autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Streaks on window after cleaning

My Mazda 6 has ceramic window tint on all 6 windows. Yes, there is even clear tint on the windshield for the heat reduction properties it has. I thought I'd mention this since I'm not certain if the tint has an effect on the streaking.

I use Vinegar-based Windex to clean the windows along with some cross stitched microfiber towels. I normally spray a generous amount of Windex all over my windshield and then wipe it with 2 towels. I tried 1 towel before, but this leaves a TON of horrible streaks; apparently you can't just let the windex dry by itself after wiping it. So I moved to 2 towels: I wipe quickly with 1 just to smear the solution around and get it generally clean. Then I quickly use my other towel which I keep dry to go back over and wipe off the streaks. If it's sunny enough, this doesn't work because the Windex solution dries so quick and I can't get the streaks wiped off.

At this point I am not sure what to do. I can't get rid of the streaks. They are most evident when you are looking at the window through direct sunlight and in the worst case is VERY dangerous as it makes the window appear completely fogged and you can't see through it!

Is this a problem with my method? Is this caused by the tint? Or is this a chemical problem? Should I switch to something else? I only went with Vinegar Windex because I was told to avoid ammonia-based cleaners. Advice is greatly appreciated!!!

I should also note: Before I posted here about it, I searched to find people with similar problems. I got good advice, such as not mixing microfiber towels together to avoid cross-contamination of them, which could result in contaminants from outside the car or from interior cleaners (seats, dash, etc) getting smeared on the window. I wash my window cleaning towels separately from the others, to be even more paranoid. I also switched to waffle-weave (cross-stitch) microfiber as well as part of my findings. At this point nothing has helped so I'm at a loss, and thus decided to post. Just wanted to share this for those that might suggest me to look around...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Streaks on window after cleaning

It's a chemical problem. Buy some of this and use as directed. Dilute it with distilled bottled water. Compared to that Windex, it'll blow your mind how good this works.

http://www.autogeek.net/mg12001.html

Post Thanks / Like

Try a "spray wax" on all windows except the windshield. That alone might resolve the problem on those windows. Use the spray wax for a final wipe after washing with a good solution (stoners invisible glass is a nice one). For the spray wax, I like Duragloss Aquawax and Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax. Just a very light spritz, spread/wipe until dry, then flip towel to dry side and do a very light final wipe.

For the windshield, I don't like putting the spray wax on. I find the trick to be a final wipe with a VERY light touch and dry mf towel. It's also possible your towels could have soap residue in them from washing. Using a detergent like HD Towel Kleen is important. It rinses cleanly from the towels.

In my experience, streaky glass is more often a result of residual residue in "clean" towels than it is a problem with the glass product itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Also less is more. Try spraying your microfiber towel then applying the windex. Then wipe off any excess with a second clean microfiber towel. If this doesn't work then the window tint is your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Try a "spray wax" on all windows except the windshield. That alone might resolve the problem on those windows. Use the spray wax for a final wipe after washing with a good solution (stoners invisible glass is a nice one). For the spray wax, I like Duragloss Aquawax and Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax. Just a very light spritz, spread/wipe until dry, then flip towel to dry side and do a very light final wipe.

For the windshield, I don't like putting the spray wax on. I find the trick to be a final wipe with a VERY light touch and dry mf towel. It's also possible your towels could have soap residue in them from washing. Using a detergent like HD Towel Kleen is important. It rinses cleanly from the towels.

In my experience, streaky glass is more often a result of residual residue in "clean" towels than it is a problem with the glass product itself.
    To be fair I used the waffle weave towels fresh out of the box after I bought them. So I don't think it's the normal HE detergent I use... although, you're saying that is problematic by itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer View Post
    To be fair I used the waffle weave towels fresh out of the box after I bought them. So I don't think it's the normal HE detergent I use... although, you're saying that is problematic by itself?
    Personally, I doubt the HE soap is a problem. I don't have that issue. I think microfiber washing products are a gimmick. As long as you use FREE Natural HE soap to wash the towels should be fine. I do highly suggest the Megs D120 Glass cleaner. It is great stuff, and really not expensive.
    PurdyDetail.com
    Shine | Reflection | Protection
    Servicing, Montreal, and North Shore.

Post Thanks / Like

It's also often recommended to launder towels before first use. Chemicals/dyes used in the manufacturing process could contribute to streaks? It's just a "best practice" and may or may not help you out. You could also try a short extra rinse cycle to be on the safe side. I alway do it for my glass towels. Can't hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srpurdy View Post
    Personally, I doubt the HE soap is a problem. I don't have that issue. I think microfiber washing products are a gimmick. As long as you use FREE Natural HE soap to wash the towels should be fine. I do highly suggest the Megs D120 Glass cleaner. It is great stuff, and really not expensive.
    I've used All Free and Clear for years for washing my MF Towels. I do like 3d Towel Kleen too.

Get Stoner's Glass Cleaner it's one of the best.

The guy who has tinted all of my cars for the past 15 years swears by it as his pre tint glass cleaner.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I've used All Free and Clear for years for washing my MF Towels. I do like 3d Towel Kleen too.

Get Stoner's Glass Cleaner it's one of the best.

^^ exactly what I do. I use exactly the same and have zero issues. I have Llumar Ceramic on all including the windshield and sunroof. Stoners is the way to go for sure. I buy it in bulk as it works great around the house for mirrors and windows too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The Towels.
    - Short pile and medium pile microfiber towels / 350gsm
    - Waffle weave towels are great for glass, but not by themselves.
    - Wash with free and clear liquid detergent only. Powder detergent will ruin your MF towels and scratch glass.
    - You can also use dish soap in place of laundry detergent.
    - Never use towels straight out of the box for detail application, always wash and dry them first.

Towel Management.
    You have to treat glass the same way you treat paint, even more so.
    An immediate all over wiping motion will simply rub in the surface dirt all over the panel and scratch it.
    - Never use a dry towel on a panel surface, so at least dampen the towel.
    - Heavily saturate the panel with product.
    - Fold towel to eight sides.
    - Start at the top, and work your way to the bottom of panel.
    - Single passes, constantly flipping the towel to a new side for each news pass.
    - Once panel is clean, then the panel is clear for an all over wipe approach, with a clean towel.
    - Multiple towels are often necessary for very dirty glass.

Product:
    The vinegar based Windex product is all wrong for both glass and protective film, tinted or not.
    I know Windex makes at least two vinegar based surface cleaners, neither of which is suitable for this task.
    Typically, you want to avoid anything vinegar (citric acid) for protective film or tint film.

There are some really great glass cleaners that work great on both glass and film, and some terrible ones as well.
    Which one you choose will require research.
    I would suggest something free of dyes and perfumes, for film.
    For glass decontamination cleaner, I suggest Duragloss 761 to start.
    Griot's Garage Window Cleaner is a good all around free and clear glass cleaner.
    Stoner's Invisible Glass is excellent, but solvent heavy, so keep that in mind when cleaning interior glass.

In your case, because what you have appears to be some form of light damage, I would suggest some decontamination steps, followed by some form of glass polishing.
    Most clear films can be polished, but you will need to research your specific film to get the answer to that, in order to be sure.

As for polymer based window cleaners, including detail sprays and spray waxes that are safe on glass, I suggest to avoid this.
    I have tried all kinds of the above, and have yet to achieve results that were really favorable.
    In every case, there have been issues with defrosting, smearing due to product polymer dissipation, and windshield wiper saturation of the polymer product that leads to smearing.
    Save yourself from the issues that can arise using polymer based products on glass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast