ONR.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ2...hDUG2YA/videos

It should technically work with uber. With regards to having more dirt on the car well that depends on how dirty the car. From re-reading the op's thread everything seems to be working fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
    They say you're supposed to use the BRS to "apply" the product. I am using WG Uber Rinseless, and when I end up "applying" it with the BRS, I get a ton of dirt on my drying towel. That's not happening when I use MF towels. They seem to lift the dirt away, versus just leaving it suspended in the solution to wipe off with a drying towel. Am I doing something wrong?
    If you're getting a ton of dirt on your drying towel, then something is definitely wrong. You may want to re think that sponge, because from the sound of it, it'll have your whole car swirled up in no time.
    Maybe look into the rinseless wash mitt?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually just tried my Big Red sponge and ONR for the first time today. It didn't clean well at all, Drying i picked up black marks on the towel. I used my Edgeless Eagle Blue 16x16 to dry. I also did it in the shade inside the garage too. Not incredibly confident in this product at all (BRS). ONR...we will see, will put my stained edgeless eagle in the washer, I hope it cleans out.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried mine again today too. I think the key is to follow behind with a soaked, but wrung out MF to get the dirty liquid. Then a dry, and there's no dirt on the towel. Still worthwhile, if I don't have to wash 8 MF's each time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did end up diping my drying edgeless eagle towel in the ONR solution..and just wipped after BRS....then dried with another edgeless towel and it came out clean.

But that just tells me I should really just be doing Garry Dean Method. I bet you the ONR rep that uses the BRS is really picking up dark marks on their "waffle weave".

Also if it makes any difference i used Clay Lube ratio pre soak and 1:256 for the bucket with ONR. I even used a rinse bucket with regular water...so I did a 2 bucket method.

Post Thanks / Like

I just used ONR after three weeks daily driver and parked outside using the Ultra Soft Microfiber Rinseless Wash Mitt and it left nothing behind on my waffle weave drying towel. I think the secret to my system is that I use the mit very wet and pre-soak with a Kwazar Mercury Pro + 1 Liter Spray Bottle (33 oz.) and it is very slick because it is coated with Optimum Gloss-Coat Paint Coating .I coated it with two layers just for fun and really makes the ONR wash so simple.The coating and ONR seem to be a perfect match for each other. Before the coating was applied it did not wash as effortlessly.If you are using the BRS on a non coated paint you should try it on coated paint to see if it works better for you. My van seems to be almost cleaned by a simple hard rain a night with this coating.10cc should be enough to apply two coats to most cars.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
    I've been rinseless washing with lots of microfiber towels, and it's working well. After seeing more on the Big Red Sponge recently, I ordered one during the sale last week. Tried it for the first time tonight. It seems to work well, and I think it's probably more gentle than a microfiber towel.

You will see dirt on your waffle weave when using the BRS. Perfectly normal. The solution suspends the dirt, allowing pickup with the waffle weave. Wash waffle weaves together and you'll be fine.

Also, when you find a spot that needs more rubbing, and is stubborn, what do you do? I was just rubbing hard, but I realized I was scratching the paint with the method. The BRS won't rub had enough to get those spots, so I guess it's safer in a way. But how do you get those spots?

Pre-soak with some rinseless dilution, or a cleaner depending on what the spot is.

Thanks!
    See bold.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast