autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultima Tire and Trim Guard question

I'm trying UTTG for the first time. It went on the textured type trim nicely (bumpers, rocker panel trim). But on black plastic rear view mirrors, I checked it a day later and it was tacky feeling. Just a light touch with my finger and it would leave a finger print. I tried to wipe it off and it was kinda like wiping honey off the kitchen counter. I really had to go at it for a few minutes with the mf to get it all off. Was this a mistake? Should I have given it more time? If I'd have left it, I'm sure it would have picked up dust.

Is this just normal behavior when used on some types of plastic? Does WETS do the same thing? I've got some, just haven't used it yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultima Tire and Trim Guard question

Wets in my one purchase buy did the same thing.I left it it alone and attracted dust.Blackfire is much better I think.Deos the same job but dries in minutes to the touch.

Post Thanks / Like

You've got to wipe down the excess before it dries, especially on smooth surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You've got to wipe down the excess before it dries, especially on smooth surfaces.
    ^^ this. Haven't used Ultima but I have used and do use WETS quite a bit. Key is to use less product and 'work' it into the surface vs layering it on thicker. Either way, let it soak for 20 minutes or longer then use a cheaper MF Rag to wipe off excess and blend any shiny or thicker areas to a matt finish. This will result in a very nice uniform "like new" look to the trim and also eliminate any dust or dirt build up / attaction.

The bottom half of both this Ford and Toyota were done with the above technique and WETS. That said I'm going to be ordering some Ultima to try it out.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

May have just used a bit too much on the smooth plastic mirrors, & maybe there was some other product left over on them if they weren't cleaned well. UTTG really lasts a long time though so you'll be happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I looked more closely at some of the other areas I applied the product to. They were dust covered and the dust was embedded real good. I had to start over from scratch. Stripped the areas and reapplied following your advise. Much better the second time around. Nice product. I think I was overapplying by a long shot, but we're back on track.

The UTTG reminds me a lot of the DG 253 Tire and Rubber Dressing. A very similar product, but just much less concentrated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    ^^ this. Haven't used Ultima but I have used and do use WETS quite a bit. Key is to use less product and 'work' it into the surface vs layering it on thicker. Either way, let it soak for 20 minutes or longer then use a cheaper MF Rag to wipe off excess and blend any shiny or thicker areas to a matt finish. This will result in a very nice uniform "like new" look to the trim and also eliminate any dust or dirt build up / attaction.

The bottom half of both this Ford and Toyota were done with the above technique and WETS. That said I'm going to be ordering some Ultima to try it out.

Beautiful Job Man! The cars look Gorgeous!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a HUGE fan of WETS myself. To avoid the dust problems, it is key to use a minimal amount and work it in, like was said above. and if any extra product builds up, just Buff it off. I love it on my Tires also, and it Lasts a Very Long Time!