autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Resisting Water Spots

I've got a 2015 Black GMC Sierra. I'm curious if there's any good products to resist water spot deposits. After washing and drying the vehicle, tiny outlines of water spots are visible about 1mm in diameter that creates a hazed look in the paint.

I did the whole truck with Ultimate Polish and LC white pads when I first purchased it 9 months ago. I've also sealed with Ultimate Liquid Wax which seems to last a while in terms of water beading. Do I need more protection though? Like a Collinite 845 or 476 topper?

My truck sits outside mostly, and Im sure the black paint helps cook in water spots. Is a bi-annual light polish just going to be standard?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Resisting Water Spots

Sorry to tell you this man but nothing really resists water spot deposits. The various minerals in the water depending on water hardness will eat everything from clearcoat to coatings to wax to sealants. The best thing to do after you wash and dry your vehicle is to go over it with a quick detailer OR if you have the patience for it, buy like 6 gallons of distilled water and pour it on your car after you're done washing the car. That way the water will dry clear after instead of leaving you any hard water spots. What I do after I wash the car is to go out and drive around for like 15 minutes where I can give it a bit more speed, that way it gets a lot of the water out of the cracks and the like so you can dry it off better. Or you may want to switch to a rinseless wash, wash and dry panel by panel instead of breaking out the hoses and what not.

Post Thanks / Like

Water spots can be reduced with a water filtration system. Keeping a sealant on the finish will help repell water spots. Drying the vehicle immediately after washing or rain. I have a white truck and it shows every dark spec.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Check out CR-Spotless or something similar.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured it's just nature of the beast. Not as worried about spots from washing as I dry it off after, more about the outside elements. bhonshell42 is right, Im sure the only prevention is to dry the vehicle after it rains.

Just was wondering if certain LSP/waxes have noticeably better protection.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a positive experience with Sonax polymer net shield. This is a spray. When applied, there is some grabbing by the product but to be expected. The water beading is wonderful in my opinion. And to dry my vehicles, I use the Masterblaster side kick.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I 2nd the Sonax Polymer Net Shield. It is the best I have found to resist water spotting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPPM View Post
    I 2nd the Sonax Polymer Net Shield. It is the best I have found to resist water spotting.
    +1. SPNS is better than coatings at reducing water spots. Zero on any car with PNS that I've maintained.

Post Thanks / Like

i have PNS and I have coatings, NONE will completely prevent water spots. if water in any manner is left on the paint no matter what LSP you have it will spot. the worst cones form unknown road sources and then the evil sprinkler heads. Carpors water spot remover get used regularly as a inbetween wash item on all my coated and SPNS cars. ive been searching and have not found anything to keep those spots at bay

Post Thanks / Like

I have a CR Spotless DI unit and it is a godsend. No water spots and no drying the car (although sometimes I still dry it if it's going to be driven right away). The resin is pricey at $150 a refill, which I can get about 15-20 complete washes. I will never be without one again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast