autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool BMW 650i Gran Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic

Hi All,

First post so please go easy on me =) Been doing alot of reading, but as many as I have read, I haven't found exactly what I am looking for since there are so many products out there. I just bought a BMW 650i Gran Coupe that's black sapphire metallic. From what I have read, this particular color of paint is hard. The car currently has small to medium swirls with a few scratches. I think I understand the process but what I would like to know is what products should I use. Please see below for my questions and steps

1. Wash - What shampoo should I go with?
    2. Dry
    3. Clay - Are all clays create the same? Any recommendation on a particular one?
    4. Swirl removal - I just bought a GG6 DA. Does this come with a velcro base? I want to buy a set of pads that can help me remove swirls, polish, and finish but I do not know what color pads I should get by Lake Country. Should I get the thin version or the normal version? I was thinking going with Chemical Guys V36, any other suggestions? I am all ears
    5. Polishing - Pad color suggestion and a polish suggestion
    6. Finishing - Winter is coming up but I live in Texas. Please recommend a pad color and a sealant

Thank you experts so much in advance!! Take care and have a wonderful day!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW 650i Gran Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline from BMW fatherland!

1. There are so many to choose from.
    2. The less you touch it during drying the better off you will be from installing marring. Use a leaf blower to help dry.
    3. For a first time claying I would use something more aggressive than a hobby grade clay. Look into the blue Meguiar's professional clay or a clay alternative from Nanoskin.
    4. I would equip this machine with a 5" plate and 5.5" pads from Lake Country.
    5. Pick up the orange and white pads for your compounding and polishing needs. I would grab 6 of each color. Grab a few red pads for sealant application.
    6. Check out the Wolfgang line of products for your BMW. They work very well with German paint IME.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also thinking about using opti coat or cquartz finest. Do these count as sealant or does it go on top of the sealant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B00st4ddicted View Post
    4. Swirl removal - I just bought a GG6 DA. Does this come with a velcro base? I want to buy a set of pads that can help me remove swirls, polish, and finish but I do not know what color pads I should get by Lake Country. Should I get the thin version or the normal version?
    pick up this backing plate and some thinpro pads (as mike mentioned above, 6 each of both the orange and white and they come in a 6pk so two of those). you can always pick up some more aggressive pads at a later time if needed but these should cover your basis..

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 Inch 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Post Thanks / Like

I am also thinking about using opti coat or cquartz finest. Do these count as sealant or does it go on top of the sealant?
    Those are professional level products only and you wont be able to get your hands on them.

You can however get the consumer version which would be CQuartz or Gloss Coat. I would not recommend a coating such as these to a first timer.

Post Thanks / Like

If dead set on coating, WG Uber Ceramic or McKees Paint Coating are very easy to work with. If you'd rather go with an easy, durable sealant WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is nice.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get very good results with the chemical guys line of polishes and compounds. Just letting you know beforehand!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So far from what everyone is saying I should not go with Chemical Guys line and Wolfgang line is highly recommended. Got more questions:
    1. Why use a thin pad and why use 5.5 instead of 6.5?
    2. Seems like ceramic coating is not really recommended and I should go with a sealant. May I know why? or is it just that ceramic coating is hard to apply?
    3. How long does the foam pad lasts and why 6?
    4. Should I just use everything from Wolfgang for swirl removal to polishing to finishing or are there better alternative for my specific color?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!!

Post Thanks / Like

So far from what everyone is saying I should not go with Chemical Guys line and Wolfgang line is highly recommended. Got more questions:
    1. Why use a thin pad and why use 5.5 instead of 6.5?
    2. Seems like ceramic coating is not really recommended and I should go with a sealant. May I know why? or is it just that ceramic coating is hard to apply?
    3. How long does the foam pad lasts and why 6?
    4. Should I just use everything from Wolfgang for swirl removal to polishing to finishing or are there better alternative for my specific color?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!!
    Your MUCH better off with Wolfgang vs. Chemical guys.

1. Thin small pads allow the machine to work more effectively.
    2. It takes time and practice to properly apply a coating. You need to make sure the surface is 100% free of polishing oils and also applied correctly without leaving high spots behind.
    3. Pads generally last a long time. At the very minimum you want to have a fresh pad after two panels. After polishing the front fender and door, its time to get a fresh pad for the rear door/quarter.
    4. You dont have to use the entire product line from Wolfgang but you will be well suited using the line to maintain product synergistic compatibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

First post so please go easy on me =) Been doing alot of reading, but as many as I have read, I haven't found exactly what I am looking for since there are so many products out there. I just bought a BMW 650i Gran Coupe that's black sapphire metallic. From what I have read, this particular color of paint is hard. The car currently has small to medium swirls with a few scratches. I think I understand the process but what I would like to know is what products should I use. Please see below for my questions and steps

1. Wash - What shampoo should I go with?
    2. Dry
    3. Clay - Are all clays create the same? Any recommendation on a particular one?
    4. Swirl removal - I just bought a GG6 DA. Does this come with a velcro base? I want to buy a set of pads that can help me remove swirls, polish, and finish but I do not know what color pads I should get by Lake Country. Should I get the thin version or the normal version? I was thinking going with Chemical Guys V36, any other suggestions? I am all ears
    5. Polishing - Pad color suggestion and a polish suggestion
    6. Finishing - Winter is coming up but I live in Texas. Please recommend a pad color and a sealant

Thank you experts so much in advance!! Take care and have a wonderful day!!
    First, congrats on a what I'm sure is a beautiful car. I know the styling and IMO it's very nice. Also, welcome to the second job of keeping a black car beautiful. I know that one well.

In terms of your questions here's my $.02

1. I use Meg's gold class. Works great, lots of suds and very slick. Priced well too. Available locally at Autozone, Wally World and online just about everywhere.

2. Drying wise, I do blow-dry most all the time. Not so much for not wanting to scratch but mainly because I want water out of the crevices and seams. Works great and best on wheels. Next, I always use Wolfgang Uber and a quality 16x16 drying towel such as Griots. Uber is by far the best rinseless and offers tremendous versatility including being mixed as a drying aid and then doubles as a detail spray too. Very slick and adds gloss back after each wash.

3. Clay is old-school for me. I moved to Nano sponges and swear by them. Cheap, very effective, marring if done correctly is minimal to none and they last and last. I use either WG Uber as a lube or if doing a bucket wash I use Meg's gold in a small pale of water as my lube. Works great.

Prior to that however, I would suggest using Car Pro Iron-X. I swear by chemically decontaminating with it. Most noticable on white and light colors but you will be in need of it too. Does wonders on wheels too.

4. Can't comment ont he buffer but I hear good things about GG units. I have a Flex 3401 and a smaller Non Force Rotation Porter Cable in my bag. Product wise, there are tons of great polishes for this level of correction. Menzerna is an awesome line up of products, but honestly, I keep falling back to Meg's Ultimate Polish many times. I also use HD Cut and HD Polish. Keeping it simple for you and again, available locally is Meg's Ulitmate Polish. Meg's 205 is the same/similar. I'm not a huge Chem Guys user so I can't comment on their linup.

5. Pad wise, you'll likely use an orange lake country and I would suggest the "thin" line of their pads on your buffer. They finish well and the thin line will rotate and perform better on that buffer.

6. Finish wise, I would Suggest McKee's 37 Coating. Put two coats on and you're done. Bar far the easist to use. Gloss is on par with the others. There are others that last longer but let's be real, this is a daily to a regular use car right?......You're going to get marks or swirls or have a need of some type to re-polish or touch up the car within the next 1-2 yrs. Even just regular road-grime that Mike Phillips talks about in an artical/wonderful write-up will be an issue for you. That said, keep it simple and buy a coating that matches that need. Save the money and enjoy teh results and the ease of application.

I have customers that insist on those products and I don't offer them unless they are the kind of customer who litterally won't be touching their car for more than 24 months. I warn them that while coatings help with micro marring that us detailers sweat over, they will scratch when going through tunnel washes or brush-based wash systems so don't expect a defect free look if you do those things. Protection wise, yes they will bead and last longer than a sealant. In the end I suggest McKee's for you.

Good luck and keep us posted. Looking forward to seeing pics.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast